• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce is broke down in Maine :-(

Massm35a2

Decided to take the deuce up to my friends in Maine for the weekend. Trip started out great. Deuce ran super all the way up. I had to convince the toll booths to take my money. They all were waving me through thinking I was Military. Started the Deuce this morning and let her Idle for about 20 min to warm up. It was 34f out. Left there house and got 4 miles down the road and the engine just shut off like I pulled the stop cable. :-( I thought the fuel filter was blocked. I opened the bleeder on top of the filters and turned the pump on. Fuel shot right out. I cracked the return line I got fuel there also. I took one of the lines off of #4 injector and cranked it, No fuel at all. :cry: My friend got his F-150 and a chain to toe me back to his house. We got a mile up the road where we were going to turn around and a state trooper pulled us over. :cry: We were told that we could not toe it any more. Only if we had a tow bar. He then asked for my license and gave me a hard time because I did not have a class B license. We left the deuce there and borrowed a tow bar. Got the bar hooked up and the truck is back at his house for now. They gave me a ride home and I will have to try to go up there the last week of the month and try to fix it. I am soo upset. My poor Deuce and wallet :-( I am thinking it has to be the hydrolic head. It is only 3 months old. :(

FreightTrain

Banned
Check the screen inside the tank first.Mine would do that after I topped off the tank once with Gasoline.30 years of sludge broke loose and clogged the screen/pickup.

texas-5-ton

Wow Mass, Sorry to hear about your problem. I feel even worse because I think that I amy have jinxed you. We were talking last night about what class of drivers license was needed and I made the comment that a class B was needed (in Texas) but that most law enforcement officials would probably leave you alone. I also included that the only one that would give you any problems would be the highway patrol.

SORRY MAN ! ! !

hope everything works out ok with your truck..

chad

cten

A class B lic is not needed in the State of Massachusetts. You must have gotten a rookie. You traveled from New Bedford near the cape? I find it tough to travel more than an hour at a time.

Hope you made out okay.

Regards,

Massm35a2

cranetruck said:
Take the cover off of the fuel shut-off assembly on the IP. Make sure the lever moves freely.
That was the 1st place I looked, Nice and free :-( I also cranked it with the cover off and watched the gear for the Hydro head spin.

Massm35a2

cten said:
A class B lic is not needed in the State of Massachusetts. You must have gotten a rookie. You traveled from New Bedford near the cape? I find it tough to travel more than an hour at a time.

Hope you made out okay.

Regards,
Ran Awesome all the way up, 4 1/2 hours just stopping for fuel and averaged almost 10MPG. Went right through Boston through the tunnels and over the Tobin bridge. Thank God it didn't die there.

ida34

I have to agree with CTEN. I looked into the requirement for the class b license and the only one I found in Maine was what a driving instructor needs to teach driver's instruction. Massm35a2, I think the guy that stopped you was wrong about the license requirements. Talk to a certifed commercial enforcement officer at your local PD and discuss this with them.

Towerguy1

CDL is NOT required in Maine. Remember to state the breaks are "air assist" not regular air breaks. Also the fact that it is a wheeler (meaning 3 axles and 10 wheels) may make them assume that its registration is over 26,000 lbs which it should be 24,500 at most. If you attach a trailer to it then things change, The "combination weight" makes it Class B.

ida34

In all states that I have checked it is not the vehicle or combination that signifies the need for a CDL it is the purpose. If you are not engaged in any commercial enterprise (commerce of any kind) then you do not need a commercial driver's license. If you are engaged in commercial purposes and are driving a truck with air brakes or the total GVW of truck and trailer exceed 26001 lbs then you need a CDL with the proper endorsements. When you are engaged in commercial venture but drive a lower GVW combinations you do not need a CDL even though you are driving for commercial purposes. There are of course many special situations when driving commercially that would require a CDL even though the weight limit was not crossed. I have found that California has non-commercial license classes for larger trucks and in this case you would need to get the endorsement but are not required to get a CDL.

Check with your local commercial enforcement officer at your local law enforcement agency to be sure what you need when. :driver:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
There are a number of reasons I would not care to be a law enforcement officer (remember the case a few years ago where a guy that threw an infant out of the window of a care on the expressway, and was "apprehended" - a prime example, were I the officer catching him - I doubt he'd have been "apprehended" - but I digress).

But these guys have a lot to remember - I let them just go on and say their piece - and if they wanna right a ticket, that's OK too. Its up to the judge to sort things out - and they often have a better grasp (or at least better reference materials).

Only exception was the time I was stopped in my Chevy pickup because I didn't have an interior rear view mirror. A Kenworth went by and I told the deputy "that truck doesn't have one either" - his reply of "he doesn't have to, but you do" resulted in my responding "write the ticket so we both can go home."

After a protracted delay he came back and said "I'm gonna let you go this time" LOL.

Regards,
David

cten

Correct Ida34/Towerguy1, correct air assist and it is hard to drill that into anyones head that does not understand or know how the vehicle is manufactured and assembled. Yes, I would check with my State Police Truck enforcement division not my local police department or regular state trooper. Lic is administered by the state, but is federally mandated for commercial trucking. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG.

I remember making about 20 different phone calls and visiting 3 different DMV sites and calling the federal and state transportation divisions. For the most part most people just are not familiar with the vehicle.

I've been told I'm driving too fast going 15 MPH in a residential zone marked for 25. It is just so big and loud it scares some people and the vehicle sounds like it is going and moving faster that what it is.

After all it is a beast and a work horse... That is what it was designed for. But I'll tell you this. It turns more heads than a 57 chevy coming down the street.

I love being asked why do I own it... My usual reply is "because I can" and then I say "because my wife let me".

I find it to be my refuge as my wife started cutting the lawn on me two years ago taking away my quite time...

Now if I go for a drive she only comes if we are going to get icecream and man it is a nice and quite ride(lack of conversation as the noise in the cab is loud). I'm joking, but the truck is something for me and my son and daughter to do together and it is a learning experience working on it. Thank GOD that has not been more than an alternator and regular maintainence.

I guess I have to fix my signture as it must have been lost with the last upgrade of the site some time back.

Regards,

ida34

The federal DOT stuff applies to commercial motor vehicles. There is no federal mandates relating to Non-commercial endorsements. The key about who to talk to state or local whatever is that they are commercial enforcement certified or active commercial enforcement officers. Several years ago most small department in Michigan did not have Motor Carrier Officers and they left it up to the State Police. The city governments figured out just how much they were loosing in revenue and started getting officers certified. In Michigan a commercial violation goes on a special citation that deals with commercial vehicles. Only the commercial enforcement officers have them even though any officer can right the violation. The commercial guys just get more specific training. This is where it went all wrong for the small landscapers and such. They typically drive at lease an F250 with two axle trailer. Most of the common two axle trailers have a gvw of 7000 lbs. This combined with a 7000 lbs truck put you over the limit of 13001 lbs. ( I am not sure of the weight but it is no the close ballpark). At this weight they must have the company name and location on both sides of the truck. Many of these guys around hear never had a problem until the new local commercial enforcement officers started writing them ticket for violations.

I also forgot to put it in this post. The presence of air brakes (not air assist like the deuce) will not trigger a need for a CDL unless you are driving commercially. You can drive a private vehicle for private purposes with air brakes all day unless you state has a special non-cdl endorsement that is needed. I know that Michigan does not have such a requirement.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
On the license question, I have a non-commercial Class B license here in Illinois. Got it when they changed over to the CDL system and converted the the old chauffer's license to the new ones. I don't drive commercially any more (can't pass a DOT physical), but I keep renewing the Class B because I like to drive my brother's big motor home on occasion and I drive my 40&8 voiture's '54 Chevy fire truck in all the parades we can get to. The last time I renewed, the girl at the counter told me I'd have to get CDL endorsements to keep it. Fortunately, the Secretary of State's inspector was there evaluating the clerks and he set her straight.