• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce leaking oil from base of filter

dabtl

Just curious, who is builder 77 for the oil filter kit? I got the price on the kit from John Tennis. Looks like a really great job, but cost is a bit high. How much cheaper are the spin on filters compared to the stock military ones from napa? It could take a long time to pay off the conversion kit?

You might find engine replacement more expensive than filters one day. Just a thought. That is why I also got the odiron coolant filter kit.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
builder77 - he's a member here..
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=profile&mode=viewprofile&u=2368

I am not concerned about the price of the filters. I am concerned about putting better filters on so the engine might last longer. Most any modern design filters are better than the stock ones.

No matter which, the price for something like that will seem high because It' s all custom made stuff. IIRC the costs were similar. After seeing my nasty coolant at Memphis Equipment a few weeks ago, O.D.Iron's Coolant filter is on the list of things to do.

dabtl

The coolant filter kit is an easy task. Be cautious to mount it to the body below the level of the top tank and with enough room to remove it when the time comes. There is a brace for the radiator that must be taken into account for servicing, although that is supposed to be at 50,000 miles, but I anticipate a change in the next few months as there was a lot of silt in my system.

You can visit your auto supply house and get a coil of 5/8 internal diameter hose, some pipe thread dope and one 3/4 to 1/2 adapter for the water pump housing connection in addition to the kit.

I found the square headed plugs on the engine and water pump housing were easily removed using 8 point sockets.

You will like the finished set up.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are concerned about filterning the oil, go with a bypass filter system. It won't effect the normal operation of the engine and will allow the oil to be heated in the pan when the temp drops (the reason for the upside down filter canisters). Bypass filters are avialble for very fine filtering, down to 5 micron and will filter all the oil , even if it is only a little at a time.

If you are concerned about "dry starts", install a pre lube system.

I like my original canisters, easy, no mess change and easy to inspect the filter elements. The filter elements can be inspected and reinstalled without loss of oil.

alphadeltaromeo

Agreed with Bjorn here. I purchased the spin-ons that will give me good pressure time and a bit better filtration, but will go with an FS2500 or Amsoil bypass system (agreement with the bypass system). I believe they filter down to just over 2 micron though from what I've read. I think that with the oils we have today, a few seconds of no pressure is perfectly fine, as they will stick to the parts better than the older oil products years back. I don't think that dry starts are all together accurate with the new oils...will the parts be soaked, no, but they surely will have oil "sticking" to them and that should be fine...as long as the pressure time isn't 15 seconds.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
The price in my mind is rather cheap for the filter adapters, but that is because I have been one of those building them. I don't know how others are making them, but the ones I am make are done on a manual lathe and mill in batches. Also the price of billet aluminum of that diameter is not cheap either, and at least in my sets I include evertying needed including the filters. I don't really push selling them though, because it is always more fun to make new and interesting things. Right now my focus has been house work anyways though.

One thing I should point out is that the filter adapter "hockey puck" has been around for longer then I have I suspect. People here just decided to custom make an adapter for the deuce.

I ended up having to make my own gaskets for the top bolt when they started to leak. All the auto parts stores carry bulk gasket material. Bring in one of the original gaskets so the parts guy can match it up as best as they can. You can use an exacto knife to cut out the new ones using the olds ones as a guide. I get cleaner cut gaskets from a set of gasket punches though.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just returned from the local farm equipment parts yard. I went to the core engine row and got one of the complete cast oil filter housings for the spin-on filters off a White 2-155 motor and a set of the adapters to adapt the canister filters like on our trucks to the spin-on filters off a White 2-135 engine. Both tractors use the same engine we have in our trucks. The whole deal cost me $65.00. If you know of a parts yard near you, check it out. Much cheaper than the adapter sets for 200 dollars! You can also find the company Worthington Ag Parts on internet. They are a good nation-wide source.
The adapter set is the pressed steel type, which someone maligned as not being strong enough to seal the oil properly. I agree they do not look like bullet stoppers, but they had been used on this engine dependably for years, which is testimony enough for me to use them. They were sealed to the large housing gasket with a good bonding type gasket glue.
Regards Marti Sacks

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
M543A2 you are lucky in finding that filter base adapter set. I think I have only read of maybe three people finding them on this site. I originally looked myself for months with no luck. If you still have them apart some pics of the parts would be interesting.

jatonka

I think the payback comes from 2 points not related to the dollar cost of spin-on adaptor set ups. First, your engine will develope oil pressure much faster with anti drain back filters which means you are running your motor with a pressurized film of oil between metal parts from the git go. Second, many of us have postponed oil changes because of the headache with leaky oil filter cannisters. I am one of this group. It is no sweat changing oil with my adaptors. If I could sell them cheaper and have it be worth my while, I surely would, I understand that hobby money is not that easy to set aside, and I work pretty hard for my money too. Doing the best I can, John Tennis

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Builder77:
Hello! I will get some pictures for you. I was going to machine up some until I found these. The guys at Worthington can search parts nationwide from their other locations across America. If one calls them with a request, they will initiate a search and then have the parts shipped to you or their closest location to you. They even took the parts off for that price. The 2-135 and 2-155 tractors are not that hard to find. I know several farmers around here that have them. The low end torque and good power curve of the engine is really great in a tractor. A friend of mine bought an Allis Chalmers and the White at the same time, both tractors advertised with comparable power. He soon found out the White was much better at pulling heavy loads. He could just idle it down before lifting the chisel plow to make turns, lower the chisel plow, and throttle back up. The Allis would pull down and die if he did not drop a gear before doing the same. White is now part of the AGCO conglomerate. I checked with them, but the adapters are not sold anymore, obsolete part number. I recognize the amount of time it takes to machine things like this, especially threading the hollow bolt on both ends, and felt lucky to walk in and find the housing and adapters. I didn't really have loose change at tax time, but I thought I better grab them while I could!
Regards Marti Sacks

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Builder 77 and all:
I can make detailed drawings of the stamped adapter part and the hollow bolts if anyone wants them before I put these on my M543A2. If not machined from bar stock, these would have to be formed in a two or three stage punch press die.
Regards Marti Sacks

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great find Marti, that's a sellable item, say, less than $10 for an adapter.....could be kept as an alterenate if the correct filter elements couldn't be found easily.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks