• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Jack Safety Questions

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't know about the rest of you, but I really hate how it seems the only jack stands I can find have curved saddles (n) I think I'm going to turn the jack stands 90 degrees even though it won't be the most optimal leg position for them.
So just fishing for ideas here, but I wonder if a piece of wood between the stand (steel) and the axle (steel) would be a way to "better support" the truck? Somehow it just feels like more than those two little "ears" need to be supporting that vehicle...

HDN

So just fishing for ideas here, but I wonder if a piece of wood between the stand (steel) and the axle (steel) would be a way to "better support" the truck? Somehow it just feels like more than those two little "ears" need to be supporting that vehicle...
I've seen that suggested at a Jeep forum, but that doesn't strike me as very safe with the possibility of the wood giving out in an unpredictable fashion. Most folks there didn't think that was a good idea either.

The way it's sitting right now, I don't think it's going to budge. But I'd rather have the jack stand applied correctly than this! The load sitting on the tips doesn't bother me so much as these are rated for 6 tons anyway, and they're going to be supporting only around 1.5 tons each at the most with my deuce. I'm more concerned about stability. Though the wheel chocks on the back wheels should help with that. I also don't want my truck vibrating off the stand when I start it to air up the front tires! Though I think that's averted here...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've seen that suggested at a Jeep forum, but that doesn't strike me as very safe with the possibility of the wood giving out in an unpredictable fashion. Most folks there didn't think that was a good idea either.

The way it's sitting right now, I don't think it's going to budge. But I'd rather have the jack stand applied correctly than this! The load sitting on the tips doesn't bother me so much as these are rated for 6 tons anyway, and they're going to be supporting only around 1.5 tons each at the most with my deuce. I'm more concerned about stability. Though the wheel chocks on the back wheels should help with that. I also don't want my truck vibrating off the stand when I start it to air up the front tires! Though I think that's averted here...
Agreed. Maybe I didn't say it quite right.
I had thoughts of a piece of plywood (not OSB, real plywood) that would crush to conform.

Maybe and maybe not.

It just bothers be a lot when that "ear" on the jackstand is supporting the weight.
If that ear popped off, it wouldn't be pretty.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Any suggestion on where to get actual 6 ton jack stands?

Most of the local stores seem to have '6 ton' jack stands, but they're actually 3 ton jack stands as a pair.
Northern Tool has what they call "22 Ton Jackstands".
They also seem to have several other heavier duty pieces as well.

In my humble opinon:
Whatever IDIOT started describing a set of two stands at its combined weight should be taken out back and shot.

HDN

Any suggestion on where to get actual 6 ton jack stands?

Most of the local stores seem to have '6 ton' jack stands, but they're actually 3 ton jack stands as a pair.
I got a pair of Pro Lift 6-ton jack stands off Amazon for about $45. They can be set to be tall enough to reach and hold the front axle with 395s mounted. The thing that annoyed me about them at first about them is the curved saddle top. I found that they will hold up one side of the front axle if you turn the jack stand sideways and rest the axle on the tips of the saddle. I was a little unsettled about this at first, but it worked, and I was able to run the truck for air without stability issues.

Those 6-ton stands I found to be too tall to support the rear axles, so I'm using 3-ton stands. My middle axle is supported by them right now, one on either side. This is perfectly fine since each rear axle supports 4000 lbs empty, or about 2000 lbs per wheel. This is well within a 3-ton stand's capacity.

That's pretty misleading for stores to list stuff like that. I recently had that issue with silicone grease with Lowe's saying it was petroleum-based in its description. A call to the manufacturer reassured me that Lowe's was wrong.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I got a pair of Pro Lift 6-ton jack stands off Amazon for about $45. They can be set to be tall enough to reach and hold the front axle with 395s mounted. The thing that annoyed me about them at first about them is the curved saddle top. I found that they will hold up one side of the front axle if you turn the jack stand sideways and rest the axle on the tips of the saddle. I was a little unsettled about this at first, but it worked, and I was able to run the truck for air without stability issues.

Those 6-ton stands I found to be too tall to support the rear axles, so I'm using 3-ton stands. My middle axle is supported by them right now, one on either side. This is perfectly fine since each rear axle supports 4000 lbs empty, or about 2000 lbs per wheel. This is well within a 3-ton stand's capacity.

That's pretty misleading for stores to list stuff like that. I recently had that issue with silicone grease with Lowe's saying it was petroleum-based in its description. A call to the manufacturer reassured me that Lowe's was wrong.
In very few cases one must run the truck with it on stands.
Attach a little compressor to the right rear gladhand. It is mo quiet and safer that way.
Change some fittings put a tee back there.

Reactions: HDN

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always used really good jack stands with OAK between truck and teeth
on stand. I also always cribbed it up with Oak. I am still here.
Basic pine 4x4's are rated for 12 tons when used in a box crib. As an individual stack, (generally no more than 2 high) 3 tons.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Northern Tool has what they call "22 Ton Jackstands".
They also seem to have several other heavier duty pieces as well.

In my humble opinon:
Whatever IDIOT started describing a set of two stands at its combined weight should be taken out back and shot.
NAPA has them, and places like Auto Zone or other automotive parts places should have them. Or you can use 4x4 box cribbing. You might be able to get 2' pieces of 4x4's from a company that installs decks as scrap pieces.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should also add that box crib weigh capacities are based on having a solid layer of 4x4's on the top, with the weight evenly distributed across all the 4x4's for maximum weight capacity. If the weight is just on one 4x4 in the stack, it will not hold the maximum weight. The weight has to be transferred to the ground through the 4 corners where the 4x4's overlap. Cribbing can be in a square, diamond, or trapezoid shaper as long as the cribbing is symmetrical and neat.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I should also add that box crib weigh capacities are based on having a solid layer of 4x4's on the top, with the weight evenly distributed across all the 4x4's for maximum weight capacity. If the weight is just on one 4x4 in the stack, it will not hold the maximum weight. The weight has to be transferred to the ground through the 4 corners where the 4x4's overlap. Cribbing can be in a square, diamond, or trapezoid shaper as long as the cribbing is symmetrical and neat.
Ever seen the Joe Dope US Army Training Films ? I specifically remember watching Joe Dope crib a Deuce with a stack of boards. Not nice and neat in a square. In a tall stack 1 wide and maybe 6 high under the middle of the axle. And off camera you could hear him scream. The front of the truck would bounce and a couple of Medics would carry him off on a stretcher.

That film repeated that "proper cribbing" instruction over and over. And Joe would get hauled away.
Definitely Rinse, Lather, Repeat!

It was way back when in JROTC. Back in the stone age. Back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth...

But it stuck. I still remember proper cribbing for sure!

Joe Dope.jpg

Happened to find the cartoon above just for grins...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks