• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Lug Wrench

rustystud

002.jpg004.jpg014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg020.jpg021.jpg

Here's another "consumer awareness report" . I have an original military "Ken Tool" Lug Wrench for my deuce, but since I always like to have a back-up I decided to buy another one. The problem came when I bought this tool from a business on eBay. They have sold a lot of these wrenches saying their "NOS" . They are in truth "NOS" just not military "NOS". They are more then likely made in China since there is no markings or numbers at all on this tool. There are some major differences from the original military ones too. Some actually good, some not so good.
The bad ones are 1) The tube material is not as thick as the Ken-Tool. 2) The gear shaft is a cast item including the gear itself. One complete casting, then machined. The Ken-Tool is made from solid steel machined down and then assembled together. The gear is welded to the shaft on the Ken-Tool. 3)The Base on the Ken-Tool is a solid piece of steel that is welded to the tube, while the other one is a cast item that is welded to the tube. This brings up the good aspect of this tool. The cast base on the other tool has a built in covering of the small gear which helps prevent you from crushing you hand or fingers in the gears. See picture 1 . The second good thing is also a bad thing in that the clearance in the copy is 1/8" , see picture 2. This is a bad thing but it allows us to use a bushing there, a good thing ! I found a bushing at McMaster-Carr that is an exact fit ! I only had to file the weld in the inner tube (see picture 3) to allow the bushing to go in. Now the gear shaft rides on an "Oil-Lite"
023.jpg bushing which will give it a longer service life then I or my son will ever need. So since I payed about half the price of a original "Ken-Tool" and only $20.00 for the bushing I'm thinking this is not a half bad investment.

SignalNco

Nice write up on this tool. Thanks for the heads up and the easy mod for those that have bought this tool or those wanting a more affordable option to the Ken-tool.

Dieselnatalie

Reminds me of a chap in the workshop a few years back who would pick up a tool and remark "Ah, another one made by Drop Forged; they seem to make lots of stuff........" He was the same guy who, during a discussion on a tv programme with lots of stunt car crashes remarked "They don't have brakes in America".

Hainebd

Thank you. This type of info is priceless. Although, I purchased a torque multiplier from eBay also made in China. It works and is well made. I wish the US could manufacter again. It is the cost of debt to China.

rustystud

Thank you. This type of info is priceless. Although, I purchased a torque multiplier from eBay also made in China. It works and is well made. I wish the US could manufacter again. It is the cost of debt to China.
First off, thanks for all the nice comments. Second, I have bought a lot of tools made in China and I have found out that if you take them completely apart you will be able to upgrade them quite easily. Usually you will need to clean them up first. File off burrs and overcast material. Then adding bushings or bearings to places that they didn't install them. I have a drill press that is over 20 years old now that I just added some bushings to it where they had it running on metal to metal and filed off a lot of overcast material that was in the way. It's almost like they are making a tool when the buyer says make them cheaper so they leave out bushings or bearings ! Also not shimming parts correctly is another problem I've seen.