• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce In the Snow. Amazing.

Josh

I was pretty surprised how well mine did as well the first time I took it out in a good bit of snow in Idaho. The one thing to watch out for is any substantial side hill. Only time I've had issues was on a slick side hill. Look for a thread by "joey", I believe he was in your neck of the woods. He had a bit of a scary adventure involving a deuce, snow, and a slight sidehill!
I avoid sidehillin whether it be dry, snowing, wet, muddy.

DieselBob

We had 24 ~ 28 inches last year and I had a ball. Aired down the tires to 20psi and had a great time roaming the roads. Never had a problem with the NDCC tires and made it through several snow banks the plows had made. Hoping for the same this year. Wish I had a heater to defrost the windshield. Just need to air down the tires BEFORE the snow hits.:roll:

Attachments

powerhouseduece

We had 24 ~ 28 inches last year and I had a ball. Aired down the tires to 20psi and had a great time roaming the roads. Never had a problem with the NDCC tires and made it through several snow banks the plows had made. Hoping for the same this year. Wish I had a heater to defrost the windshield. Just need to air down the tires BEFORE the snow hits.:roll:

I hope we get another 2-3' here this year, I had a blast last year!! I have a spare 5ton hood that was dented in, I cut all the latches off the top of it. I made a sturdy strap mount on the front of it and it made a AWESOME sled. I was towing it behind my 818 with 3 friends on it. We didnt stop for about 2 days.

Keep up the snow wheeling josh.

Josh

Just watched the news.. Expecting another 20-28inches more up on the mountain. I think i might need to call in sick to work tuesday and go play in the mountain.

Josh

Hmmm . . . A "premeditated sickness" :?: Isn't that grounds for termination :?:

Hope you have TONS of fun if you do declare yourself "sick" :D

Not when your basicly self employed, and your "boss" is your parents.

PS - Here was the last daylight and current picture on the pass.

Attachments

Last edited:

Josh

Went back up there Monday night. Snow was falling at a rate of 3inchs Per hour, with sustained winds of 35mph. A blizzard if there ever was one. It was so hard to see, that I drove past my turnoff and didnt even realize it until I was another few miles down the road. When we first got up there, it wasnt snowing hard, but since the deuce is over 10k lbs, I had no choice but to chain up as it was required, because it had been snowing non-stop for the last 24 hours, and the plows couldnt keep up. We pulled into a parking lot to have some fun, and soon realized that most of the parking lot was bumper deep. With chains, the deuce didnt even struggle to keep going. Even coming to a stop and then trying to plow forward in the bank wasnt a problem at all. I did only chain up my front axle and my rear-rear. I figured if I had needed it I would have chained up the middle axle, but came to the conclusion that it wasnt nessassary.

It was amazing fun, even made 50 bucks dragging a bob tailed semi out of his parking spot.(plow made a wall in front of him). There was tons of cars in the ditch, and on the way up, at least half the of the rigs that we passed coming down, were tow trucks.

In conclusion, deuce with chains = Super amazing. If ya have a deuce, and a set of tirechains, dont fear snow, fear the dumb people who dont know how to drive in the snow. Also I find the deuce would be safer to drive in the snow, cause if someone does hit you, You gots lots of green iron to protect ya.

I nabbed a few crappy cellphone vids, and the amount you see, is really the distance we could see. Id say visabilty was aprox 15ft. at best.

Also those ruts do the depth of the snow no justice.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEj7cHsAJUM[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZRyQwxehHc[/media]

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks