• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce hyd power steering

treeguy

:popcorn: Isn't that why CC said that there was a pressure relief valve built into the system?

Edit, sorry you guys type way faster than me, I was refering to the shear pin Heath mentioned.

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

Actually, I missed his second post where he mentioned it. I only saw Gringletaube's. I was looking at the fleabay listing and missed it there as well... *(it's under the hose)

My bad.:oops:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK then, obviously not all kits are created equal... :)

I think the original steering box is well built for its original job and strong enough to handle the 9.00-20 (skinny) NDCC's, on and off-road, even on a winch-truck. "Armstrong steering" is perfectly tolerable, there, IMHO.
But that's about it. Put on some extra-wide supersingle, soft radials like the 14.5R20 Contis and try to park your truck in a tight spot like you always did.....
On top of that you find that caster now is insufficient (truck wandering all over the road) so you correct that, at the expense of even more steering effort... Than you realize that the original pitman arm actually is very short, that that causes bump-steer, that there are situations where a full right turn is not all the way to the knuckle stop-screw...., etc, etc.
That's when I decided it was time to do the upgrade to a more modern, hydraulic steering box..... almost ten years ago!

G.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
park your truck on dry pavement with 14.5R20 michelins. now get 2 strong guys to MAKE the wheels turn. this is what you will be doing to the steering box. a 40 year old box with a bad seal and low fluid as well perhaps. at what point does the box input shaft just shear off?
yes it works and has been done by many others, but is it the best idea? oh, by the way, i welcome the competition, and it brings out discussion of systems.
tom

ccequipment

Trying to keep things simple and affordable
These kits have been working well in the real world so no need to make them more costly and complex
I agree a ram addition setup may be better but these kits work fine in a money tight world
The market will on bear so much

treeguy

Don't the newer trucks (military) that are singled out, have a sort of slaved ram on the passenger side to relieve some of the stress at the drivers side pitman linkage?

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
a SS member stopped by and we put his 395 on hemmet wheels on to see if there were clearance issues. it looks closer in the pics than it really is, it clears by 1/8" and he had welded in centers so those with bolt on centers will have even more room.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Did you try stuffing the drivers tire up as much as possible when turning or is that a full turn to lock on flat ground?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it is turned to lock on flat ground but even in worst case it would not hit hard enough to be a problem. the wheel choice pretty much dictates clearance. with my custom wheels it clears by about 2 " using 14.5R20XL

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ahh ok, well I'll have to assume it would hit with mine since I have the same wheels/tires. Thanks for testing this.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
no problem. but so what if it did, 'hit', i prefer touch, but so what? there are 10,000 times it would be real nice to have power steering and 4 times you may be limited on how hard you can turn to the right! also there are solutions to this such as a custom pitman arm etc.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Given how my 46's scrub the J pipe on the passenger side (even lifting it up as high as possible) off road. I wouldn't want to give it another side to scrub on. That's the only reason I asked. [thumbzup]

Hello All! I did my homework and read on here for a few hours before I decided to post my question. I recently had the good fortune to salvage some parts off of a M543A2W Wrecker (do not know why the 3 is in there). The pump is a Ross HF64-R. Has anyone had any luck with this model installing on the Deuce? The tank was mounted to the fender. Bracket has a doubler that mounted it at the top of the frame. Thanks in advance for any input. Great site!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks