• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce hyd power steering

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
just a little insight into this. i wanted to use as many off the shelf parts as i could so i ordered just 2 tie rod ends that were suitable. they came and i ordered 8 more. NOT available, seems i just bought the last 2 in the US! NAPA sucks! finally found them at another truck place, this time asked how many were availably, more than 100, so ok. then the reservoirs i was going to use turned out to be junk, poor design and poorly made so had to find more and get a sample etc. hyd. hose is expensive so to save people money i had to look for hours to find a good supply and a good price. same with the hose fittings, local shop wanted 3 times as much as i ended up paying. this all translates into the bottom line. everything took longer than i wanted, but i had to get one item, make sure it would work then get more. ordered ujoints from NAPA, again they said they had them, then when ordered, not available. i am going to stop even trying NAPA! waiting now on suction hose and fittings and final touches to pitman arms. it should be done by the end of the week. of course next time around it will be faster since i now know who to order from!
tom

Last edited:

beemerphile

that is a good price, but i only made 5 kits and 3 are allegedly spoken for. i will be making another 5 in a month or so but it will take time. i don't want to sell kits before they are really fully completed, still waiting for some items to finish.
tom
I hope I am in the "allegedly spoken for" camp. If not, I think I will still pick one up in case I have to cobble up an installation of my own. I hope not because it looks to be about six feet over my head.

treeguy

Tom, I have been following your incredible undertaking with great interest. You are doing a great job and service to the MV community. Going the extra mile with your research on afordable and durable parts is tough and I think that I can speek for all of us by saying thank you.

I don't know if you're familiar with the MSC Industrial Supply Co., but that is were I go when I need hard to find fastiners and odd parts. It is not really a vehicle vender, but lots of their products can be used on the deuce. I read about your feasco with the U joints and it reminded me of the sleek looking ones I'd seen on MSC. I don't know how comparable the pricing would be, but heres a link. They have many sizes. When I had thought about creating a hydro steering set up, I was thinking of using this type of product.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/NavigationServlet/Motion-Control-Fluid-Power/Shaft-Collars-Couplings-Mounts-Keys/Couplings-Universal-Joints/Universal-Joints/_/N-77fvv/No-0?Nrc=id+10000000+exposed+true+dynrank+enabled+dyncount+100+dynorder+dynamic&Ntk=All_MSC&Ntt=universal+joints&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&rawInput=universal+joints%C2%A2universal+joints#productsContent

Keep up the great work!:beer:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
yes MSC. they could not get the 1"16 tpi left hand tap i needed. had to buy a used, but like new bottom tap on ebay and drive it to york, pa to have it changed into a plug tap. every place has something but not all.
tom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i see that boyce now has their price set at $4150. really? eastern surplus has their kit about $1000 more than mine. well now at least you have choices! and another dealer told me recently he would have a kit out by summer. go figure!
tom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
good question! if it does it wouldn't be by much and i think it could easily be solved. it would probably not be thecolumn mounting as much as the lower shaft going to the outside of the frame.
tom

tgarrisoniv

i know its not street legal, but my full hydro steer i can turn sittin still with my pinky 3 turns lock to lock. with a 84 tacoma PS pump, tractor supply 3x12 steering ram, and eaton 4 port steering valve... just a thought. whole set up cost me around 450 + my labor (which is free to me...)

oh, also had to upgrade drag link as hydro steer was too strong for it and bent the bar. simply straightened it and threw a sch80 pipe over it, drilled holes every 6 in and spot welded.

tgarrisoniv

first off, i have mounted it twice. first time with the stock air compressor in place, and then i removed my air compressor. Mounting with air compressor was a bit of a pain for space but still worked well. ill put some pics up.

tgarrisoniv

This is mounted without air compressor. i added a small electric air compressor in the cab. works well. The tacoma pump has a remote reservoir i mounted on the firewall which makes for installing the pump easier for space issues. I also had to search for the right size belts which consisted of the ole string measurement and buy the size you think and one size bigger and one size smaller. This pump obviously was not made to turn these big of tires but with the full hydro set up, the performance of it is really astounding. like i said i can turn my 23.1"x 63" v-treads like they street slicks sittin still. (and when they are 5 feet deep in mud:mrgreen:
also, i had hydro lines made at napa, all for under $100 bucks. & ram mount was simply a few chunks of 3/4" steel i drilled a hole and welded. i got quite a few PMs in the last 5 min about this so check back here. ill be happy to answer any other ? about my setup as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks