• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Fuel Mileage

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
alpha, I've done some machine work to my turbo's casings when i rebuilt it. It improved air flow on the test bench. As far as the tire pressure. I've always ran them at the max because i haul heavy loads with it. As far as the ride goes it rides like crap. But the spring seats helped alot.

cbvet

When I started this thread I didn't think to mention that my truck was "wearing" it's cargo cover, & I was pulling the M103A3 trailer with about 1,000 pounds in it. I don't know how much these things would affect mileage.
Ken,
You say the turbo is to increase fuel mileage. Everything else I've read says it was designed to reduce smoke. I suppose it might do both?

I now have about 300 gallons of drain oil to filter for fuel. Maybe I'll try a 50/50 gasoline/oil mix. Gas is currently cheaper than diesel.
Thanks for all the input guys. Keep those ideas coming!
Eric
CBVET

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Well, the smoke the EPA was worried about is partially burned fuel - so it would make sense that improved combustion would increase fuel economy - but not neccessarily horsepower.

Most of my trucks are laden all the time - fire truck, compressor truck, etc. and that big sail I drag through the air - the expansible van - and all these run 8-10 MPG, and all are bone stock, set up per the TMs.

Tweaking isn't my idea of fun - and I have darn little off time - so if I drive a thousand miles a year and increase fuel economy 10% I'll save 30 bucks. I'm not gonna invest a lot of my time to save 30 bucks a year. If I drove as much as some of you guys do I may feel differently.

My .02,
David Doyle

devilman96

What do you consider a big difference then...10% gain or more? What ratio do you run dman and of what?
I wouldnt even try to guess at the HP diffrence... You can "feel" it thats for sure and you can see it in the EGT's.

I run a mix... I filter off my waste oil from the shop, oil, hyd, gas, diesel, ATF, laquer thinner... god knows what else, its all flamable in one way or another. I use a Wix XD 5 micron filter set up on a little low volume pump chemical pump made for 20 gallon sprayers you see sold in northern tool and tractor supply... Nothin fancy, nothing special.

First go around was maybe 20% or less, Kenny still has several gallons of this floating around his place. Second mix on a smaller batch was 30-40%, thats when you could feel something diffrent... The GA trip im going to try up to 50%.. I have dual tanks so I can thin the mix on the fly if its an issue but I doubt it will be...

devilman96

Plan??? rofl

:shock: He dont know me too well do he?

To tell the truth I think that subject has been about as put to bed as one can get... No one wants to bother spending the bucks putting their truck on a dyno (twice after changing fuels) which would be the only real documitation I think would be acceptable in the end... and if ya were I would think ya might as well try bio, veggie, low sulfer, high sulfer, etc, etc, etc...

I have a few day dreams about a bigger turbo and some other fancy mods that may come in time... Between that and my computer which will double as engine managment logging all of the opperating stuff I might be inclined to pull a dyno to check the acuracy of the whole ordeal but knowing me... prolly not.

Besides... I cant properly plan a trip to the bathroom these days, its all a blur anymore!!! Tryin to get this pig ready for GA is too much as is and I know I will not touch it "project wise" for a few months after. Im not old but im not a spring chicken anymore... Getting off the floor these days after crawling under a truck almost requires help.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cbvet said:
I've seen a lot of posts the last couple of years from people getting much better mileage than I do.
Why?...
There is no standard for measuring it for one thing, type of road, weight, tire pressure, engine op temp, weather (air temp), how you drive etc, all are part of the equation. The "hard coupled" rear axles must be freed up, since they can reduce highway performance dramatically, more important than freewheeling the front hubs.
Fuel temp may be a factor also, it takes an hour on the road to get the fuel temp to 100-120°F and I think the engine runs better with warm fuel. Yes, I have a fuel temp gauge....
Bottom line is that the multifuel is one of the most efficient engines out there, so enjoy!
Veggie oil saves money, even if it reduces the milage by perhaps 10% and it's "green" as opposed to used engine oil, which I would not want to burn, ever looked at an oil analysis report?
With the present low sulfur diesel I'd add some veggie oil no matter what.

Oh, one more thing, the average mpg is different from peak or what you may see for a small part of a trip.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, my tractor has the long tank so getting and exact fill up to the same level every time is moot, ain't happening. When I took the cargo on the back to OH, I averaged 6.89 MPG. Thats a total GVW of aout 30,000. I played with mileage numbers coming back from MD when I bought it and with one rear axle pulled and desplined hubs I got betwenn 9.5 on the low side to 11.8 on the high side. Best tank was driving at 52 MPH.

yorkgulch2

Has anyone compared the mileage with the overdrive spicer trans?
I'm in the same boat as David. I don't put that many miles on my deuce so, when I do the math to see how much I really save, most mileage upgrades aren't economical unless they also serve another purpose. Like ARB air lockers or taller tires or a bigger turbo or topless with windshield down orrrrrrr.

I averaged 9-11 (depending on trip) with 900x20's, overdrive spicer, D turbo, bed cover on, 465 LDT D, deisel, and 1,000 lb load. Have not checked with new 395r85x20's or bed cover off.