• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Groaning Noise on Turns

rneely

On my Deuce I sometimes hear a groaning noise when I make a normal turn. Is this just a rear axle sliding or is it a sign of trouble?

G-Force

You might have a bad wheel bearing on one of you rear axles. When you turn it puts more of a side load on the bearing and could possibly make more noise than normal. Have you ever had the rears apart???

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make a hard 180 turn on pavement in a parking lot. Stop halfway thtough it, and get out and see if the rear axles are lined up/or not. You said from rear, but other things that cause that are broken engine mounts/trans/T-case mounts.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to check the trunion bearings. If they are loose you will have alot more side to side movement. (Under the round cap between the axles).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Jim you beat me to it, sure will make a bunch of noise if loose, use a bar to check for movement, if there is, tighten.

Gunfreak25

Your rear spring pivot bearings are easy to check. Just jack the truck up by the frame under the rear spring pivot point, enough to take all load off the leaf springs. Stick a pry bar in there and see if they have any play. Some guys have reported large amounts of play. Mine is a 54 and thank god both sides are tight as new!! A big nut in there torqued to some 800 ft lbs!

Woodsplinter

How wierd! I've been noticing the same thing on my A2 but only on right hand turns. Haven't had the rears apart, the cv boots look good with no leaks.

Flyingvan911

Mine groans a little on sharp curves on pavement. Off road it doesn't make noise. Everything looks fine. I wonder if it is just stress from the metal giving a little.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks