• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Jack Safety Questions

UPFINN

I am looking for good info on how to properly use a bottle jack for lifting a axle on the m35a2.

I need to swap out a old tire with a new one on the front axle, and check brakes on the rears.

I have a 12 ton bottle jack with a max lift height of 18 1/2 inches and 6 ton jack stands. The basic issue bottle jack for the deuce had a lift height of 19 1/2 inches.

I have always used floor jacks for axles, or bottle jacks on the frame of a smaller car or truck. My question is, where is the best place to put the bottle jack on the 2.5 ton axles? My plan right now is to put the jack on a large block of wood for extra height, then position the jack under the mounts for the suspension, with a piece of wood between the jack head and the suspension/leaf spring mount. It seems to me that as the axle angle increases while jacking up one side, the bottle jack will slip out. Hopefully the block of wood between the jack and axle will "dig in" and secure it.

I have also seen some jack up an axle from the bottom of the differential. I would think this could cause damage.

There is also clearance issues with the jack stands. I would rather have the jack stands closer to the tire being removed, or outside of the suspension mounts, but instead will have to put the stands very close to the differential housing. I have the same issue with wood cribbing/blocks.

Also, for jacking up the middle axle, I will have to crawl under the truck where the spare tires goes to operate the jack. Is this safe? Of course the truck can't fall on me, but I imagine the jack or stand could slip and the truck could roll. I will use wheel chocks.

Are my methods correct/safe? I feel that there must be a TM for this I never knew about.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not to sound snide, but have you read the TMs for your truck?
The basic issue bottle jack for the deuce had a lift height of 19 1/2 inches.
Shoot, he knows more about the factory deuce jack than I do, so he must have read something.

I have a 12 ton bottle jack with a max lift height of 18 1/2 inches and 6 ton jack stands. The basic issue bottle jack for the deuce had a lift height of 19 1/2 inches.
Sounds good to me.

I have always used floor jacks for axles, or bottle jacks on the frame of a smaller car or truck. My question is, where is the best place to put the bottle jack on the 2.5 ton axles? My plan right now is to put the jack on a large block of wood for extra height, then position the jack under the mounts for the suspension, with a piece of wood between the jack head and the suspension/leaf spring mount. It seems to me that as the axle angle increases while jacking up one side, the bottle jack will slip out. Hopefully the block of wood between the jack and axle will "dig in" and secure it.
Center it under the axle tube (the square part) and leave room for your jackstand. If you aren't on concrete, a large board, 2x6, etc. is a good idea since the deuce is so heavy. Same goes for your jackstand. You're right about the angle, but the angle won't change enough to create a problem. Make sure the vehicle is on level ground-they don't like being jacked up on uneven surfaces. Don't put the jack on the dogbones. I put the jack under the axle tube, far enough inboard that I can still get a 6 ton jackstand (overkill) under the outer portion.
I have also seen some jack up an axle from the bottom of the differential. I would think this could cause damage.
Seen it done but I wouldn't do it. Why risk messing up the drain plug?

There is also clearance issues with the jack stands. I would rather have the jack stands closer to the tire being removed, or outside of the suspension mounts, but instead will have to put the stands very close to the differential housing. I have the same issue with wood cribbing/blocks.
Like I said, try to put your jackstands as far outboard as possible. The jack can be further inboard since it's temporary.

Also, for jacking up the middle axle, I will have to crawl under the truck where the spare tires goes to operate the jack. Is this safe? Of course the truck can't fall on me, but I imagine the jack or stand could slip and the truck could roll. I will use wheel chocks.
This is why you want a air-operated-hydraulic jack like this:

144879_700x700.jpg

This allows you to position it and get out from under the truck, raise it using the air and once it's up, slide under, get the jackstand into place and lower.

Are my methods correct/safe? I feel that there must be a TM for this I never knew about.
You're thought it through more than 75% of people do.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
If I see any one in my shop put a jack under a diff they will get fired on the spot! I have seen several diffs broke by jacking on them. On the U bolt or the U bolt plate it the only place I jack! Better to pou a 4x4 under the jack don't fully extend the jack will cause seals to leak. The jack Clinto posted is the same I use. Do not put wood on top of the jack this is dangerous the block of wood will split and the truck will fall!

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
BLOCK the wheels, do BOTH sides of the blocked wheel AND do more then one wheel, even on a flat surface the truck at time, wants to move a bit when jacking.

dmetalmiki

If I see any one in my shop put a jack under a diff they will get fired on the spot! I have seen several diffs broke by jacking on them. On the U bolt or the U bolt plate it the only place I jack! Better to pou a 4x4 under the jack don't fully extend the jack will cause seals to leak. The jack Clinto posted is the same I use. Do not put wood on top of the jack this is dangerous the block of wood will split and the truck will fall!

This is also where I allways jack the trucks, Any wood goes Under the jack. (or small I beam). Axle stands go under each axle beam.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...........................Do not put wood on top of the jack this is dangerous the block of wood will split and the truck will fall!
That is good advice and I agree; a piece of grown wood may split - with possibly bad consequences...!
But let me add this: Absolutely YES: something like a piece of clean carton board should always be used there - to prevent any slippage!

A bottle jack pressing against bare steel - or even worse if oily, or painted - is risky business!

G.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
That is good advice and I agree; a piece of grown wood may split - with possibly bad consequences...!
But let me add this: Absolutely YES: something like a piece of clean carton board should always be used there - to prevent any slippage!

A bottle jack pressing against bare steel - or even worse if oily, or painted - is risky business!

G.
Wrong! Nothing goes on top of the jack! that is why the top of the jack is serrated. 20 years and I have never had a jack slip.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the same air jack as Clinto , got it through Northern , plus I picked up a Tire Dolly at the same time . I use a Bunch of Harbor Freight's best 6 ton jack stands . When I jack up the Deuce I use 2 4x4's under the air jack and a sheet of 2x2 3/4" CDX plywood under the jack stands . Most important , jack on FLAT ground and don't forget to chock your tires .

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tigger... I can only say you are a lucky man!

They should have serrations there YES, and those should be kept clean and dry, YES.... but that's not always the case.

What I suggested works always and is idiot-proof, you may believe it or not...

G.

dezert ratt

I put the bottle jack on the drain plug in the center of the axle on my 5 ton, then put a 12 ton jackstand on each side of the axle where they can sit flat on the square axle tube.
It's easier on these heavy trucks to jack up each axle evenly and have both tires off the ground.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Tigger... I can only say you are a lucky man!

They should have serrations there YES, and those should be kept clean and dry, YES.... but that's not always the case.

What I suggested works always and is idiot-proof, you may believe it or not...

G.
I don't know what jacks they have in your country but I have worked on trucks and cars since I was 14 and I have never seen a jack without serrations on top of it . Im not lucky , im just not stupid! I do this for a living every day and I have never had a jack slip. if it is done correctly it will not slip,!

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
I put the bottle jack on the drain plug in the center of the axle on my 5 ton, then put a 12 ton jackstand on each side of the axle where they can sit flat on the square axle tube.
It's easier on these heavy trucks to jack up each axle evenly and have both tires off the ground.
Your gona punch a hole in your rearend. I have seen it many times. I have fired guys for doing it!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... if it is done correctly it will not slip,!
I think we can both agree on that... :)

It's also not a bad idea to have a piece of rubber to put between the jack and the axle to help prevent slipping.
Avoid rubber, we are talking about tons per square inch here. Use dry carton board; that will not tend to squeeze out! Also carton will "absorb" anything that would act as lubricant - like paint for example...!

G.

DodgerRoger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second the notion to use the wood under the jack, the use of many wheel chocks in both directions, I have seen them save lives. Useing wood under the jackstands is also a good idea as they have a relatively small contact area and will sink in dirt, or even blacktop over time. I have seen many truck rearends torn up by jacking the center of the differential up. Mostly with an air jack used as it will pulse quickly on the way up acting like a jack hammer. One more thing to watch out for is that you dont have any tools or phones or anything on the first rear tire you jack up as most of the time it will jerk as it clears the ground to relieve the bind in the driveline. Mine does this pretty badly as I have to turn as sharp as the truck will turn about 60 feet before its parking spot.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you only need to remove a outside back wheel, you can use a block of wood. Run the inside tire upon the block and it will raise the outside tire off the ground where you can remove it. It's always best to use a proper jack and jack stands or cribbing but if you're out in the boonies and need to get one off this will work.

I have used a floor jack with a big foot on the diff. of a pickup but there's no way I'd want to use a bottle jack on the diff. on something as heavy as a deuce.

dezert ratt

I'm pretty sure I looked in the tm and the center of the diff is a lift point on a Rockwell axle. Don't quote me on it, I cannot access the tm's on my cell phone and do not have a computer handy.

TMNT

I'm pretty sure I looked in the tm and the center of the diff is a lift point on a Rockwell axle. Don't quote me on it, I cannot access the tm's on my cell phone and do not have a computer handy.
I'm pretty sure I've seen that too. I'm looking for it now, but the first thing I found was this in the 9-2320-209-10-4:

Capture.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks