• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Idle RPM?

steelandcanvas

I'm sure there is a thread for this, but I can't find it. What is idle RPM for a Deuce. Took a little spin around the block and the idle seems lower than when I started, it's at around 650...I know it should be higher than that.

Banshee365

My idle bounces a little at idle. I have my idle set around 850 or so. It doesn't bounce much but you can definetly hear it and see the smoke puffs. I'm not expecting any IP failing though. I'm guessing it had to do with adding the turbo.

-Kelly

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To add to this, if you are going to be idling your truck for more than a few minutes, use the throttle and bump up the RPMs to slightly over 1000. Much better for the engine.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
with the failed ip, i could start it with starting fluid and it would run over 1000 rpm and drive but when you let it go below 1000 it would just shut off. stater could not crank it fast enough to trip the injectors. when running if you pulled the stop cable and released it it would go to a different rpm each time, but near the same rpm. pulled the ip head and the plunger was badly worn, way too much clearance. put another head on after fitting a plunger to it and started right up. changing the ip head was very easy and i would reccomend that over changing the whole injection assy.

steelandcanvas

Thanks Guys, I started Her back up and She idled at about 750. I wanted to shorten the accelerator linkage to bring the idling RPM's up a little more, but there is no more adjustment, any ideas now? Is the adjustment for idle in the linkage or somewhere on the IP?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a screw with a jam nut that sets the idle speed. I think it is forward of the throttle arm shaft.(on the top corner)

houdel

steelandcanvas said:
What is idle RPM for a Deuce?
Per TM 9-2320-361-20, the correct engine idle speed is supposed to be stamped on the fuel pump data plate. For LDT 465-1 and early 1C engines the idle speed is spec'd at 650-700 rpm; for 1D and later 1C engines the idle speed is 800-850 rpm. The higher idle speed seems to work better for most, the engine doesn't shake the truck apart and the filaments in those expensive headlamp bulbs last longer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Deuce Idle RPM?

That 650 and 700 rpm figure is for the LD engines not the LDT engines.

houdel

Re: RE: Re: Deuce Idle RPM?

Recovry4x4 said:
That 650 and 700 rpm figure is for the LD engines not the LDT engines.
Negative. Direct quote from the TM 9-2320-361-20 series page 1-32:
"Idle speed: Early Models (LDT 465-1 and LDT 465-1C) (engine idle speed stamped on fuel pump ID plate)......... 650-700 rpm"

Might have been changed at a later date, my TM includes Change #C, dated 10AUG1988. This was the current TM on LOGSA as of about a year ago.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: Deuce Idle RPM?

Different TMs. My 361-20 is dated October 1991 and this is a copy and paste from it.
ENGINE
Manufacturer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Hercules Engines, Inc.
Model . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . LD-465-1, LD-465-1C
Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. Liquid-Cooled, Multifuel,
Six Cylinders, In-Line
Model . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . LDT-465-1C, LDT-465-1D
Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Turbocharged, Liquid-Cooled,
Multifuel, Six Cylinders, In-Line
Weight . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,650 lb
Idle Speed:
Early Models (LD-465-1, LD-465-1C)
(engine idle speed stamped on fuel pump ID plate) . . . . . . . . . 650-700 rpm
Late Models (LDT-465-1C, LDT-465-1D)
(engine idle speed stamped on fuel pump ID plate) . . . . . . . . . 800-850 rpm
749 kg
I need to figure out how to do snap shots from TMs again.

houdel

RE: Re: RE: Re: Deuce Idle RPM?

OK. We are both right. I checked again, read too fast the first two times. Mine does say:

Early Models (LD-465-1 [NOT LDT 465-1 as I wrote], LD-465-1C)
(engine idle speed stamped on fuel pump ID plate) . . . . . . . . . 650-700 rpm

So I was wrong about the LD 465, right on the early LDT 465-1C. Now can we both shake hands, sing "Kumbaya" together, and just be friends again?

As for the snapshots from PDF files, Adobe did it to us again. In the past version of Adobe reader you could select the snapshot tool from either the menu bar or select Tools:Snapshot from the menu bar, I'm not sure which it was. In the new Adobe Reader v8.1.0 you have to go to the menu bar and select Tools:Select and Zoom:Snapshot Tool.

Jakob

Re: RE: Deuce Idle RPM?

steelandcanvas said:
Prior to your IP failure, was the engine surging in RPM's? It was fluctuating between 500-650 RPM's.
I have a surging idle now... but it's only occasional. It'll be a significant bounce when it does do it though; about 100-200rpms. Other times it will idle just fine, the only connection I can make is that it does it after running for a long time then I drop to idle (long drives).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks