• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce lurches with clutch engagement

glj

Banned
Transfer case recently rebuilt. Subsequently, with clutch engagement or disengagement (don't recall which; it only happened 3 times) there occured a "whirring" sound, as though a bearing race broke free and was spinning with the bearing. But this only happened 3 times and I don't really know the mechanism of the noise. But here is the issue: Now, while in reverse and with normal clutch action (that is, releasing the pedal as you normally do) the deuce is "thrown" backward with incredible force. In 1st gear forward it jumps and bumps as it eventually smooths out. Clutch pedal free play is normal specs. Experimentation shows that when on a very slight incline, in neutral transmission gear, I will allow the deuce to start rolling backward while the clutch pedal is depressed; but if I release the pedal the truck will hop and bounce to a halt. Recall that this is while in transmission neutral. I don't know if the rearward lurch and the bounce with pedal release in first gear are related to the second observation above, and regardless of any relationship I don't know what is going on to cause these problems. If I release the clutch pedal (engage the clutch) extremely slowly there is still a point where the truck will lurch rearward or begin to bounce forward in 1st gear. I hope this is not related to the recent transfer case rebuild. It seems to me that it is clutch related, but why the bouncy stop with clutch engagement (pedal release) in transmission neutral gear while gently coasting backward. (I'm not concerned about the latter because that is something we normally do; we don't. It is only mentioned because I think it might relate to the jump starts.) ANY IDEAS?

THANK YOU,

Gary

glcaines

Has the transmission cover been removed? I'm thinking of the possibility that the shift forks were misaligned when the cover was reinstalled.

glj

Banned
Interim Answers

Thanks to all, so far. Now please know I am a Private. That being said, if an air shift t-case means that you have a horizontal switch on the dash that engages/disengages power to the front axle, then I have an air shift unit, and not a sprag (sprage, sprague). Therefore, it would not seem to be a problem with adjustment (of a sprag, anyway). To my knowledge nobody has removed the cover to the transfer case. Certainly not just prior to the onset of described problems. With the t-case rebuild (done by one experienced and competent in the field) I did have the emergency brake pads replaced. I don't understand how that might be causal, however, as one would expect that the bumping as I coast backward and engage the clutch would also occur with the clutch depressed (if it was a sticky E brake). It is a good first thought for the quick launches, and I will check this out because the two principal observations described in my whine may be unrelated (but I do suspect they are related; I am talking about the quick launch forward and reverse, and the bumping when I engage the clutch while coasting backward in transmission neutral. I would be grateful if you could stick with me on this matter. Since it occurred after the T-case rebuild my main concern is whether it is a fault in the rebuild; or the clutch (a wet clutch or bad pressure plate?); or other. I live in Utah, but drove the rig to CA for a HS reunion and to pick up an M-105 trailer in Barstow. Thus, I am not able to take it back to my mechanic right away. I am retired and plan to remain in CA for some time. Any other thoughts you might have might be useful to my mechanic when I return.

Thanks again, to all,

Gary

glj

Banned
Also just in case it might be useful, I have Selectro manual hubs, and they are disengaged; and I have ASB air lockers in all 3 differentials, but they too are in the "off" position. New rubber insulators were installed with the TC rebuild, but I have not checked the motor mounts. I suppose this isn't really relavent info, but just thought I would add.

Gary

hoop

I would start with the E Brake and make sure it is all the way open and re-test. An

glj

Banned
Deuce Lurch

Alert, Alert,

It is working fine now. I was concerned it might be something bigger. But adjustment of the E brake, and working it in and out (exercising it) seems to have solved the problem. Or something solved it.

Thanks to everyone who helped with suggestions.

Gary:lol:

mikeroot2

Also just in case it might be useful, I have Selectro manual hubs, and they are disengaged; and I have ASB air lockers in all 3 differentials, but they too are in the "off" position. New rubber insulators were installed with the TC rebuild, but I have not checked the motor mounts. I suppose this isn't really relavent info, but just thought I would add.

Gary
It's probably the lockers and hubs. You should pull them all and send them to me before this problem rears it's ugly head again.:twisted: