• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Front shock civi part numbers

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my non-existent spare time I did a bunch of info gathering on this subject. First off, thank you Peashooter for pushing me in the right direction.
I started w/ the info I got from Peashooter about the two different shocks, but I didn't like the lack of real info about them on Amazon. So then I went to my local Napa guys (they love us and our trucks) and started getting real measurements on the two dif numbers. Not happy w/ that I pulled one off of the She Beast and took it in. We did some measuring, some number matching, and I then left it over night because we weren't able to contact a Monroe rep and he was going to find out more info the next day.
After talking w/ a rep they matched the numbers and said that 66605 was the direct replacement. I then compared the 66605 to the 66903 that Peashooter had recommended.
It seems that the main dif is that the stems are thicker. The other difs are fractional. I'll post the info here.

Upper Mounting Code - Stem Mount - 2.5/8" Stem Length X 1/2"-13 Thread Pitch
Lower Mounting Code - Stem Mount - 2.5/8" Stem Length X 1/2"-13 Thread Pitch
Compressed Length - 12.859"
Extended Length - 21.391"
Travel Length - 8.532"
Dust Shield - Yes
Parts Pack(s) - (2) P1303
Compressed Bumper Stop - No
Extended Bumper Stop - No
Extended Hydraulic Lockout - No
Dust Shield Material - Metal

Upper Mounting Code - Stem Mount - 2.3/8" Stem Length X 3/8"-16 Thread Pitch
Lower Mounting Code - Stem Mount - 2.3/8" Stem Length X 3/8"-16 Thread Pitch
Compressed Length - 12.750"
Extended Length - 21.750"
Travel Length - 9.000"
Dust Shield - Yes
Parts Pack(s) - (2) P1134
Compressed Bumper Stop - No
Extended Bumper Stop - No
Extended Hydraulic Lockout - No
Dust Shield Material - Metal

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Attachments

peashooter

Lowtech- thanks for doing your homework on this for us all! I know there are a couple good threads on shocks that this can get moved to. I'm also going to add the new part number you found to the info I include with my mrap wheel adapter instructions... Thanks again!

3rdmdqm

Getting ready to replace shocks on 68 Deuce as part of total frame off restoration. So are the Monroe 66605 shocks the correct direct replacement or are the stem thicknesses at 5/8" too big? Thanks.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I replaced the shocks on the front of my M35A2, I contacted Monroe Technical Service. They had a cross reference and said that the Monroe 34787 is what Monroe supplied to the government for the M35 trucks. They had the same size stem as the original ones and fit perfectly. Interestingly, the right front tire excessive wear went away with the new shocks.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They had the same size stem as the original ones and fit perfectly.
Do you remember what size stem they had?

There's either different versions of military shocks, or Monroe has changed the stem size on 34787.
My original shocks had a 3/8" fine thread stem. Monroe lists the 34787 as having a 1/2" course thread stem.

I researched several different shocks a month ago when I replaced mine.
The 66605 is 1.4" shorter than the 34787.
After measuring my original shocks and the distance between my shock mounts, I went with the 66605 because I was worried hitting a big bump would cause the 34787 to bottom out before the axle hit the rubber bump-stop, possibly damaging the shock.
When I installed the 66605, I still had to jack up the front suspension very slightly to fit them between the mounts. I think a longer shock would come very close to bottoming out.

66605 Specs

34787 Specs

3rdmdqm

Wow. These specs between the two are very close. Less than half an inch difference between travel distances, same size stems and thread pitch. Only difference seems to be overall compressed and extended length by a minimal amount. Not sure what an extended bumper stop is. Given I only drive smooth roads for special events sounds like either one would work fine.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something else I noticed when I was researching different shocks, that I forgot to mention...

At those two links I posted, click the "Where Used" tab and look at the vehicles the shocks fit.
The applications for 34787 is passenger SUVs.
The applications for 66605 is medium duty trucks and buses.
Even if the shocks look the same, the internal valving is going to be different depending on the size/weight vehicle it's designed for.

The 34787 is listed as being for class 1, 2, and 3 vehicles. Basically a 1ton pickup and below.
The 66605 and 66903 suggested in the first post are listed as being for class 4, 5, and 6 trucks. A Deuce is a class 6 truck.

Monroe Commercial Vehicle Shock Dimension Search

For "Vehicle Suspension", select "Chassis".
For "Vehicle Class", select "Class 6", which is the class a Deuce is.
For "Shock Configuration", select "Stem - Stem".
Select the Compressed and Extended length, and hit Search.

There's several different shocks that will work. I went with the 66605 because others had used it without issues, and it was available on Amazon Prime.

Ecklund1

Very good information here. I bought the 66605's before reading this thread and found out the stem size difference by surprise. I'm happy that they are beefier than the stock (34787?) units. I was pleased that the mounting holes accepted the 1/2" stems, so no drilling. Also, that they weren't screaming loud yellow like shown in the ad.
Shocks.jpg

The 66605 has 2" dia Bushings and are more substantial than the ~1-1/4" ones. They came with steel sleeves intended to couple/align the Bushings.Bushings After.jpg

These Sleeves cannot be used unless you drill out the Shock Mount holes which I wasn't going to do. In hindsight, it probably wouldn't have hurt a thing.
I chose not to which left me with loose bushings and I didn't want that.
Bushings Before.jpg

So, what I did was utilize some spare Fuel Line and made Half-Sleeves for the Bushings to they were aligned like hey should be. The ID & OD of the Gates Hose made for a perfect fit.
Fuel Hose.jpg
Bushing Sets.jpgBushing Installed.jpg

The 66605's came with 2.25" and 2.50" Thick Fender Washers. I don't know if they were identical Shock packages with 2 size Washers or if one came with the larger and one came with the smaller.
Washers.jpg

The larger ones looked funny and I knew I couldn't use them on the bottom Stem under the Axle anyway because even the 2.25" Washers needed to be ground as they interfered with the axle mount. Instead of grinding, I used the 2.25" on the top of the shock and I picked up 2ea 2.00" OD Thick Fender Washers at ACE in the "Hillman Aisle" (my home away from home!) for the bottom and no grinding was needed.

Then, everything went together perfectly. I'm very happy with how it all worked out. Sorry for the ginormous post and all, but hopefully it will help someone else reShocking theirs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks