• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Headache Racks?

hambo

I am thinking of fabbing one up with a spare tire mount so I could mount my tire upright in the bed against the back of it. I would also mount some auxiliary lighting on it. Has anyone made a headache rack for their deuce up against the back of the cab?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have new headboards and lots of 24v 50w lights. Are you thinking of making one like the 5ton? (813 I think)

hambo

Sort of. Except the tire would be mounted in the bed and the headache rack would slide into the holes in the edges of the bed that the troop seats normally slide into.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tire in the 809 5 tons mounted to the front panel of the bed not the headache rack boards so I would try to find (or fab) the shafts and brackets from a 5 ton. Then you don't need to mess with the boards,or troop seats.
I am just curious as to why you want it in the bed, I 1st saw a 5 ton (I was not in guard yet) and asked what if the bed is loaded and you get a flat? :shrugs: the one I asked said he has wondered the same thing.:)

Last edited:

hambo

Okay. I didn't know that. I might try to find the brackets. But I wanted to make a headache rack out of strong steel that goes up to the top of the cab. Something like the ones you see on pickups. So I could mount lights and maybe a cb antenna to it in addition to the spare. I wasn't trying to make anything like the headache rack with the boards that comes with the troop seats. I was just wondering if anyone had made a big strong headache rack like the aftermarket ones you see on pickups today, except for a deuce?

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know but I have an m35a2 so I could fab 1 for you if wanted to send a drawing or ideas to me.
I could do it there but a bit to far :D

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pipe trk

:tigger:

See if you can locate a picture of a "Pipeline Deuce". They had a headache rack with a winch built into it.
I saw this and,,funny you said that I just happen to have a view of one,its an M756A2 mine also.
I could send you more pics and dimensions if you want,,but cant have mine :)
CAM00030.jpg

Last edited:

hambo

Thats interesting. Im looking. To do something kind of like that except actually on the bed and not in between the cab and the bed

61sleepercab

Oil field winch trucks use heavy duty headache racks behind the cab for some ideas. Long ago in Popular Mechanics(?) I saw a picture of a pipe roll bar on a M35 deuce as a Army experiment to keep from killing GIs with roll overs. Semi trucks use headaches to store chains, binders and other gear. I would watch where you stick a tire on a rack as how high can you strong arm a tire and rim into the air. Some things to think about. Mark

Jeepsinker

Whatever you do, you will either have to mount it to the bed itself or build it with mount plates that bolt around the frame if you intend to keep your suspension articulation. You don't want to restrict the frame flex.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best headache rack I have ever seen on a deuce, is the one for the M756 pipeline deuce. They are hard to find anymore, most of the pipelines have been turned into Chinese toasters, and the few that are left are collector's items. But there are a couple who have made their own and modded the racks for their own purposes.

First pic is Recovry4x4's old M275 tractor that he put a M756 pipeline headache rack on. Second & third pic is a M756 truck that I took pictures of at TNJ Murray in Delaware - truck has since been purchased by another Steel Soldier member who intends to restore it by mashing it together with a better-condition M35A2. Last is same headache rack installed on an M818 tractor owned by powerhousedeuce, who brought this truck regularly to the Rausch Creek rally.

Attachments

I made this from 2 inch pipe it is held on by the u bolts on back of the cab that would hold the gun ring . I don't think of it as a headack rack It's only to lift the spare tire . headack racks would be best mounted to the frame . It may help to stop or slow down a blown tire from hitting the driver .

Attachments