• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce leak

kc8sfq

Howdy y'all:
It's been a bit of an adventure getting here. First, someone else had the audacity to already have my favorite username. Then we had a problem with cookies (I prefer chocolate chip). Anyway, the fine moderator here got me squared away and It looks like I can post now.

First: I've been reading here for a while. and have already found some treasures of wisdom. Now that I can post, I hope to contribute some treasures of my own.

Second: I have a fair bit of experience with M-37s (I've put over 80K on mine) and a bit of experience with M-35 series duces and M-274 mules. If I can help with those, I'd be glad to. I'm located in southern Mich. and can probably be of some help with road trip rescues. At some time, I'll figure out how to post myself on the map, but that's a project for another day.

Now to the reason for this long winded introduction:
My duce, actually an M-292 expando, is pumping engine oil from the injector pump area. Is this a common problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have determined that the 40 year old lube oil hose is still holding pressure, up to 80 PSI. I have not yet pulled the elbow fittings to test those. I expect however, that the likely-hood of a cracked fitting is probably lower than a leaking seal in the 40 year old pump. i'm not looking forward to pulling the pump. Actually, pulling it is the easy part. Getting it back on (with the right timing) is the scarry part. If I have to do that, I expect to have to pull the sheet metal on the whole front corner.

Thanks in advance: KC8SFQ

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Duce leak

When do we get to see pics of your Deuce? We like pics! :D

nopics

Oh, and welcome to SS! :beer:

kc8sfq

<Hope>

About a gallon in 200 miles. The last time I road tripped the truck (8 years ago) there was a ring of dripped oil on the ground under the spare tire when I stopped at a break.

I'll try to get pix, but about all you'll see is the junk that has incroached upon the truck while I've stored it. I hope to get it running for the Camp Grayling fall color tour. There's no gain to digging it out before I can be reasonably assured that It'll start, stop and not be a polution hazard, Aside from the smoke we all know about from a LD465 non turbo engine. The last time I fired it up, it cranked less than four revs before it started. It had been more than 5 years since I last fired it up. 60PSI oil pressure in less than 15 seconds. You gotta love that. It has 14 K on it and I can account for half of that myself. It had 7016 miles the day I picked it up. A buddy and I did a THOROUGH PMCS, then fired her up and drove the 700 miles home from Va. What an adventure. I am looking forward to running this monster again. What a cool camper this is going to be. Ironically, it was accepted by the Army in the same month of 1967 as I was.

Rattlehead

RON!! Is that you? It's about time you joined!

Hope you figure out that leak for Grayling, that expando van is the ultimate camper (wishing I had more space!) But to think I had troubles maneuvering some of the trails, you got another 3' of wheelbase! We will definitely have to split up our trail rides by smaller vehicles or 2.5 - 5 tonners again.

kc8sfq

<if you don't have a heater i would pull the fender and radiator.>
I DO have a heater, but if I have to pull the rad, the heater is a small thing since she'll be dry anyway.

<RON!! Is that you? It's about time you joined! >

Yup... That's me. I had a bit of trouble getting all my little duckies in a row to be able to post. I've been reading here most days, for a while though.

acetomatoco

With a heater you have two hose clamps, one wire, and two ventilation hose clamps and maybe two bracket screws to contend with...still beats working around the fender

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
there really aren't that many places oil can leak, most likely is shut off cover, plug in rear cover and there is a plug on the bottom of the gov housing about in line with the throttle shaft.

derby

I had a leak at the injector pump.It turned out that the flair inside the hose was cracked.(The hose from the engine block to the pump)

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
ron, you do realize there are 2 hoses, right?? other than the above mentioned there is a cover on the inside bottom of the center section on a 45 angle with 2 bolts, but it is wired and i doubt it would ever start leaking. just not much to leak. shutoff cover has a gasket and plenty of oil behind it but i bet you have a bad hose.........

jblack6527

I realize this is digging up an old thread, but my truck has a leak in the same place. I pulled the hoses off one day, and cleaned them up and put them back with a little teflon tape, it seemed to help, but now they are leaking worse than to start with. Is there anything special about them? High pressure, or a special thread/flare on the nuts?