• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce M35A3 Tires

CobraCDR

Looks like we are finally getting a few good leads on tires here, both the Michelin and the Continental. Now the question in the tire search is, for the proper bead with the stock A3 wheels, is what we are looking for in these (origional Michelin 14.5R20 XLs, the Conti. MPT-81s and the Michelin XZLs) or any other tire to make sure that they are an "MPT"?

jaymcb

The Michelin tires are OEM, so you KNOW they work......

From what I read on the conti site, they should also work.

The 395's seem to be much more of a grey area. The idea of over 4k for 6 tires makes my hair stand up on end. Gotta pay to play, I guess.

HFDm715

There was no freight, the tires cost 1850.00 total, I dont know how they got to Inter City's warehouse, but the tire service truck delivered them to the firehouse.

we bought these thru a commercial truck dealer, I gave them the stock number on the michelin site and that was it. No goverment/milttary only condition was asked by the dealer.

Duane

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like we are finally getting a few good leads on tires here, both the Michelin and the Continental. Now the question in the tire search is, for the proper bead with the stock A3 wheels, is what we are looking for in these (origional Michelin 14.5R20 XLs, the Conti. MPT-81s and the Michelin XZLs) or any other tire to make sure that they are an "MPT"?
Very simple: if you (or the dealer) can't find the "MPT" anywhere in their catalog description or on the tire's side wall it is 99.9% they aren't...!
If in doubt ask the seller for pics; not only showing those letters, (raised/ moulded), but also the DOT date of manufacturing!

G.

Rustygears

Elsewhere in this thread was posted a link to the conti catalog. You'll see without much effort that the spec for the conti mpt-81 indicates an MPT bead and a 10" wide rim. This is the A3 spec rim. I may be making a big assumption here but maybe continental tires named that particular model tire the MPT-81 in large part because it is an MPT style bead? Just an odd guess.

As indicated, the conti has a US NSN molded in as well as DOT registration and on- highway indication. It is the NATO substitute for the mich 14.5 R20 when bought in the 365/80 R20 size. The mich 14.5 R20 and conti MPT-81 are also used by NATO on the Mercedes Unimog. There's a lot more Unimogs in service throughout the world than A3's and as far as I know, that tire size and MPT rim is unique in US military vehicles to the A3.

Once I realized all this, I decided to leverage the 'mog sources for tires since there are so many more in service and the fact that it is a currently produced vehicle. Researching that line of reasoning yielded the conti MPT-81 and the fact hat it can be bought through standard conti distribution. I know they are in stock at conti's Riverside CA warehouse and can be drop shipped to any authorized conti tire dealer. This is why I could buy mine at list price for $300 cheaper than the Michelins that someone else in this thread paid for a special order Michelin that nobody can find anywhere.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rustygears: agreed to everything. Just one minor correction: Not 10 inches. Conti specifies 11"rim width for their 14.5R20 MPT80 and 11-12" for the little wider 365/80R20 MPT81.

As for these radials, I can speak from personal good experience.... and have said it before: this IS the ideal tire type by far and the best investment for our light duty Deuce (toy)trucks! Who needs heavy truck tires; extra-heavy, ultra-stiff, each with a load capacity of over 12,000 pounds! (15.5 XLs) and certainly not intended to run aired down for to long - when most of us use them for "play"... yes, most of the time with only a light load in the bed, but demanding good highway manners (for a non-highway vehicle!), as well as rolling with ease OVER every kind of terrain, including soft soil and loose sand...

Below, a "light duty"132J, 14.5 MPT80 new vs. the same after 50K miles, on mainly unpaved roads...! Well-spent money, IMHO...

G.

Attachments

HFDm715

This is why I could buy mine at list price for $300 cheaper than the Michelins that someone else in this thread paid for a special order Michelin that nobody can find anywhere.

I am thinking you dont agree with me buying the Michelins, but I didnt want to mismatch tires on the truck, and didnt want to play around seeing what would fit and what wouldnt. since it is a firetruck, and will spend the next 15+ years of its life in the woods fighting brush fires, I think the aggresive tread is needed, and Im not really worried about saving 300 dollars. in fact probably gonna put money aside for next year in my budget to change the other 4, since it will be kept inside with ac and heat, im thinking they wont crack for a long time. I was just letting everyone know that if they want to go with the Michelins, and dont want to buy old nos tires on GL, they are still available

Duane

Attachments

Rustygears

BTW: it's a savings of $300 a tire - that's 30% less. I think the conti has a more aggressive tread for off road bite.

To each their own. I just get tired ( no pun) of seeing folks installing the wrong bead tires on the A3 rim with only an inch or two clearance between tires. There's a reason they are spaced stock much farther apart.

Loco_Hosa

What is the largest tires you can put on the M35a2? Just buying one and it has the non directional tires.
Thanks for any help.
395s (46 inch tall) will fit and many members run them problem free on stock wheels.

Just as many will say that this is a horrible idea and that the 395s will hunt you down in your bed and eat your puppys :)

PS. I aught to quit drinking and posting...

jaymcb

Rustygears: agreed to everything. Just one minor correction: Not 10 inches. Conti specifies 11"rim width for their 14.5R20 MPT80 and 11-12" for the little wider 365/80R20 MPT81.

As for these radials, I can speak from personal good experience.... and have said it before: this IS the ideal tire type by far and the best investment for our light duty Deuce (toy)trucks! Who needs heavy truck tires; extra-heavy, ultra-stiff, each with a load capacity of over 12,000 pounds! (15.5 XLs) and certainly not intended to run aired down for to long - when most of us use them for "play"... yes, most of the time with only a light load in the bed, but demanding good highway manners (for a non-highway vehicle!), as well as rolling with ease OVER every kind of terrain, including soft soil and loose sand...

Below, a "light duty"132J, 14.5 MPT80 new vs. the same after 50K miles, on mainly unpaved roads...! Well-spent money, IMHO...

G.
Does Conti make the 395 - which will also take a little stress off keeping the cat3116 in my deuce at the posted 2700RPM redline to stay at 50MPH?

I fully expect more than 90% of my driving in my 109 will be ON the road. If you claim 50k miles of tread wear on your contis, and the Deuce TM for the Michelin claims 10k-ish (where I read, anyway), the Conti 395's seem like a best of both worlds. Highway manners, ~40% le$$ than Michelins, ease on drivetrain, with the drawbacks of the rim question and how close the 2 drive axles are together in the rear. Does that sound about right?

jaymcb

About 3 inches taller than the 395s and NO ! not only will the duals not fit, the 14.00 has the same bead problem, as discussed prior, they may seat in fine and work like the 395s, but the tall profile kills the deal !

Rough numbers are 14.5s : 43" tall, 395s : 47" tall, 14.00s : 49" tall

.http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/34107-tire-size-14-5r20-what-does-mean.html?highlight=14.5R20

Believe me when I say . . . .I WISH !

Jay
This math says to me that 2 x pi x r= circumference.

on 14.5's with 43 height, 43 /2 (radius) = 21.5 x 2 x 3.14 = 135 circumference
on 395's with 47 height, 47 /2 (radius) = 23.5 x 2 x3.14 = 147.5 circumference

dividing 147.5 by 135 = ~1.09, which is a 9% increase in the final drive.

Is this about right? So 50 indicated on the speedo would actually be about ~55 or so?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Is this about right? So 50 indicated on the speedo would actually be about ~55 or so?
Yes, theoretically...
From the tire specs given in the catalogs better use the revs-per-mile:

14.5R20 MPT80 = 490
365/80R20 MPT81 = 491
14.5R20 XL = 482

395/85R20 XZL = 446
395/85R20 XML = 448
15.5/80R20 XL = 448

Then with a simple rule of three:

50 mph x 491 / 448 = 54.8 mph

... but putting REAL WORLD tire diameters in the formula:

50 mph x 45.5" / 42.5" = 53.5 mph.

Probably its somewhere in between...:wink:

G.

BadMastard

Hey Joe?

I've got a spare wheel cylinder, if you want to take it off the axle it's on? And I think I might have a couple of tires, 9.00x20's for you. The sidewalls are better than yours, but they are a bit scalloped. Still seem pretty usable. Yours for the taking.

Jerry

RealCavDog

Just to clarify, I was answering a question, and the orange, "What does it mean", is a link to another thread !

But yes, your math is correct, and guess I missed the question about speed, but in agreement because I only want to turn 2500 RPM, and if I want to run 54/55, I will need the 46/47 inch tall tires! [thumbzup]

Loco_Hosa

Hey Joe?

I've got a spare wheel cylinder, if you want to take it off the axle it's on? And I think I might have a couple of tires, 9.00x20's for you. The sidewalls are better than yours, but they are a bit scalloped. Still seem pretty usable. Yours for the taking.

Jerry
Heck yes I would happily take them off your hands!

How much time do I have? I am booked for the next few weeks, but if there is a dead line I will shuffle things around!

CobraCDR

I want to thank everyone for what I think has finally addressed exactly what is needed to find a replacement tire with the correct bead for the A3s... the "MPT" designation (in the correct size of course). I'm sure the debate over Michelin and Continental will continue as well as the debate over changing to a larger size tire (395s, etc.) as are so many other personal choices on what each of us wants to do with our truck(s).

New tires are on the top of my list of projects when I get back to the U.S. and the help and information provided in this thread has been very beneficial. I don't want to put myself, my family and anyone else on the road at risk by having unsafe tires on my vehicle, in particular my steer axle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks