• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce-less again...it's this time of the year

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My timing is quite good this year! Put Queen Lola into storage yesterday, and today the white stuff happened:
I will miss her until May!! She has seen road salt only one time and I 'm not starting her on it now!

Storage is in a heated, locked former factory; reasonable price and I can even work on her, if needed. Do you notice how the truck tries to be a non-existent black hole in the picture? You could almost miss it. Camo even works indoors.

Attachments

Last edited:

91W350

My 68 deuce is pretty rough and has some rust. I plan to driver her all winter. The 71 will get a break when they treat the roadways. Glen

augiedoggy

I like the lone little suv on the top floor of the parking garage in the second pic. Caption: "I hope nobody parks next to me"

Nice place to park yur deuce too![thumbzup]

Akicita

I use my truck as needed year-round. Luckily, I don't have to use it often when we have snow on the ground. Here in Southeastern Pennsylvania, the salt trucks are busy every year as soon as, and sometimes even before the first flake hits the ground. I wrap a plastic tarp around the winch and keep it there with a bungee cord. That way, the cable is protected from whatever the driver in front of me kicks up. Other than that, I ride her unprotected. I bought bows and tarp earlier in the year so that the back of the Deuce is no longer turning into a snow storage space when it's cold, and a lake when temps. climb above freezing.
I don't like driving in snow. She does alright in high pulvery snow but once the roads have been plowed they get might slippery with my NDTs. I don't use chains and in fact don't have chains 'cause we don't get enough snow to warrant the expense considering I use her so little during the winter months.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm curious how many people actually drive their Deuces on winter roads. By that I mean plowed and salted roads, not the nice scenic salt-less excursions into the back 40 acres.

Ontario, Canada is salt-**** for vehicles. I work on my family's vehicles and what the salt environment does to them after a few months and years is atrocious. You do not see old cars in any number here on the roads. Anything over 10 years old is practically gone.

My dream is to have a brand new car and never have it exposed to salt...have bolts that continue to actually turn instead of rusting solid and snapping off, sheet metal that does not burn through with rust holes...oh, what bliss!

My Deuce is **almost** like that. Queen Lola has a little sprinkle of surface rust here and there, that's it. I do not want to make it any worse. I just can't justify the consequences of bathing her in salt (or the even worse liquid spray form of ice preventer).

Flyingvan911

I only drive my deuce in the snow when we get some heavy snow. That's only a couple of times a year. I try to keep it away from the salt otherwise. When I do drive in the snow I wash it down really well as soon as the roads dry up. I hate rust and I hare salt. I know it's nessecary but it is very destructive and it gets everywhere.

Blood_of_Tyrants

My dream is to have a brand new car and never have it exposed to salt...have bolts that continue to actually turn instead of rusting solid and snapping off, sheet metal that does not burn through with rust holes...oh, what bliss!

My Deuce is **almost** like that. Queen Lola has a little sprinkle of surface rust here and there, that's it. I do not want to make it any worse. I just can't justify the consequences of bathing her in salt (or the even worse liquid spray form of ice preventer).
Then you cannot remain in Canada, my friend. You need to move south by about 1000 miles at least.