• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce engines

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I'm a slowpoke. I tend to keep it around 45 (50 if I'm in a hurry).

I know there are many people that run miles on end at 55+ with no ill effects but I've also seen lots of blocks with rods hanging out them. I tend to keep it off the governor just to be safe.

Trango

Clearly the army wanted to go let the deuce go faster than 45, or they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of modifying a big heavy diesel engine to go above 2200RPM, and they wouldn't have modified the gasser's transmission to have an overdrive 4th gear when used with the MF engine.-Chuck
So this is an interesting topic, at least for me. :)

The overdrive 4th (and yes, this is indeed correct, the 4th gear became the OD gear, explaining the shift pattern!) is mostly, IMO, a compensation for the extraordinarily low axle gear ratio (6.72).

The axles have a low ratio to keep driveline torque down (with cascading design needs and tolerances back through the transfer case, transmission, clutch, and engine), and the axles are also double reduction, allowing for a very high (and thus more protected) driveshaft, with excellent ujoint angles.

So, yes, the Overdrive gear is obviously included for higher road speed, but why it's there brings up an interesting issue overall with running these vehicles at speeds higher than convoy speed, which is driveline speed and its associated implications (engine RPM, transmission gearing, transfer case lubrication, tire size and also, theoretically, critical driveshaft speed). IMO, all of these need to be thought of when running these vehicles stock at higher speeds, and especially even more when a single component out of this group is changed.

I love talking about these trucks. They are great platforms, but there are definitely issues with them that need addressing if they are to have good-to-excellent high speed road manners.

Best,
Bob

stumps

So this is an interesting topic, at least for me. :)

The overdrive 4th (and yes, this is indeed correct, the 4th gear became the OD gear, explaining the shift pattern!) is mostly, IMO, a compensation for the extraordinarily low axle gear ratio (6.72).
They pretty well had to put the OD 4th in the MF's transmission, or the MF trucks wouldn't be able to keep up with the gassers. The axles between the two are the same, as are the tires.

The top end of the MF engine is much slower than the gasser. The old gasser went to 60MPH with its 1:1 5th gear.

-Chuck

AtomicHillbilly

I believe that answers a lot of my questions. I just love the whine of those whistler turbos. Can't get that out of a minivan... or an H3... There's just something about diesel that puts 'hair on yer chest'!

About the speed thing- I guess I will just have to keep it slow, plain and simple. Luckily if I drive it to work I only have to drive 10 miles.

I'm just waiting on a Gavin. I would be willing to drive slow if I could roll up to Home Depot in an APC.

~J

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks