• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce heater install problem

baxter

I have got everything installed for the the heater except the coolant lines. I even have power that part works great . I have been trying to remove the two plugs one on the water pump and the other on the manifold and they wont budge I have put about as mush force on them I think I dare I dont want ot break either housing any advice would be helpfull thanks.

Vaughn

beck

Hot wax trick?

Have you tried the hot wax trick? I'm very new to this site but not to bolts or plugs stuck in motors. Here is what works best for me. Heat the offending object up with a propane torch. When you get it hot hold a candle on it and let the wax run into the threads. You may do this a few times. The liquid wax will run into the stuck threads. This loosens them and lubricates them on the way out. The other method would be soaking them with a good penetrating oil daily for up to a week. PB Blaster is a favorite on another diesel site.
Good luck.

jatonka

Hi Baxter, I have put a lot of heaters in Deuces and I agree the 2 plugs are often real tite. I bought 1/2" drive 8 point sockets (for square heads) and use a breaker bar with a long pipe on it. They always come out. I have heard of the wax trick, I will be watching to see how you make out, good luck. JT out

98hd

Someone on this site suggested running the engine up to full operating temp, and then breaking them loose. Letting the truck fully cool down and installing the nipples. I tried this and it worked for me. YMMV

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In addition to all the above suggestions which are good, I learned as a young wrencher 40 years ago that if you give the subborn bolt, plug, nut a few sharp raps with a hammer it will usually release easily. I have used heat with the sharp raps on really stubborn bolts, plugs, etc. If they put locktite on them heat is necessary.

cbvet

Heater install problems

Something new!

Loctite presents new Freeze and Release lubricant

Freeze and Release lubricant
There is hardly anything worse than a corroded or rusted nut, bolt or stud. Trying to free it can hold up a job, cause frustration and cost money.
Loctite presents ‘Freeze and Release’ an innovative and highly effective way of releasing those stubborn components.
Put simply; it is called Loctite ‘Freeze and Release’, and that is exactly what it does.
Releases seized and corroded parts by shock freezing
Released parts remain lubricated and protected from corrosion
Once the corroded parts have been cleaned of loose dirt and rust, the spray is applied directly from the can.
An application of between five and ten seconds is enough to instantly chill seized and rusted parts by 43oC.
The product’s exceptional ‘shock-freeze’ formula produces a differential thermal contraction that creates microscopic cracks in the layer of rust. This then allows the lubricating ingredient to wick directly into the rust by means of capillary action.
The assembly can then be easily dismantled.
As well as releasing the seized parts, Loctite ‘Freeze and Release’ lubricates the parts and helps prevent future corrosion.
Typlical applications include (but are not limited to); seized and corroded assemblies of threaded and cylindrical parts across all industries including cars, trucks, marine, agriculture and construction machinery and general industry.
The best way to shift tough, rusted on nuts is to freeze them with Loctite’s new ‘Freeze and Release’.
The product provides a simple solution to an uncompromising problem.

WORTH A TRY!
Eric
CBVET

kurtkds

I had a problem with the plug on the water pump. I ended up heating the pump housing around the plug then used an impact to back out the plug. The top plug i ended up using a cheater bar. A little kroil wouldn't be a bad thing to put on and let soak for a day before hand.

DanMartin

I've used freeze spray a few times (that's all the loctite thing above is)....with some success. Just remember that steel gets more brittle as it's chilled....more so for heat-treated stuff (like grade 8 and 9), so be careful.

I would try an impact wrench if you can get it in there to pop them loose first.

baxter

I want to thank everyone for thier help. I got home late last night so had to wait until today. I decided to try the wax trick, so I began by heating the plug with my accetaline torch and then melted wax on the threads of the plug and let it cool down. Aftr about 20 min I just used a standard length 1/2in drive socket on both the water pump and manifold plugs and they came out beautifully . I just want everyone to know that my heater is working perfect. Again thanks for all the help guys this is a great site. :-D:-D:-D

Vaughn

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Desert Fox and jatonka's 8 point socket. I use a torch to carefully heat around the plug, then rap it with a hammer. These plugs have sealant on the threads, so I doubt there is any space between the threads for any blaster or wax to wick down and release them.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks