• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce idea?

4x4e350

I just won my first GL item, it's a M105 trailer, so of course, awaiting the EUC to clear, I have been watching for a Deuce next. I have really been looking at all the awesome modded Deuces, and have determined a bobbed deuce would be the way to go for me. For driveability purposes.
I currently have a E350 Ambulance I converted to 4x4, that I use for my weekend warrior. I do everything with it, from hauling lumber for the addition I'm currently building on my house, to pulling my camper and boat. But being in Michigan, the front cab is about out of life (rusted), the 7.3 diesel and tranny is new, and the back aluminum box is in great shape.
So I'm thinking about getting a Deuce, adding the 7.3, possible tranny ,and aluminum box to it.
I think I may be able to find a parts Deuce I could use, that had the main parts I needed to save some cost.
Has anyone added the 7.3 to a Deuce?
What Deuces had divorced transfer cases, if any? (I seem to remember reading they had divorced transfer cases) Or would it be better to keep the stock Deuce tranny? If possible?

Kohburn

transfer case is seperate, if you can fit the engine/trans in there and get the electronics to work then nothing is stopping you from making it work.

mudguppy

you need to do some measuring to determine what you'll be getting into. you've got 42" from the firewall to the headlight supports. if your radiator is wider than 35", then it won't fit between the headlights and you'll only have 37" from the firewall to work with, or you'll have to move the headlights outboard.

also, the spicer transmission is extremely short - 25". so, in total, the output of your 4R100 trans to the front of your engine, radiator, and intercooler needs to be less than about ~61" for it to fit without having to do some sheetmetal work. 61" sounds like a lot, but it really isn't because your trans is going to eat more than half of that... and i can tell you that a 7.3 is going to eat the rest without a radiator or IC.

you'll need to add an air compressor and figure out your electrical system - either convert to 12 volts or use a battery equalizer to provide 12 volts to your ECM/PCM, guages, and such. if you stay at 24 volts and use an equalizer, you can get your alternator and starter rebuilt to 24 volts.

obviously motor and trans mounts would need to be fabricated but shouldn't be extremely elaborate. if you are staying with smaller tires, manual steering would be fine but the time of the rest of this work would be opportune to do a power steering swap or go full hydro, especially if you plan to increase to large tires.

just my 2cents.

4x4e350

you need to do some measuring to determine what you'll be getting into. you've got 42" from the firewall to the headlight supports. if your radiator is wider than 35", then it won't fit between the headlights and you'll only have 37" from the firewall to work with, or you'll have to move the headlights outboard.

also, the spicer transmission is extremely short - 25". so, in total, the output of your 4R100 trans to the front of your engine, radiator, and intercooler needs to be less than about ~61" for it to fit without having to do some sheetmetal work. 61" sounds like a lot, but it really isn't because your trans is going to eat more than half of that... and i can tell you that a 7.3 is going to eat the rest without a radiator or IC.

you'll need to add an air compressor and figure out your electrical system - either convert to 12 volts or use a battery equalizer to provide 12 volts to your ECM/PCM, guages, and such. if you stay at 24 volts and use an equalizer, you can get your alternator and starter rebuilt to 24 volts.

obviously motor and trans mounts would need to be fabricated but shouldn't be extremely elaborate. if you are staying with smaller tires, manual steering would be fine but the time of the rest of this work would be opportune to do a power steering swap or go full hydro, especially if you plan to increase to large tires.

just my 2cents.
Thanks, good info.
I didn't realize the tranny was so short in the Deuce. I actually have a built E4OD, so that would be even longer, it would be hard to set up right without moving the TC back, and making new drive shafts. Has anyone made a adapter so the 7.3 can be fit to the Spicer?

mudguppy

the spicer is an SAE bolt pattern - no.3? now i can't remember...

anyway, yes - you can mate to the spicer with an SAE engine adapter. what i don't know is if the medium duty 7.3's use an engine adapter or if the SAE is cast apart of the block. if it's an adapter, International school buses should be a pretty good place to look for this piece.

and while you're canabalizing the bus, take the brake power source system: if it's air, then the air compressor will be valuable. if it's hydro-boost, then the hydro-max master cylinder, brake booster, pump, pedal assembly, and front calipers and rotors will be valuable for converting to hydro-boost'd disc brakes. there are lots of threads & pics on pirate4x4.com regarding disc brake swaps onto the rockwells using bus brake parts.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you should buy a another ambulance or the front of a van and fix your current ride.

Heavysteven

:ditto:No way i see a powerstroke going into a deuce. Could the transmission even hold up? Air compressor? 12 volt electric..if its a 96 or newer the throttle is controled electronically.

Best option i have seen is a cummins. I think the costs would out way the benifits.

That said i own a 6.0 Powerstroke and love it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks