• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce hauls an MK 18 Trailer

sandcobra164

Well, Sir, you could probably do just that but you'll need a forklift nearby to lift the towbar once you get ready to unbolt it!!! Then you can back the MK48 to the trailer on top of a trailer and be good to go provided you've unhooked the MK48 FPU if it's hooked to an RBU and nobody loses the bolts that came with the RBU when they unbolt the towbar.!!!

sandcobra164

Or you could maneuver you're 48/14 combo and hitch up to you're MK 18 trailer on the pintle and towbar arrangement and pull it off that way. I'm not happy at all about the trucker fussing about stowing the tires on the step deck above the fifthwheel at all this evening. It was his idea and he didn't raise a fuss about it until about 5 minutes after he left. I learned a lesson today though and you and Landstar worked it out but I'll never let a trucker "convince me" that this is how we need to do this. He knew what he was going to do when he suggested loading those tires where we loaded them. Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me is what my Daddy taught me.

3rdaavbn

Marine vet wants to know, What is the mk48? and what is the MK18 used for? Just curious. But the equipment you have looks amazing! auction aquired?

Hoefler

MK48 was called a Dragon Wagon-mostly a logistics vehicle. It has a front power unit that hooks to a rear-like this trailer. The front power unit and trailer articulate much like a front loader. The MK18 is used for loading ISO containers and pulls them up much like a garbage truck loads a large dumpster. They are also used for ribbon bridges. Its a real neat piece of machinery.
I will unload just like how it was loaded-with a wrecker. Not as fun (for me), but easier on trucker. He will get in and get out real fast. Its all good-this is more of a want than a need for me.
I will be using this for volunteer work with Vets (picnics, parades, etc.). I also bring her to MIL shows at local VFW's. Vets climb all over this stuff. I had a retired Marine jump into one of my trucks and sat there sniffing the smell of the cab-he said it brought back great memories. He sat in the cab for 10 minutes. It was a nice deal for me to see-was a good day.
Pete
IMG_1669.jpg

Hoefler

5-Ton hauls MK18 trailer! She got here safely. Unloading was same as the loading-no issue and no drama. Hooked up to the 5-ton and was a little surprised at how far she squatted. There is a lot of tongue weight here well far back of the rear most axle. When the weather gets better here, I will be mating the 18 to my FPU.
Thanks to Joseph Carson for a good recovery.
Pete
IMG_2970.jpgIMG_2969.jpgIMG_2968.jpgIMG_2967.jpgIMG_2966.jpgIMG_2964.jpgIMG_2965.jpg

sandcobra164

Hoefler, It looks like it dropped the back end of the M923 worse than my Deuce. I know mine dropped about an inch or so at the pintle but it looks like your truck dropped about 2. I'm sure your truck got it up to speed better but it towed like a dream behind the Deuce. A little slow but I'm used to that. Did the Driver's side boxes have all of the Basic Issue Items to include the small one with the Material Handling System remote and cable? They were in it when I got it and it left with them.

Hoefler

Both the remote and all the angle brackets, adapters made it. This unit is clean and will look great behind my FPU. Was a little surprised at how much weight there is on the tongue. Given the traler weighs about 21,000 pounds and the rigging diagram showing the trailer is balanced front to back-its a good bet that the tongue probably loads 5K or more to the pintel on the truck. I think my 5 ton looks tough squatting with that load.
As soon as I hooked up the gladhand, the brakes released immediately. I was able to only tow it in my lot and was not able to bring her out on the road.
This is a great peice of machinery-I really like it and cant wait to try it out. We did turn the truck driver around in less than one half hour, so he was real happy.
Thanks for your great work on the recovery Joseph.
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks