• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce flat tow question

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Towing 1 to 1 (weight) is bad enough and takes a great deal of attention. A modern 1 ton truck is just over 1/2 a deuce, NOT a good plan. Go is not a problem, stop is, steering is optional, just ask the wandering deuce and the 1 ton wheel chock in front.

ODdave

Not quite true, you will be able to turn just don't try any sharp ones. From my experience tying the steering wheel to limit travel will reduce the chances of towed wheels pointing the wrong direction when making a turn. Some wheel dragging will result on a sharp turn but is a better option than being dragged to a halt by wheels turned the wrong direction, ask me how I know! If you plan on towing a deuce, please find a deuce or a 5 ton to tow it with! You can tie the brakes together very easily. Did you win a new deuce? I hope you get it home with no problems!
Lock the wheels straight on a 13,000lb truck, Hook a 6k truck to it and try to turn in anything sharper than a city block. If you "tie" the wheel off its still gonna move a little.

spentshell

Here's some video to show you how exciting flat towing is, just take your time and keep on your toes. We never went over 45 mph, I'm not sure what the top speed is to safely tow but 45 seemed to safe.
[media]http://www.ny-tactical.com/Video/MVs/TomsTow.wmv[/media]

Emmett

I have never ( I shouldn't have said the N word) seen in a TM to tie down the steering wheel. I have tried to tow a larger vehicle with a smaller vehicle with little success. I pulled a M109A3 with a Gamagoat and couldn't get out of 3rd gear. When I made a turn the Deuce "pushed" the rear of the Goat where it wanted to go.
Trying to do things half assed will create major problems...spend the bucks and have a professional, with good insurance, tow your Deuce. In the end you will probably be happier with little drama.

nk14zp

I have never ( I shouldn't have said the N word) seen in a TM to tie down the steering wheel. I have tried to tow a larger vehicle with a smaller vehicle with little success. I pulled a M109A3 with a Gamagoat and couldn't get out of 3rd gear. When I made a turn the Deuce "pushed" the rear of the Goat where it wanted to go.
Trying to do things half assed will create major problems...spend the bucks and have a professional, with good insurance, tow your Deuce. In the end you will probably be happier with little drama.
In H8 school they told us to tie the wheel.

phil2968

Lock the wheels straight on a 13,000lb truck, Hook a 6k truck to it and try to turn in anything sharper than a city block. If you "tie" the wheel off its still gonna move a little.
I would not pull a 13k truck with a 6k truck. I would and have pulled a 13k with a 13k and found that preventing the steering wheel from turning to full lock is better than having it lock the wheels and brining you to a stop. I don't tie the wheel tight but leave some slack so the wheel can self align when needed. Making turns at fuel stops is the tightest and will drag the wheels but at least your moving.

ODdave

I would not pull a 13k truck with a 6k truck. I would and have pulled a 13k with a 13k and found that preventing the steering wheel from turning to full lock is better than having it lock the wheels and brining you to a stop. I don't tie the wheel tight but leave some slack so the wheel can self align when needed. Making turns at fuel stops is the tightest and will drag the wheels but at least your moving.
Ok, but i was referencing the BM's post. He is using a much lighter truck than a deuce.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My .02, the only time you tie or lock the steering axle is when you are towing a vehicle backwards with the rear wheels off the ground.

I used to deliver trucks towing my pickup behind them, steering unlocked. the steering axle follows the front vehicle turns.

Blackmagic94

The steering of the wheel is obviously an issue but you guys are crazy when you are talking about the dangers of a smaller truck pulling a bigger truck.

Most 1 ton trucks can be rated up to 23,000 lbs of towing and 30,000 combined weight.

Does a OTR truck weigh more then the trailer, is it larger then the trailer, I think not. This logic in this thread is flawed, the major issue with this is steering and brakes, I guess having a pilot in the deuce would make that void as well.

Blackmagic94

The steering of the wheel is obviously an issue but you guys are crazy when you are talking about the dangers of a smaller truck pulling a bigger truck.

Most 1 ton trucks can be rated up to 23,000 lbs of towing and 30,000 combined weight.

Does a OTR truck weigh more then the trailer, is it larger then the trailer, I think not. This logic in this thread is flawed, the major issue with this is steering and brakes, I guess having a pilot in the deuce would make that void as well.

ODdave

the steering of the wheel is obviously an issue but you guys are crazy when you are talking about the dangers of a smaller truck pulling a bigger truck.

Does a otr truck weigh more then the trailer, is it larger then the trailer, i think not. This logic in this thread is flawed, the major issue with this is steering and brakes, i guess having a pilot in the deuce would make that void as well.
that is a rating with trailers that have brakes

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

There is a huge difference between say using a 1 ton dually to pull a deuce on a trailer with brakes and a dually flat towing a deuce. It is flat out dangerous to flat tow one with a dually. Heck, I don't like flat towing one with a deuce. It is also illegal to have someone ride in the deuce while it is being towed.

Barrman

The question that brought this thread back from the dead was can a 1 ton truck flat tow a M35? Yes it can. Can it be done with highway speeds? No. Is it safe? No.

I don't understand your anger. You asked a question and some of us that have been there and done that answered. Yet, you reject our answers and tell us we are wrong. Why?

I only have about 1000 miles flat towing a M35 with another M35 so I am not near as experienced as others on this site. However, I do know the feeling of the rear end of a 14K pound truck getting pushed around by the back truck and I don't really care for that feeling. No matter what your 1 ton is rated to pull, it doesn't have enough weight to tell a flat towed M35 where to go all the time. You asked, we answered. If you don't like the responses, don't blame us.

Blackmagic94

Im not angry and I am not going to bother doing this, Im just gonna man up and drive it through the heat back home so its not a big deal.

But I do find it funny where people talk about how smaller vehicle cannot tow a bigger item.

Barrman

Ok.

Roll all the windows up, close the valence vents and open the front windshields about 3 inches. As long as you stay above 30mph, you will not be hot. Bring lots of water to drink because constant air blowing on your face will dry you out real fast. I have driven a M109 across I-10 in West Texas with 110° temps for hours. Didn't even get my shirt wet.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Side bar...Just what 1-ton(s) has a GCVW of over 23,000#.
Just because I want to know, we use 1-tons to pull our CR trailers and that would be good info.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter

It's completely different hauling something on a trailer and flat towing something. I've hauled a deuce on a gooseneck with my Dodge. I could travel hwy speeds and start and stop fine. I've also flat towed a deuce off-road with my Dodge. I can do it but you have to be slow and sometimes the the deuce will shove the back of the Dodge around if you're not careful.

One of the most dangerous things about flat towing a deuce is sometimes the towed truck tries to turn the wrong way in a turn. I've had this happen and jerk the back of the towing deuce around a little. I can tell you without a doubt that if you are towing with a 1-ton truck or smaller when this happens, you will be in the ditch or worse.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blackmagic94,
Thanks for the info, I had no clue that the 3500 DRW has that kind of capacity. That is equal to the deuce. GIven that I personally would much rather be sitting in a deuce at that kind of weight than a 3500. (Not taking anything away from the 3500, with that statement, except 6,000# less truck..)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks