• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Got a face Transplant!

USMC6062

I finally got my winch all redone and installed on my truck. I just have to put the chain on there. I'm thinking about buying a piece of rubber to glue on the center of the bumper, to keep the chain from beating all the paint off. Here's a couple pics. I have a bunch from the rebuild process, but frankly I don't feel like wasting the time to upload them, to have them only show up so small. Maybe it's just me, but when I click on a picture it barely gets any larger than the thumbnail. I posted about this on the website forum, but didn't really get a good answer. I noticed in the classifieds the pictures blow up a lot bigger than in the forum.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good Sir. These pics are pretty decent size! That's the winch off the M108 right? I really need to get Mike to sandblast my bumper extensions so that I can get my winch on my dropside. From there I'll start shopping for another winch and extensions for the M59.

USMC6062

After blowing them up, they show up 5" wide, by 4" tall. I just looked at the old site and they were twice that size. Is it just my computer doing this? Yea, it is the winch off the old M108.

migz

USMC6062
Nice job on the winch add on. I have a couple questions about your rebuild. I have a winch for an M35 on one of my other MV’s that someone cobbled onto it years ago. I want to remove it and rebuild it then install it on my M35.
- I assume the bumpers between the W/W and WO/W M35’s are the same and all I need to do is invert it and add the frame extensions and brackets, PTO, levers etc. Is this correct?
- Where did you source your parts from for the winch rebuild, gaskets, line etc?

Thanks,
Mike

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome job! If I were you, wrap some sisal rope around the bumper where the chain goes to prevent beating the paint off, it looks more original than rubber....

rizzo

I leave my cable in the position you have it in now. Then I let the chain hang down and I hook the other end to the back of the cross plate on top of the winch. seems to work fine and the chain does not rub on any paint. It has never fallen off.

USMC6062

USMC6062
Nice job on the winch add on. I have a couple questions about your rebuild. I have a winch for an M35 on one of my other MV’s that someone cobbled onto it years ago. I want to remove it and rebuild it then install it on my M35.
- I assume the bumpers between the W/W and WO/W M35’s are the same and all I need to do is invert it and add the frame extensions and brackets, PTO, levers etc. Is this correct?
- Where did you source your parts from for the winch rebuild, gaskets, line etc?

Thanks,
Mike
The bumper is the same one that was on my truck, you just flip it over and reinstall. The only modification is on two of the four gusset plates that actually hold the bumper to the truck. The top two need a 1/4" spacer added where the two 5/8" bolts for the shackle mounts go. This is where the grill bracket sits on a non winch truck. As far as parts go, I got my seals from ODIron. Every thing was correct and fit good. I let the winch run for a while, before I put cable on it. It didn't leak a drop, but once I put a little load on it just spooling the cable, it started leaking out of the clutch side to drum seal. So I'm planning on draining out the gear oil and putting corn head grease in it. I thought of this to start with, but I hoped it wouldn't leak, I should have know better. It's next to imposible to keep anything old from leaking. I had to make all my own gaskets, I heard you can get them from Memphis, but they want too much money for them. The line, a friend of mine acuired through some trading. I don't know how much is on the spool he gave me, but the 200 feet I took off didn't make a dent in it. I bought the rest of the parts from, Saturn Surplus, Memphis, Sam Winer, an Ebay. Everything bolts on from a winch truck to a non-winch truck. The only clearance issue I had was the fuel line coming off the bottom of the injection pump. I had to turn the fitting a little to clear the PTO shaft. I have a pile of pictures I would like to post if someone can tell me how to post them in a bigger size.

Dirt71

Hey Alex,
Glad to see something is getting done down on 210. But I can't say to much I have been rather slow on my truck the past few weeks. The winch job looks great. Just keep working your way backwards until you reach the tail lights and the whole truck will look that good. Give me a call or stop by some time.
David

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good Sir. These pics are pretty decent size! That's the winch off the M108 right? I really need to get Mike to sandblast my bumper extensions so that I can get my winch on my dropside. From there I'll start shopping for another winch and extensions for the M59.
I've been cleaning and painting my extensions for a install but I don't have a sandblaster. It takes a long time to clean off several layers od CARC with a wire wheel and paint striper :-x. I'm going to tear my winch down to check it out, replace seals, and paint it before I put it on.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pic size
your pics take up my whole screen when I click on them.
there is a setting in I.E. that resizes pics to fit within the browser window.

Oh and I held out for a truck with a winch
Waiting on the EUC for it now ( M36A2 w/winch)

Last edited:

Orionspath

Winch Facelift

EXCELLENT! I am currently undergoing mechanical facelift of my own with the same upgrades! Once Santa has come and gone, I will be able to spend a few more hours on it.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks