• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Fluids-What do you run?

boomer

After checking on who runs what in their tank, spent a little time searcing for other fluids. Besides Dot 5 - do you follow the TM with motor oil, anti-freeze and gear oil, or do you use the latest products?

markmontana

I use modern 10w40 oil in the crankcase (when I pick up a GL truck, I throw in 30w for the trip home, then change to 10w40 when I change the filters).

Ethylene Glycol w/low silicate anti-freeze- (thanks WSU)

GL1 (NAPA) for the gears and axles.

Lots of stuff to read about regarding fluids on the forums- you'll be an expert if you take the time to go thru them.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Rotella-T 15W-40 in the crankcase
NAPA GL-1 Gear oil in the tranny and transfer case (b/c yellow metals)
NAPA GL-5 w/MT rating Gear Oil in the differentials
DOT-5 Brake Fluid
Ethylene Glycol w/low silicate for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines w/DCA additive

N41EF

Rotella T 15w-40 is amaizing stuff. For diesel engines, or any engine without roller rockers initial startup is the big wear point, lifters on the cam wear is a killer. The europeans use an ACEA oil rating system, not all oil for sale here in the US have the rating, but for diesels you need at least a B3 rating which Rotella has, the synthetic has a B5 but is more expensive. I buy Rotella in the 5 gallon pail at Advance when they send me a save $20 on a $100 purchase coupon. You can also get it in a white gallon jug at Walmart or any truck stop for less than $12 a gallon. The Synthetic comes in a blue jug at about $19 per gallon, I use it in the Smart and Boxster.

There are several synthetics availabe at A5/B5 but Rotella is by far the cheapest.

stumps

Rotella 15W40 in the engine, GL5 in the differentials, Prestone in the radiator, and soon, SAE50 motor oil in the transmission and transfer case. DOT5 in the brakes.

But wait, there's more!

Modern GAA in everything greasy.
And standard window washer solution in the window washer tank.

Fluids? Oh yeah, and rain water on the cab floor.

-Chuck