• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce is broke down in Maine :-(

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Precisely - cause there is no such code (requiring internal rear view mirror) - at least in Tennessee. I have a number of friends who are officers, and appreciate (and respect) the work they do - but this guy struck me as a freshly minted deputy who was truly full of himself. After he had wasted a substantial amount of my time, I felt it was basically time for him to do the deed - or learn that he was mistaken - in either case, it was time for the sermon about internal mirrors to end.

The stop before that - speeding - no arguement from me whatsoever.

So far - I've only been stopped once in a deuce....and that was about 9/16/01.

BTW, the deuce in Maine sounds to have hydraulic head problems.

Regards,
David

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking for FL only, deaf drivers are required to have 3 rear view mirrors, thats the only regulation I know.

houdel

ida34 said:
This combined with a 7000 lbs truck put you over the limit of 13001 lbs. ( I am not sure of the weight but it is no the close ballpark). At this weight they must have the company name and location on both sides of the truck.
Chuck - Straight off of the Secretary of State's Website:

Who Needs a Commercial Driver License (CDL)?

Any Michigan resident who intends to operate the following commercial vehicles is required to have a commercial driver license:

Single Vehicles - Having a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)* of 26,001 pounds or more.

Combination Vehicles - Towing a trailer or other vehicles with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more when the gross combination weight rating (GCWR)** is 26,001 pounds or more.

Vehicles:
* Designed to transport 16 or more people (including the driver)
* Carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding

*Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the recommended maximum total weight of the vehicle and load as designated by the vehicle manufacturer. The GVWR label is usually found on the driver side door post of the power unit and on the front left side of the trailer. The GVWR should not be confused with the elected gross vehicle weight (GVW) which is declared by the vehicle owner for registration purposes.

**Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) means the value specified by the manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of a combination vehicle. In the absence of a label, the GCWR can be calculated by adding the GVWR of the power unit to the GVWR of the vehicle(s) or trailer(s) being towed.

Exemptions: The following people do not need a CDL:

Active Duty Military (including National Guard): With military licenses operating military vehicles.

Police Officers and Firefighters: Meeting approved training standards and operating authorized emergency vehicles.

Farmers: Operating vehicles within a 150 mile radius of their farm.

*An F-endorsement is needed by farmers operating combination vehicles whose towing vehicle has a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more. A knowledge test, but no skills test, is required to obtain the F-endorsement.
* However, farmers who carry hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding while operating combination vehicles whose towing vehicle has a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or a single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, need a CDL with a hazardous materials endorsement.

Individuals: Operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non-business purposes. (Emphasis added)

carguy455

"Where in Maine is it? Maybe us Mainers can lend a hand if need be...."

Count me in too, always willing to help a fellow SS member in trouble in our neck of the woods...

Towerguy1 said:
CDL is NOT required in Maine. Remember to state the breaks are "air assist" not regular air breaks. Also the fact that it is a wheeler (meaning 3 axles and 10 wheels) may make them assume that its registration is over 26,000 lbs which it should be 24,500 at most. If you attach a trailer to it then things change, The "combination weight" makes it Class B.
I looked into this too here in Maine and Mike is right on the money, the trooper didn't have his facts right, he most likely just had his panties in a bunch over you guys towing it with a chain, they really frown on that here because there are SO many fools that try this here and something goes wrong [ because trucks and Budweiser DON'T mix , and most here have not figured that out yet :roll: ]. So he most likely was going to give you a hard time about ANYTHING the minute he saw your towing technique. Don't let it bother you, he cannot site you and have it stick :) .

Massm35a2

Thanks Guys,

I have Saturday that I may run up to work on it. I have a Spare injecton pump that is in ??? shape. I also have a spare Hyro head. I think that is where the problem is.