• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce external fuel pump?

DB556

Well as a part of my build I'm converting everything on my truck to 12v except the starter, 120v inverter and hydraulic pump. But still have a intank 24v fuel pump.
So anybody know of a good 12v pump that I could put on the frame rail? That and a 12v fuel tank switch, planning on dual fuel tanks in the future.
That and if anybody has gone to a frame mounted pump what did you do with your tank pickup?

Thanks!

rustystud

Well as a part of my build I'm converting everything on my truck to 12v except the starter, 120v inverter and hydraulic pump. But still have a intank 24v fuel pump.
So anybody know of a good 12v pump that I could put on the frame rail? That and a 12v fuel tank switch, planning on dual fuel tanks in the future.
That and if anybody has gone to a frame mounted pump what did you do with your tank pickup?

Thanks!
Why the conversion ? The 24 volt system is far superior to the 12 volt one. Better battery charging and better lights. Faster engine cranking too. You can also easily install a "Battery Welder" on a 24 Volt system.
Granted you cannot get a "jump start" from just anyone, but that is a small thing.
Our transit buses are all 24 volt. They would not keep it if it didn't work as well as a 12 volt system.

ToddJK

Here's where I'd start 🤷
This thread has discussions on external and internal fuel pumps, the kind of fuel pumps, and how some plumbed the dual tanks.

DB556

Why the conversion ? The 24 volt system is far superior to the 12 volt one. Better battery charging and better lights. Faster engine cranking too. You can also easily install a "Battery Welder" on a 24 Volt system.
Granted you cannot get a "jump start" from just anyone, but that is a small thing.
Our transit buses are all 24 volt. They would not keep it if it didn't work as well as a 12 volt system.
I still have a 24v system/alternator but its only for the starter, my big 24v power inverter and the 24v hydraulic pump for my crane.
Since I replaced all the gauges with autometer z series and converted all the lights to LED there no need to keep small stuff at 24v.
Plus the fire department that I my deuce from did a butcher job on the wiring harness(5 different wire diameters, and types house 14-2 romex in some spots!) making half the truck 12v and some 24v
So I ripped everything out and started from scratch.

fleetmech

All else aside, If I was going to put an external, aftermarket 12v pump on my truck, Id look at a full fuel system like used on modified pickups. A nice FASS or Airdog would supply all the fuel you need, and you could eliminate all the stock military filter systems and feed nice 2 micron filtered, water separated fuel directly into the booster pump inlet. Thats a savings in space and weight, with better filtration and more commonly available filters.

DB556

All else aside, If I was going to put an external, aftermarket 12v pump on my truck, Id look at a full fuel system like used on modified pickups. A nice FASS or Airdog would supply all the fuel you need, and you could eliminate all the stock military filter systems and feed nice 2 micron filtered, water separated fuel directly into the booster pump inlet. Thats a savings in space and weight, with better filtration and more commonly available filters.
I've already removed all the stock military filters, and have a dual filter system with CAT 1R0750 2 microns and a CAT primary/water separator filter that I'm forgetting

rustystud

I like that system.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why not just use a 12v version of the in-tank fuel pump? The exact same body, just a 12v version. Can be found on ebay easily.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks