• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Fan Clutch

dabtl

Has anyone tried a fan clutch on the M35? Is there one that can be adapted?

It seems to me that after 40 years of service that would have been a great item to increase power. The first that I saw on a vehicle was in the 1970's I think. I am amazed the deuce never had one.

Keith_J

Yes, electric. You only need the fan when you are pulling a heavy load at low road speeds. Above about 30 MPH, no fan is needed. Deep water fording requires the fan belt to be removed. Of course, it isn't needed once the bottom of the radiator is wet.

Mark2X2

Dabtl,
We have a couple 1995 Chevrolet school buses, Blue bird chassis, 3116 Cat, 5 spd. They refused to heat up in the winter, they would literally run so cold they wouldn't run. New thermostats, cold weather fronts, nothing helped. Finally we took the fans off in early December installed them again end of March or so. Just open and close the cold fronts as needed. We have a couple newer 5 spds & the automatics are fine. I have driven them all & can't tell the difference.
If you are making your living with your Deuce, or driving a pile of miles. It might be worth doing. If you joy ride, don't really haul anything, my guess is you will never re-coup your investment in fuel savings. If you work the crap out of it, or it's hot the fan will run anyway. But if you think you need to do it, have at it.
Mark
M35A2 Deuce
M105A2 Trailer
M101A1 Trailer
3)Rokons

militarysteel

i am going to take my fan off, i just shortened my m35a2, i'll let you know if its faster with the fan gone, ill take it on the eway and cruise 10 or 20 miles, see if there isn't any power gain, or MPG gain,
i have this hunch i will not notice, but its a big enough difference, i will keep it that way and throw a couple electric fans on there, for when i am in the dream cruise,

oddshot

I ordered 2 - twelve inch fans for mine and hope to have them installed this week. I also got an idea for a set of no-cost de-splined front hubs.

I use my truck quite a bit ... I think the power and MPH's are just fine ...

If I could get the MPG's up to 10 on a WMO mix, I'd be a pretty happy camper.

oddshot