• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce lockout hubs

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
yep, it allows the axle shafts, differential, and front drive shaft to be still. less resistance rolling down the road. a truck w/ them should also require less steering effort.

lockouts on a sprag equipped truck would not be as effective because the sprag would "think" the rears are slipping all the time and constantly be engaged.

randyscycle

The biggest advantage is a little less rolling resistance.

I haven't done them on my deuce, but when I did them on my M715, it was like driving without the emergency brake applied. It freed the truck up a lot, just from not backdriving the axles, differential and front driveshaft into the transfer case.

joec

In a nutshell.....No spinning frt rear and Free's up some more millage . Some guys have stated 14+miles to the gallon.

70deuce

Mine steers much easier unlocked. No axle wrap. Mine gets 11 plus mpg. Thinking of pulling one rear axle shafts and use the front cap I pulled for the front hubs on that axle.

randyscycle

dont buy the selectros if you plan on going near water. i think i drove in a rainstorm once and my bearings got wet lol

I'm running Selectros on my M715 and its been immersed in mud and water over the front hubs with no problems. Are your cap o-rings torn? Its really easy to do that when installing the cap/selector knob. Also, are they sealed well where they mount to the hub?

OD_Coyote

I have been running Seletros on my M35 for a couple of years now and my bearings looked fine when I repacked them this past summer.
I have not run my truck through any deep water, but I live on the West side of the Cascades in Washington State where is rains for 13 months out of the year:p

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Mine steers much easier unlocked. No axle wrap. Mine gets 11 plus mpg. Thinking of pulling one rear axle shafts and use the front cap I pulled for the front hubs on that axle.

I was thinking of doing the same, but which would work better? Pulling the rear axle shafts and capping them or removing the drive shaft between the 2nd and 3rd axle. Have any of you out there done either of these?

jatonka

about 6 years ago I installed lockout hubs on the front of my M109A3 shop van, and removed the interaxle driveshaft between front rear and rear rear. My fuel economy improved, it steers easier, it does not wear out front tires as fast as it used to The draw back is, it got stuck as soon as I drove off hard pavement and I would have to get out and lock the hubs, engage the front axle and drive on.
This year, I prepared the truck for our coast to coast Rt. 20 convoy. I put the interaxle driveshaft back in. I pulled the 2 axles out of the forward rear axle, installed 2 front axle drive flange covers, and found out that the people on here that said it would work better were ABSOLUTELY correct. I never got into trouble any where in 7000 miles except starting up Maccus' road, which, if you have seen it won't surprise you much.
So, short and sweet: disable the forward rear, you will get all the benefits and better drivability. JT out

dabtl

I put the jatonka/AVM lockouts on the front and on the driver side front rear axle. I used a Off Road Fab Works dual spline axle. It is much easier to steer and the mileage improved.

I will do the same to my second deuce next month.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
I'm running Selectros on my M715 and its been immersed in mud and water over the front hubs with no problems. Are your cap o-rings torn? Its really easy to do that when installing the cap/selector knob. Also, are they sealed well where they mount to the hub?
my orings are brand new. i have replaced them a few times just thinkin i may have gotten a bad oring or somthing. i even put a little grease on them when i put the cap back on so resistance wouldnt tear the orings. i have done hub seals numerous times and i run one piece neoprene boots. selectros destroyed my bearings. i wanna go out and smash them with a hammer

MikeON

I'd like to do the same thing - hubs on both front wheels and one wheel of the middle axle. Does anyone offer a kit of 3 hubs plus the dual spline axle?

I put the jatonka/AVM lockouts on the front and on the driver side front rear axle. I used a Off Road Fab Works dual spline axle. It is much easier to steer and the mileage improved.

I will do the same to my second deuce next month.

dabtl

I think Ouverson Engineering has all three items. I wanted the jatonka hubs because of my conversations with John Tennis and his innovative products for the deuce. We do not buy, he does not have the incentive to come with more, so to speak.

You can figure a cost of perhaps $1,000 to do the front and middle axle, that includes shipping.

I have been pleased with the jatonka/AVM lock outs and the Off Road Fab Works axle that I purchased. No problems in over a year.

Jake0147

I pulled the 2 axles out of the forward rear

I know it contradicts several other very respected members here, but I would agree, I also like the way it acts much better with the rear rear driving.

Question:
Why both axle shafts? Just because, or is there a mechanical reason that I am overlooking?

jatonka

I pulled both axle shafts because I had 2 flange covers and I like symmetry. Also, if you leave 1 axle in, doesn't that let the spider gears work against eachother some as you are going down the road. I feel OK with pulling both axles and letting the power run straight through the forward rear to the rear rear. JT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks