• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce failure to start

maahes

Checked all my fittings and found one a little loose on the top return lines. Still same issues
Pulled the covers and checked timing, was spot on.
Pulled injector lines and HH, the button and clip are still attached to the base of the HH

I pulled the dust cover on the front of the FDC and found the fuel delivery adjustment bolt was showing 0.27in of thread. The picture in the sticky says the "factory" is 0.15in. If that's correct, somewhere down the line the fuel was turned up and I'm wondering if it was done because of this problem before.
I didnt want to turn it up more without checking.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
dang, so many problems!! first the droop would never have anything to do with starting. droop is measured at 1500 rpm, i usually just take the droop adj screw out, it will have better mid range power. next and be sure to believe this, the red painted tooth with the scribe line has NOTHING to do with timing. it is just a position indicator for removing the HH. with the balancer mark set correctly, the real timingf mark on the IP, (the one under the small cover with 4 bolts) will line up exactly. at this time the red tooth will be one tooth to the rear from the pointer cast in the housing. (and also at this time the HH will not come out or you will break things in the IP, many people do it seems)

now on to more. running out of fuel is real hard on the HH and will cause a worn but still working HH to quickly wear out and stop pumping at low rpms, like idle or anything under 1000 rpm. this can happen in only a few minutes of time. really. this is a classic example of that happening. if it will start on starting fluid and run if kept above 1000 - 1200 rpm, it is almost certainly a bad HH. this assumes all timing is correct as one tooth off or the fairly common 180 out will result in problems also.

oh also, turning up the fuel is very ill advised. when the engine is not running the fuel rate is by default set to max by the gov. this is the case on most mechanical injection diesels as they start better that way.

tom

Last edited:

maahes

Finally got the new HH from China yesterday and got out to install it today.
The only thing I did after the install was bleed fuel at the filters and drain the water from the primary.

Got in, throttle lever all the way in, foot off the pedal, master power on, pushed the start button and after about 6 seconds it roared to life! YAY FINALLY /HAPPYDANCE!!!

Idles without issue at about 800 and no stalling on clutch in. Drove around the block, about 4 miles, and had no problems. Got back and checked for leaks and it all looks good.

Feels good to have this problem finaly behind me so I can start on the next project :)

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions, I couldn't have fixed this without you all!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks