• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce hydrolocked?

scorpion6

Ever run out to the deuce to start her up and upon doing the hydrolock test ( we should all be doing pre start up) you get the dreaded bump start. Well it happened to me this morning! So I started the process of clearing it. 1st remove lines, 2nd remove keepers, 3rd remove injectors, 4th attempt to clear. Only thing is you get another bump start! Then it dawns on me, get ready to laugh, Push the clutch in stupid. She rolled over without a hitch, and was never hydrolocked. Oh well I needed the practice.:goodjob:

scorpion6

As far as bumping it and it rolling away, man you have some serious cars around your neiborhood, I always do the second thing you should always do; pull the engine stop lever and leave it out.

welldigger

Was not in gear, but for some odd ball reason mine will not start until the clutch is pressed?
You need to investigate why your engine won't turn over with the trans in neutral and the clutch engaged. Your starter should have no trouble spinning the engine and transmission over.

scorpion6

I hear ya, first thing I am going to check when I get a chance. I am unsure but it could have gotten bumped in when I was reaching across, but never noticed it. The deuce is new to me, but Ive had m37s, a goat, and an m715.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As far as bumping it and it rolling away, man you have some serious cars around your neiborhood, I always do the second thing you should always do; pull the engine stop lever and leave it out.
Unfortunately many lives have been lost from bump/roll starting of these trucks. There's no need for electrical in a M39/M44 series multifuel truck. Granted the likely hood is low, it's still a possibility. Co-worker of mine is retired army medic. The most unfortunate call he went on was someone crushed between a M35A2 winch truck and a wall that was bump started by accident. To make matters worse, the individual was still very much alive on the scene. Until they had to remove him. (Just look up compartment or crush syndrome)

Mine stay parked in neutral, brakes on, wheels chocked, stop lever pulled and left out.

scorpion6

You could always try to manually turn the motor with a large wrench and cheater, but the starter is easier. It will not roll over if hydrolocked, but if it doesnt immediatly stop trying to prevent damage and clear it.

texas30cal

Ok that is kind of what I thought about just being careful with the starter, wasn't sure if one could roll it over with a wrench or not. It looks like the owner of the two I want is finally going to have time to check them out soon.

scorpion6

If you have good batteries, just engage the engine kill lever hit the accessory switch, and pushe the start button. If she rolls over no worries, just push the kill lever in and start. If it bump starts, my term for half turns then will not completely roll over, she is hydrolocked. Pull the injectors and roll it over to clear it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks