• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce GVWR?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Don't get upset by some of these guys. Some of them must like to hassle people about searching the forum. It takes as much time to type out a reply to give you a hard time as it does just to answer the question.
As we have repeatedly explained, there is a reason that people need to search and find the answers that are already out there instead of the same questions and answers being posted and re-posted in infinity.

When a person comes onto the forum and wants to learn about something and they do a search (let's say for insurance), they find dozens of threads. All covering the same thing.

And that person looks at all those results and says "Wow, I don't have the time to read all that" (or they are just impatient) so they add to the problem by posting a new thread which just adds to the problem.

Eventually, we will have ruined this fantastic library of information that's been amassed because the repetition in search words will make it impossible to find anything!

Here's a good example:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/406597-post15.html

Now, if you don't care about any of the stuff I just posted, fine. Some folks don't get it. That's cool.

But you get another problem with heavy repetition of the same 10-20 questions.

The guys who have been in the hobby for years, the real experts, not just the guys who have had a truck for a year or two get tired of reading those same questions over and over again. Because they've answered them dozens of times.

So you basically begin to "dumb down" your answers and, what's worse, is that instead of having one or two threads that are in depth, intelligent discussions with a lot of answers, you get dozens of threads with just the answer you want and little else. Again, because the experts are basically staying out because they've covered that ground a million times before.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto,
I don't disagree with you a bit about what you posted. I do not profess to be an expert at ANYTHING, let alone MV's. I also have not been a member nearly as long as you or some of the other experts have. But I also have noticed that a lot of the questions that get repeat offenses of being asked without searching are simple dumb questions. Not all of them mind you but a lot. That being said, if it's a simple question that's been covered tons of times...why bother to answer it at all?? Why go to the trouble of making yourself seem rude to a new member, new to the hobby, by posting a reply meant to make that person feel like a moron and purposefully berate them for asking questions. I would never treat my child that way when she's learning a new hobby, as it would most definitely drive her away from it. So I wouldn't feel right doing it to an adult either. My mother told me if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. All I wanted to get across in my post was, if you think it's a dumb question and you are sick of answering it, then DON'T answer it, don't try to drive someone away from this wonderful hobby for being new at it...you guys were all new at one time yourselves.

I searched this site for months before actually joining, because I thought the people who do contribute are very knowledgeable and this is a very close knit community of MV enthusiasts. But when I see things like that posted with reply's like he got, it makes me think twice before asking a question. While I do search, I could have overlooked something and I would feel a little miffed if I got some of the reply's that FMJ got.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
re: speddmon

I totally 100% agree that there are time the search police could word their admonishments more politely. I have probably been guilty of this (let those, sin, thrown stones, etc.).

When a person does ask a question that's been covered in great detail, if I am going to tell them to search, I will usually try to provide a link showing where the info is (take a look at the link I provided earlier regarding insurance).

And believe me, I am no expert.

There are occasionally some really rude replies to folks for not searching and they get edited before most anyone sees them. It's one thing to tell someone to do a search, it's another to be an outright douchebag.

But, when a poster comes on with the attitude that the other members of the community are simply here to answer their questions, with no regard for the culture or the rules of the community*, that's rude as hell and they should have some thick skin if they want to operate in that manner.

*There have been a few posts where people basically said "Answer my question, I am too lazy to search" and at least one member whose signature line said he wouldn't search. If you're gonna' try and start flame wars, better not complain about the heat.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FMJ,
In South Carolina, you need to be careful about your declared gross vehicle weight, as they charge for the annual plates based on that weight. Every 1000 pounds adds $10 or so to what you pay every year for your plates. Add 10K to your stated weight, add $100 to your annual cost, your choice! Your state may be different. I've actually gotten my SF-97's to only state the actual weight I expected to carry, which is closer to the off-road weights (around 18,000 pounds, even for the shop vans). Since all five trucks combined get a total of about 900-1000 miles a year put on them, the fact that I've got them at the lower weight saves me about $250 a year in license plate expense. Property taxes on the five amounts to a little over $100 a year, but $750+ a year for plates crimps my use more than anything else.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
not to change the subject...I'm a General now...:-D
If you had done a search, you could have seen how many posts were required for that :razz:

Coal Cracker

I dunno, maybe I'm a newbie too, but the search on here seems to result in a 50/50 tossup and I can't seem to find the right answer after reading thread out of thread out of thread, seems kinda harsh to blast someone who asks, and I know, I've been blasted too.

Is there any such thing as a stupid question? Sometimes even Congress has to ammend a law once and a while, it's not like one is put on the books , and left there and never ever re discussed.

Maybe when someone else newer sees the Question, there will be more to add to it, and thus either spark a new idea, or prodice other questions, and other answers.

I'm not ashmed to admit I don't know everything, I didn't learn to be mechanically enclined by not asking questions, I only wished I had asked my grandfather more questions, while he was alive.

I personally enjoy this forum, and the friendly exchange of information.
Just my2cents

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You guys, sheez. Fmj had his question answered by the first reply. He even said to please use the search. How is that not good enough? His reply was assinine if you ask me.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys, sheez. Fmj had his question answered by the first reply. He even said to please use the search. How is that not good enough? His reply was assinine if you ask me.

Gimpy - I searched and found several definitions of the word "assinine". Which one were you refering to?

1. Stupid, dim-witted, pointless.

2. Extremely stupid/foolish.

3. Something so stupid it makes a person look like a complete ass, despite whatever misguided good intentions they believe they have.

4. A girl with a great body but an unattractive face. From the redneck phrase, "I only gave her face a 2, but I gave her assinine".

Seriously though, the reason to answer a post to ask a person to SEARCH or to explain to them how the SEARCH feature works is to help them over the long term - "Teach a person to fish..............."

Also, if you can't figure out how to find the answer in the TM you are at the mercy of those who THINK they are experts. There are 100's of posts out there where someone asked a simple question and got 20 different answers. Which way do you go? Just pick one? Thats worse than not knowing.

If you have taken the time to search for a few minutes on the site and checked the TMs, then sure - go ahead and ask away. A lot of these guys dig the challange of the tough question. GVWR isn't a toughy. Besides, in the time it took to post the question and WAIT for the replies, he should have been able to sniff the answer off of a dataplate or a TM. My thoughts, your milage may vary.

FormerNewMVGuy

hmm, give him a fish, teach him to fish.....:|

Or we could give out fish infected with small pox ;-)

There are some of the newer crowd here that are selfappointed knowitalls, who tend to be a little on the arrogant side and a bit disrespectful to others!

Last edited:

ida34

The sensitivity of using search before posting stems from the fact that certain questions are asked by new people every couple of months or so. I used to be able to check out just about every thread. These days I almost never check them all. I have been put off a little on web boards lately. It seems like a lot of time is spent reading threads that are either repetitive or vague in the title area. Right not a lot of the posts seem like white noise to me. I am in favor of cleaning up the threads so we have more meat and less fat.

A few months ago I posted a complaint about non descriptive thread titles such as "Just look at this". At least this thread does have a very descriptive thread title. I could immediately tell what the poster was asking for just by reading the thread. I could then evaluate whether I wanted to chime in or breeze over. I say thank you for the descriptive thread title.

What scooter was complaining about has also been a problem. Some people do not even try to search for the answer before posting up a question. The main problem question I see is " do I need a CDL?" question. This one seems to come up every month or so and everyone plays armchair quarterback with the answers. The same argument takes place with no real progress being made. At least your question has a plain and simple answer. A lot of answers to these questions are available in the manuals available in the manuals section of the resource tab. The manuals can be hard to read but one should at least try so they have a good knowledge base about the vehicle they are driving. To many people get these trucks and just hop in and try to drive.

I usually look in the manual first, do a seach second, then post a question if I could not find my answer. The quatity of posts lately has been overwhelming and as such I do not read as much as I have in the past. That being said, I do know a little about these machines and sometimes am able to answer posts but can not if I do not read them to begin with. Main point I am trying to make is you are more likely to get a good answer to a question if your question is not lost in a sea of redundant posts.

Many on the board will tell you that I love to help people out when possible and I do not want every thread to start with posts stating search first as new members may bring more knowledge. That being said I am attempting to explain why a lot of people do get frustrated by a lack of search. I am more frustrated with the overload created by the higher post counts of late. We used to be able to fit the whole days worth of posts on the new posts page and now it seems like only a few hours will fit.

At any rate, welcome to the board FullMetalJacket and I hope you enjoy your deuce. It looks like a good machine by your avatar picture. :driver:

FullMetalJacket

Thanks to all that have posted. I did in fact initially do a search for this info and got a lot of varying info, just like the variety that has been posted here. I am a novice with Military vehicles, but not with vehicles in general. I just want to be sure to put the correct number on my SF97 form so that I don't have any problems at the DMV later. I appreciate all of the feedback both positive and negative. And as they say "It's all good in the hood". :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks