• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce idle time question

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With an open stack and all the rain we get here, what keeps the J-pipe from filling full of rainwater?
Seems to me a coffee can over the stack when parked wouldn't be a bad idea or maybe some sort of drain valve like a pipe plug or an oil drain plug?
Coffee can is great. Especially when you forget it is there and shoot the can and a load of crud across the roof of your wife's car. Always a good laugh right there.

I recommend installing a metal flapper. Can be had for a few bucks at a tractor store. The latest model M35A2C had it from the factory.

Rustygears

Coffee can is great. Especially when you forget it is there and shoot the can and a load of crud across the roof of your wife's car. Always a good laugh right there.

I recommend installing a metal flapper. Can be had for a few bucks at a tractor store. The latest model M35A2C had it from the factory.
I use a 5 gal paint bucket. It is large enough to not blow away in the wind and heavy enough to not pop off when I start up because half the time I forget to remove it prior to starting. Seems to do the job well and the plastic material doesn't tear up the stack paint like a metal can would.

JasonS

The average deuce alternator is 60A. At 28V and 75% efficient that is ~3.2HP. Not enough of a load to prevent wet stacking no matter the size of the battery bank. There was a paper that came out recently which indicated engine life is cut in half when wet stacked compared to full load operation.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have run my deuce at "low" (1,000-1,500 ) revs for hundreds of hours over the years, operating the crane. The engine needs only 1/2 hour or so on the highway to clear.
It uses about 1 gal/hr, if not loaded down at those rpms.

Like WM said, you need deep cycle batteries if you plan to run them down, "starting" batteries will not take a full charge after only a few deep cycles.

To shorten the charge time, use NiCd (aircraft) batteries. They can handle a thousand or more deep cycles, but will require at least a 100 amp generator/alternator...(edit) unless there is current limiting circuitry in line...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks