• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce fuel line hose

JCKnife

I looked at mine again; the elbow coming off the IP is pointed right straight at the PTO shaft. I think that is going to have to be turned around towards the frame. In spite of Ken warning me not to mess with it, I think it has to. And really I don't see what the big deal is? Doesn't look like the IP would have to be pulled to replace it.

JCKnife

OK in the attempt to turn the 45° elbow away from the PTO shaft--UNCLE! I bought a set of crows feet wrenches last night and still not able to budge it. I think whoever put it in last used permatex or JB Weld! So I'm going to have to either make a new hard copper line the whole span, or else make a new (cheap) hose and clip the hose to one of the oil pan bolts to hold it up and away from the shaft.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I looked at mine again; the elbow coming off the IP is pointed right straight at the PTO shaft. I think that is going to have to be turned around towards the frame. In spite of Ken warning me not to mess with it, I think it has to. And really I don't see what the big deal is? Doesn't look like the IP would have to be pulled to replace it.
Mine have all been like that (pointing right at the driveshaft)

OK in the attempt to turn the 45° elbow away from the PTO shaft--UNCLE! I bought a set of crows feet wrenches last night and still not able to budge it. I think whoever put it in last used permatex or JB Weld! So I'm going to have to either make a new hard copper line the whole span, or else make a new (cheap) hose and clip the hose to one of the oil pan bolts to hold it up and away from the shaft.
Ditto here as well. I've never gotten an elbow to move.

JCKnife

Progress: new copper line bent, original soft hose in place. Note the metal tag under one of the oil pan bolts. Soft hose will get a clamp / wire to the metal tag to hold it away from the shaft. Best I could come up with. See any problems?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364169430.793963.jpg

Edit next day: got the fuel line in and...it leaks a little bit coming out of the primary. I tried not to torque the snot out of it because I know these lines can crack, so I'll tighten it down a little more. But honestly it's slight enough that for now, I'm moving on to other aspects that need my attention. I can fab another line when I've got her ready for the road.

Edit again: tightened it down more and seems to be dry now.

Last edited:

mbehne

I couldn't find the correct ends at any of our local hose shops...have to order them...be a couple of weeks...you know the drill.

Being in the marine business, I looked at our hose. Same OD, same ID ,rated for gas or diesel, and it's made in the USA. Here is my marine style A1 reinforced hose. I used oeteker style full circle clamps we use on fuel injection systems up to about 60psi so they should work. Basically just cut the old hose off the ends and slid the new right up to match and clamped...all of $5 in parts...I even slid the original pn/nsn tag back on for giggles.

just thought it might help someone out of a jam!
mike

Attachments

XchaosX

I know this is a old thread but I figured I'd posted what I ended up doing to help others. My copper line was crushed on my 88 and pinched some on my 73. I had half inch lines made at a hydraulic shop to run from the primary filter to the ip. I ran the line so it wouldn't be under the cross member like the copper lines were. My 73 has a winch and I couldn't reinstall the pto drive shaft with the new line. The 45º elbow on ip had the line pointed right into the drive shaft, like the others above posted. I also couldn't move the 45 elbow with a wrench so I got a deep well socket that was a snug fit on the elbow, I believe it was a 9/16. Attached a couple long extensions to the socket and was able to turn the elbow towards the steering box. That got the line out of the way of the drive shaft and everything fit back fine.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to NAPA and was able to purchase ,that is, order, and receive the next day, 1/2" inverted flare nuts . This is the one fitting I needed to work with when installing a new fuel tank on my M185A3.