• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce in flood

Killer_Junior

O.K.- I gotta weigh in on your local cops...they're screwed up.

I'm a Sheriff's Deputy in my county, and we had a really rotten flood last Friday night. One of our patrol cars was stranded, we closed highways due to water, and about twenty houses were destroyed in a low-lying area.

The only vehicles getting in and out of some of those spots were a couple of M-series 5-ton brush trucks the local FD has (and they even got one stuck). :shock:

If someone had come by me with a deuce that night, I would have grabbed the driver and said, "Sir, I've got a few jobs for you!".

(Believe me, I was secretly hoping for Maccus to show up and rescue us) :wink:

N1265

Good for you stretch for being willing to help out. I go to Shelby all the time and no way would I have ever thought that creek would swell to that depth.

sorry to hear about your aunts house but the pictures are great..... and you should keep them on hand in case someone ask you " what do you have that thing for "

As for the cop, when he asked you " who are you with " you should of just maid up an official sounding agency, like maybe the USDRA ( the United Stretch Disaster Relief Agency ) .... and then said I am here to help. With all of the goverment agencies out there that nobody has heard about..... He might of fallen for it.

dabtl

In April we had a ten inch rain in about four hours here. We took the deuce out and had a much different reception.

A cops saw us and pulled us over to ask that we assist. We pulled a man off of the top of an F250 on one of our main streets. The road looked like an amusement park ride with the rushing water, but there was no saw mill at the end of the street.

We then were directed to another area for assistance to the Sheriff.

We measured the debris in the radiator at five feet high the next day.

mangus580

saw a clip here on our local news tonight! They featured that pic when they first started talking about it, then they showed video of you driving! it was GREAT!

:driver:

rmgill

Stretch44875 said:
Get to dry ground, cop asks me who I'm with. I say nobody, just seeing if I can help out. He says "stay out of the water or you'll be arrested". Okay, fine, see ya later!
What's he gonna do, swim over there and climb up out of the water onto the truck and arrest you there? Or after you drag him and his little squad car out of the huge fugging lake?

rmgill

Note to remember when fording in a Deuce.

Your Feet get wet. Have the ability to put the manuals and stuff under my seats in a dry box. Hmm Big 20mm ammo cans for that stuff I guess eh?

hummer4x4guy

Dennis
That is really some outstanding work you did and tried to do. I could only DREAM of using my m998 as well as you used your truck. The last pic of your truck with the camera guy shooting ya would make a heck of a nice avatar picture for ya.
High 5!
Joel

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mike, you need to contact that station and try to get that video!!

WE NEED IT HERE!!!!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would love to have the video!

Recovering from the fording is kicking my butt! So far, repacked the front wheel bearings, repacked the axle boots, changed oil in transfer, transmission, and all 3 axles, checked rear bearings...

The front axle had maybe a 1/4 cup of water in it, and the transfer case was full of milk. Everything else came thru dry. Went ahead and changed the oil in everything, it was due.

Dennis
________
Gm Vortec Engine History

Last edited:

DMgunn

In defense of the officer...............when there is relatively minor (non life-threatening) flash-flooding in my area, the local radio stations and LEOs try to get EVERYONE off the streets. Very often the lifted 4x4 guys will be out there trying to help, but end up breaking basement windows from the wake as they drive by. I guess that doesn't impress the people with dry basements. Obviously, driving slowly solves that problem, but you know how people get when there is urgency involved.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I suspect that video is out there floating around on the AP newswire in some way or another.........................

One of these local affiliates has to have it on their website......

TedG

Wow! Just searched youtube and found a lot of footage but no Duece...yet.

If you want, do a search for flood ohio and see what is happening that area...Findlay is a lake!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife is from Findlay, pretty bad that both our hometowns got flooded.

Last edited:

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did right! You're a top-shelf citizen. If you would have been cited, it would have drawn attention to you and what citizens do for one and other. I think it would have gone your way.
Police officers get pounded with, "Hey! If HE can do that, why can't I?" (Granted, we ALL know a good answer for that. BECAUSE HE"S DRIVING A DEUCE, THAT"S WHY!!) But, it's hard to always be a referee to the public. I'm glad you didn't get cited. I AM glad you got those awesome pics. Great for historical archives! Have you gotten with your local paper?

Lawyers, lawsuits, litigation, liability, and legislation have hurt our efforts to help one-and-other in emergencies. We live in a 911 society, where all you can do is call 911 and wait for an "official" response. We haven't seen the worst.

I ran across this thread after posting. Interesting correlation.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....7&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks