• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce-First MV- Big Ol' Grin

JeremiahS

So, a 1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Cargo truck has finally taken it's rightful place in my driveway. I was offering a nice boat and dirtbike for trade early this spring, but no bites. Worked out for the best, cause now I have everything!

Thanks to Tom Donely for letting me come take a look at his trucks. It was just a matter of time after that day.

Thanks to Brandon Moore for holding the truck for a micro deposit.

She is a Winch truck with D turbo, troop seats and personnel heater. 15k miles since '90 rebuild

We made the 115 mile trip to Canton, OH yesterday. Brandon had the truck ready to go, and had already loaded the four 55gal drums of WMO/diesel he gave me with the truck. A quick walk through and I was on the road. There were a few anxious moments getting back to the interstate. I was getting to know the beast, and didn't fully trust the brakes yet. Keeping in mind that a small mistake on my part could seriously injure someone- I was cautious. Not to mention that I had to look at the shifting diagram every time I changed gears.
I left work early to try and beat the rain. I failed. Everything was open on the truck, closed it up while driving except for passenger windshield cause I couldn't get one of the locks loose. It was cold, water was coming in everywhere, and I didn't have adequate clothing for the weather. Did anyone mention that these things are loud? I didn't notice the noise on my little test drives. I think I was too excited to be in a deuce. Well, I noticed it on the drive home. Admittingly nervous, cold, wet and deaf; and I still could not combat the smile that was forceably stretched across my face. We got ahead of the rain and I was happy to come home to a back yard that wasn't too sloppy. Turned the truck around so that it faced the road and the house. After a cool down, I reluctantly killed the engine and retired for the night. I managed to sneak a few glances through the bedroom window without my fiance catching me and calling me a dork.
This morning was one of those times it is good to be your own boss. I own an Exterior Restoration company, and there was just enough rain in the forcast to call it a day. Pass out a little payroll, and race home to do something, anything, with the finest compilation of steel components I have come across. Took my sister on a short drive on my way to the storage building. They opted to take the passenger vehicle to breakfast. (Hello? Troop Seats! How much more passenger can you get?) After breakfast, we took the deuce to our three year old daughters new preschool to enroll. It was her and my fiance's first ride, just a few miles. We took the car to title dept and dmv. I expressed an interest in registering deuce as a farm truck at the dmv. (It was registered as an antique, and I have read here that it is difficult to reclassify once it is considered antique) They told me to have it weighed and buy the plates. Cool, but scales at the dump close in half hour. Race home, luckily the truck is still warm.
She weighed in at 15,600 since the drums of oil were in the back. A little more on the tags, but the process was super simple, and now I am legal for whatever I might want to do with the truck.
I am much more comfortable in the truck. I absolutely love driving it, and took it through some tight places in town on the way home. I did most of the 135 point inspection that I got from the TMs, and I think I really got a good truck. I can't wait to get in some miles offroad, although I doubt I will be swimming through a mudbog any time soon. Watching the videos on you tube are good enough. I would rather watch and let someone else do the repairs.

So it has been said, but this site is truly amazing. The people are great, and the info is invaluable. Thanks to those whose information has already benefited me, and for all that will surely come.

Hopefully these pics turn out...

Attachments

DieselBob

Congratulations on the deuce purchase. Sounds like you have a good truck there. Nice to hear you are going through the TM's and giving it a good check. I know the feeling about the shift pattern I have had mine several years and still miss the 3 ~ 4 shift every now and again and end up in 5th. :oops:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on getting your new A2. The truck looks very nice and I'm glad you had an uneventful drive home, except for the rain. You are smart starting out by reading the TMs.

JeremiahS

My first project will probably be brake related. Probably start by adjusting the pedal, and go from there. The brakes seem fine, but I want to make sure they are reliable. Previous owner did annual filter changes, so I should be good there.
I am amazed at how much there is to learn about these trucks. This is a new ball game to me.

I will be filtering and stocking up on fuel reserves. The reason we got the truck now is for a bail out vehicle, although I am sure we would eventually have one anyway.
So, bail out bags, food stock, and emergency/survival supplies are first on the 'to buy' list. Then I will determine what parts/tools/supplies I can keep on the truck to keep it running away from home.

And a whole lot more time spent reading on this site.

eagle4g63

It looks like you had a recovery like I did with mine......nice day and all, then start home and it starts pouring rain!!! At least my windows were closed(all the seals leaked like crazy spraying water all over me) and my divers wiper decided to stop working!!

Great to see you also have a Harbor freight lift in the back like me:beer: Gotta have that for the oil, makes life easier.

Hope you enjoy the truck, I love mine!!!

Oh yea, shoot your chain through the other "d" ring, it won't rattle around and clang as much.

Attachments

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard Jeremiah. It's nice to see someone so close to home on the site. I'm only about 1/2 hour from you (Between Cambridge and St. Clairsville) . Good looking truck, if you need anything let me know.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard new deuce owner from a former Ohio Valley Resident.
St. Clairsville, huh ? . . . I grew up in Bellaire, and still have family there, as well as Martins Ferry and St. Clairsville. I crashed alot of cars at the Belmont County Fair Demo Derbies back in the day.

It looks and sounds like you got a good truck. Congrats !
[thumbzup]

Sounds like a nice truck. I'm not too far away from you in Youngstown, OH. I recently got an A3 and am still bouncing off the walls....I know how you feel :)

DeucesWild11

Congrats! The truck looks great! You won't realize how much fun they are.. I can't stop smiling every time I take it out.. Get yourself familiar with the brake system and how it operates.. I remember when I got mine not that long ago.. I was looking all over the engine compartment for the master cylinder.. Ha! And now I have already re-built the airpack and M/C..

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got one of those orange cranes like you have from Harbor freight. I mounted the same way, but in a 109 box. Doh, the crank is on the wrong side !!!