• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce hiding out in the woods

saddamsnightmare

January 2nd, 2009.

I would not write off an M211 or M135 even if it had gotten a good soaking. For the right $$$, one can tear these trucks down and rebuild them, the question is, do you want to bother? Once M135/211's were pretty common trucks, but now they are getting fewer and fewer to be found, as will happen with the M35's in about twenty years or so.
I am pretty certain that the State Secretary's office up in Baton Rouge could tell you who owned the land and likely the vehicle too. If the Civil War did not completely wipe out the property records, likely Katrina did not do so either.

Give it a shot, the worse they can say to you is "NO".

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This truck is way beyond a "soaking". Some components may be able to be rebuilt but it is definately not worth getting and thinking of restoring it. There is alot of exfoliation corrosion everywhere.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i spent 5 or so hours in the parish seat(like a county) as the city records were gone... they only showed the 1935 map where 100 plus acres were in one persons posesion.. an afterward that portion was anexed into the city limits there no longer had to show any new land exchanges is what i was told.. the new city hall will be opened soon and the records that were stored on micro film will be available in the near future... i told a local firefighter about it that had a brother in law city cop and he had no luck either finding the owners.. there is a 211 for sale in my home town for 4K so if i wanted that type truck it would be cheaper i am thinking to just buy that one... if my wife hadnt been so on me i would just back up to it with 816 and haul it home not looking back ... haha:-D

mhassett

Tim;
Drag it out with the 816, then head to No Title, No Paperwork, No Problem.
I wish I had done that with the Jeep I aquired that was left in a house a friend bought.
Unfortunately I did the honest thing, tracked down the owner and turned the Jeep over the him. Needless to say, I took it to his house in NOLA, 2 weeks before Katrina. Then it was under 15 FT of water, and really ruined.
If you need help, remember to call.
mhassett

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i will try again to talk wife into letting me just go pick it up.. not to far of a haul even if i just get some parts.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check abandoned vehicle laws. Also, it wouldn't hurt the run the VIN through the DMV and see if you get any hits.
Exactly, check both abandoned land and vehicle laws for your area. I know that for texas the land has to be either left "fallow" or unmaintained at least between 20-40 years with no claims, and usually non-fenced. If they find a family member or someone related to the previous owner they will contact him/her and probably ask him to pay the excess fees or surrender the land, if you dont just buy it from the county if they cant.

As for abandoned vehicle..that's murky water. I say document everything from pictures to efforts and give it time. I know it has to sit for at least 90 days on non-private property for even the most remote possibility of it being abandoned. Even then I believe that vehicle must be issued a citation that the vehicle must be moved or be towed at the owners expense. If that doesnt work I've seen cars claimed..but by what your pictures show.. the rusty points on the barbwire are the least of your worries.

But great find and god speed.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm sorry guys but I just can't agree with the "Snatch and Run" theory. To me anyway you slice it that is just darn right theft:cry:
Heck if you can find out who owns it they just might give it away to get rid of it. Or not.

Just my personal opinion but I will do without the truck before I will take it without someones knowledge/permission no matter how bad I want it.

I know where there is a nice weather beaten WC52 and a WC57 Command Car both highly restorable. I just drool all over myself when I think of them!!:drool:
I'm 99.9% sure I could load them up and haul @ss and never get caught, but then I could never enjoy them.
The guy that owns them is out of the country all the time and will not return calls etc. so they are doomed to die in place I guess:cookoo:

And that's all I have to say about that:roll:

Crazyguyla

Tim,

When I bought my deuce from Kelly's Jeeps. He told me the truck had come from across the lake. There seems to have been an avid MV collector on your side of the lake, Ron Schwary, but he died more than a few years ago and the stuff that was left was left sitting were it was. If you see the pictures of my deuce, you can see it had been sitting for a long time. The land in question my have belonged to this now deceased individual. I can tell you the paperwork and stuff needed to title a "found" vehicle. I'm waiting to get m deuce operational and together before having the local PD do the VIN check.

Hope this helps,

Marcus

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a long time neighbor told me the land belong to a big time horse owner.. racing horsed was the most that he had... he had a old time cowboy type man living in the now gone house trailer.. and when he had a horse that needed some down time and some nursing he brought it to this place and the man cared 24/7 for them... but that man died in the late 70s the neighbor told me ... and he has not seen a soul there since. this might be the sleeping dog that your dad told you about many moons ago

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Tim I think I know you well and consider you a true friend and an honorable man. I know you will not take that truck without authorization...my comments were general in nature.

Here's another general comment...and I borrow your "sleeping dog" example.
MY Dad always told me not to bother the old coon hound when he was sleeping cause he might bite me. Well...that was such a gentle dog I just couldn't imagine that happening.

One day the old dog was sleeping on the porch and I pulled his ear...he bit me!!

Maybe that's why they say...let sleeping dogs lie??:idea:

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you are correct sir.. you do know me pretty well.. you know if me an pam spent the better part of a day looking up the records to see who owned that land and the truck instead of spending that time hookin her up.. and all the trips knocking on the neighbors door... leaving my phone number and getting theirs in return... if i cant proudly put it in front of my shop then its not worth the effort... ... not worth all the trouble of looking over your back or always thinking who will come a looking for stolen goods.. nothing stolen here yet... that price would be to high indeed.

littlebob

Tim, Ever find the owner? I was looking at an old abandoned 66' El Camino 20yrs ago and was able to find the name of the owner at the Clerk Of Courts office here. I don't remember if I ever found them, but it was before I had a computer. Never took it any further and lost interest. It was
on my drive to work and the more I looked at it, the less I was wanted to find the owner.

Cigarjoe

If the truck is on private property its not abandon, its parked, even if twenty 20 years its still parked. The city wont be able to tell you anything, because after so many years the city doesn't even keep plat records of the land. It all goes to the county (or perish in your case). The place you need to check with is the county tax office they are the ones that collect the taxes for the state. That office may not be called the tax office, you need to ask the county clerk who is in charge of collecting taxes or the county and that person will have an address they are sending the tax bill to. I have been a city council member or mayor for five different towns in several different states and it worked like this in every state. The problem is, these are for the most part over paid lazy county workers that don't want you there because they have to do the job they were hired to if you are there. Or try calling to state department of revenue. Because, believe me I don't care if Katrina's big sister comes through every couple of weeks the state will be all over that county to collect the taxes on that property. You may find out that the taxes haven't been paid and the state has the property in its hands for some reason and not sold it.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i forgot to mention one thing ... everyone i talked to at the clerk of cout down to the tax man... there is no address for this place.... if i had the address then it would all be fast and sweet... there is no mailbox.. no sign stating any form of address... there is not another homestead or place for ... seams like 1/2 afterward and 1/4 miles before.. and its a dead end road... only a small handfull of residents across the road... well directly accros the road is a big sigh.. forsale... i even called that realty... not a clue she told me... so the best bet would be the post office... they would tell me the old address and then it would be sweet n easy.. didnt think about that one:-D

ABN173

One would think the the US Gov has records/data on who their vehicles were sold too.....at least originally, perhaps there is a way to track down the owner this way?

ammodude

Are there oil/gas wells, or pipeline in/through the area? Oil/gas and pipeline companies research the property owners both surface and mineral. Next thought what about a title company in the area. Most real estate transaction require a title search/insurance, title companies keep the ownership history.

might try Louisiana

conductorx

I truly surprised since all property in St. Tammany Parish is 100% zoned. If you do learn something and need help with recovery let me know. I'll be happy to pitch in and help.

In Pontchatoula near Tim's house is a junk yard full of 40s and 50s model cars. You can't see them for all of the trees and weeds. This time of year some cars become visible. I have seen Edsel's, Mercurys and Buicks in there. Occassionally you will see one outside by the highway. I long thought the place was abandoned only to learn the owner is dismantling the cars slowly but surely. He is selling the parts at a huge swap meet in Dallas that is held twice a year.

Gary

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks