• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce lost idle

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had this deuce over 14 years and it's always just ran as long as it had good batteries and fuel. Run all diesel, very rarely a few quarts of oil (new) if I need to get rid of it. It was fairly active until 2020 when we left SoCal for Nevada. It hauled a full load here and ran great. I did a local parade with it and I took it to the SoCal, not Dirtbag, meet up in Barstow over a year ago, pulling my Jeep without issue. Then it sat for about a year, only starting occasionally. I did a parade with it for Halloween and then again Vets Day without issue. Last night we drove it 70 miles down to Vegas to do the lap around the speedway checking out the lights. Ran fine all the way there, but when I took my exit and let off the throttle, it died. Started right up with no issue and I drove 3 more miles to the meet up spot. It died again when I let off the throttle in the parking lot. Started it right back up and let it idle for 20 minutes while waiting for everyone else. It then made the lap around the Speedway no problem, even stopping to wait behind cars when traffic built up. Back at the parking lot to drop off pax it died again. Started up and it ran great all the way home, but when we hit town, it would no longer idle without using the throttle.

I've checked the fuel shut off plunger and it's clean and goes in all the way. I pulled the cover off and everything in there moves freely. I changed all three filters, filling one secondary fi;ter about half full of Seafoam. I added some diesel additive. I pulled the in tank pump, checked the screen and hose. All looks good. As a bandaid to get me through Thursday's Christmas parade I loosened the jam nut and cranked down the idle screw. A lot. It will now idle at 950, but if you blip the throttle open and let off quick, it won't recover and dies. Hopefully I can nurse it through the parade without it dying and embarrassing my grand daughter and her class.

Any suggestions? I have a complete spare motor that I got from the famous 100DollarMan back in the day, that is supposed to be a runner, so I could rob parts from it. Any ideas, suggestions, tips, thoughts, prayers would be appreciated.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at this pic, I'm still missing a part. I need to look under that cover again.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the broken parts, but I don't think I have the right o ring. It was dripping fuel pretty good with the cover off. Now the big issue is it doesn't want to idle below 950. If you adjust it down to around 800, it either creeps up on it's own or doesn't recover when you let off the throttle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks