• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Modifications For Better Streetability

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea of the hub flip. My question is whether I should have four "flipped" hubs in addition to a standard (dual) set-up. I'm wondering how often I would switch back and forth, or if it's worth even the storage space for the wheels, tires, hubs,??? Flip 'em and leave 'em? ...or keep both set-ups? One last thing, removing the shaft between the rears sounds like a reasonable move. I realze the work re-installing. It creates another, "how often would I have to worry about this," question. I'm (technically) limited to 2500 miles per year, parades, events, enjoyment, per my historical vehicle plates agreement and current insurance policy. As usual, reading these answers a lot of questions, but man, does it ever create them as well!
...and I thought I was the only person that went to Iraq and said he was getting a deuce when he got home.

rmgill

Flipping involves pulling the brake drums and removing the hubs from the drums, then reattaching. You're servicing the bearings or at least replacing a touch of grease each time you do this. Flip the hubs and be done with it. Go with 1100 tires however for better load capacity. I think single 900s are a bit low on total weight capacity.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to pull the driveshaft. If you need to unlock the rear axles, pulling an axle shaft out does the same thing, and much easier to do. Just put a front drive flange on the hub to cover the hole. Better to pull an axle from the front tandem axle, the rearmost axle has better traction.

I understand how it works, but lack the ability to put it in words. Maybe someone else can come up with a better explanation.

If you search, this has been covered before.

Dennis

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Oifvet, where in Ohio? We might have a gathering coming up around the 21st. I did what stretch was talking about. I surprised me how much I need to kick in the front axle. If you take the tandem drive shaft out, it is much more involved to get it back in than the axle.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpyrobb said:
Oifvet, where in Ohio? We might have a gathering coming up around the 21st. I did what stretch was talking about. I surprised me how much I need to kick in the front axle. If you take the tandem drive shaft out, it is much more involved to get it back in than the axle.
Greene County, (about 15 miles south of Springfield, 25 miles east of Dayton).
I think I'll leave things the way they are for the amount and type of driving I'm doing. Plus, I like the way (I think) I look going down the road with drive shafts spinning, and dual wheels turning. Man-ly!

FSBruva

oldshep

If you want the ULTIMATE in streetabilty, bob it. My truck has been bobbed, rear hubs flipped, ouverson lockouts up front and air-o-matic so I oughta' be getting preety good fuel economy. Once I get the fuel tank in..................

JasonS

Why would a sprag transfer case care if you have lockouts? It would effectively be the same as removing the front driveshaft.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue is that you are still spinning all those gears as you go. Stopping that mass of metal is what gets you the mileage.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
oldshep said:
If you want the ULTIMATE in streetabilty, bob it. My truck has been bobbed, rear hubs flipped, ouverson lockouts up front and air-o-matic so I oughta' be getting preety good fuel economy. Once I get the fuel tank in..................
Of course, it's not a deuce-and-a-half any longer either, is it?

HeadWizard

Bjorn-

A couple of us were having that exact conversation about my "deuce" yesterday... Once bobbed, what is it?

Is it a:

deuce minus a half
deuce
ace and a half
deuce minus three quarters
something else?

Let the speculation begin.

Don

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i think it would be an ace and quarter, all the load capacity is in the rear and you are removeing one axle which cuts the load in half..............

HookAChain

I would have to vote for it being a bobbed deuce and a half....after all, the rating of the rears is still 2.5 tons, thats where it gets the term deuce and a half from, just my opinion

HookAChain

I'm picking up a deuce in 2 weeks and have 4 49"(or are thy 48s?) XLs that will g0o0 on the back and 2 AT2As of the same size going on the front(1400r20) within a week after the purchase, I'll let you know the driving difference i notice, should make it easier turning(correct?) and capeable of higher top speeds with the larger diameter tires. I will probably be lifting the cargo bed up 2 inches or so for better tire clearence shortly after as well. This thread is very helpful to me as well as this will be driven at least 3 days out of the week. Running the 14.5 XL duals is very tempting, but I believe the tires I will be using will be more beneficial to driving on the road and highways, and I got them for free so thats always a plus :) . Will I be able to put these tires on the original rims?(has the dual tire setup) I'm not looking forward to wrestling these tires onto any 1 piece rims though. Does anyone know of pictures of a similiar setup? I'd like to see how it will sit before I do it. Right know the funds for 2 piece rims just aren't there, will I have to wait to find wider rims or 2 pieces? (Its a 1966 M35a2 if that helps with the rim size) Around how wide are the original dual rims?
Thanks for any help

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I look at a bobbed duece as a Wrangler on steroids.

They are cool and if I had a few more acres and more money, I would bob one just to have the fun of driving it at Rauch Creek with all the Jeeps. I plan on putting Overson hubs up front on my duece when I get home from Korea and the more I think about it I may also order the one hub and axle for the intermediate axle so it becomes really road happy.

Blythewoodjoe

I don't think your tire thing will work out. You need 10" or 11" rims for those tires. You can buy one piece rims from OD iron. I made rims but if I could have bought the one piece rims I would have. There have been lots of threads on Bob the deuce in the modified deuce section. Check them out if you are thinking of doing it.

Joe Trapp