• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce moves 240,000 lb load

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G, I Love them too, after they are over.

This project has been months in planning. There were floor load concerns and questionable ground conditions involved. We had everything calculated and engineers involved but if things had went really bad, it would have all landed right in my lap (figuratively of coarse, I knew better than stand under the load). On these jobs, even when you do everything right, there is still considerable risk, just due to the shear size, weights, and heights involved. Then you add 2 cranes, 2 winches, and 4 dollies that all have to work together in unison. I felt a lot better about the project after the autoclave was on the ground.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The telescoping boom on that near-side rig is beefy.

Do you happen to know the lifting capacities of those two cranes?
The big crane is a Liebherr LTM 1400, 500 US ton capacity. The smaller crane is a Liebherr LTM 1220, 265 US ton capacity.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
-who puts a 240,000 pound autoclave on the second floor? Nice work, love big projects like that, get to break out all the big tools.

plym49

OP, no disrespect intended, but your Deuce did not move squat. It was just a platform for a couple of winches and a snatch block. It could just as well have been an old I beam and length of chain.

Another Ahab

OP, no disrespect intended, but your Deuce did not move squat. It was just a platform for a couple of winches and a snatch block. It could just as well have been an old I beam and length of chain.
Maybe so, technically. But there's no grace in bursting anybody's bubble. There's no kindness there.
You might need to go say a few Hail Marys, and then come back and play nice. :jumpin:

ABC.jpg

plym49

Maybe so, technically. But there's no grace in bursting anybody's bubble. There's no kindness there.
You might need to go say a few Hail Marys, and then come back and play nice.
I did not write anything mean spirited. This site champions accuracy and logic. If my observation was incorrect I will stand corrected. But unless I am mistaken, the title of this thread is somewhat misleading. OP for sure had fun, OP for sure got to use some of his very neat toys, OP for sure got to do a really interesting thing, and OP sure did move heavy objects (I share a love of that) - but I am pretty sure that Deuce did not pull a 240,000 lb load.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I could have sworn I read that m16ty drove his m35a2 to the jobsite and then used the winches to move a 240,000lb object. I guess anyone who has ever winched out a stuck truck with a deuce didn't actually use their deuce to get it free, since an anchor with a winch attached could have done the same thing.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not write anything mean spirited. This site champions accuracy and logic. If my observation was incorrect I will stand corrected. But unless I am mistaken, the title of this thread is somewhat misleading. OP for sure had fun, OP for sure got to use some of his very neat toys, OP for sure got to do a really interesting thing, and OP sure did move heavy objects (I share a love of that) - but I am pretty sure that Deuce did not pull a 240,000 lb load.
Do you think it wouldn't pulled it if I had put it in gear? It would have.

If I had pulled it down the road, I guess you could say " the deuce didn't pull that, any engine, trans, and axles could have done the same". Good grief, please inform me what parts make up the truck and what parts don't.

Granted, the turn the thread had taken has went more toward talking about the load than talking about the truck and could be considered in the wrong forum. I could move it to the mess hall where you wouldn't have to see it.

rustystud

Do you think it wouldn't pulled it if I had put it in gear? It would have.

If I had pulled it down the road, I guess you could say " the deuce didn't pull that, any engine, trans, and axles could have done the same". Good grief, please inform me what parts make up the truck and what parts don't.

Granted, the turn the thread had taken has went more toward talking about the load than talking about the truck and could be considered in the wrong forum. I could move it to the mess hall where you wouldn't have to see it.
Don't move it. I always enjoy reading how people use the deuce in "real life" situations. Just because someone wants to get all weird about it means nothing. The truck did the work no matter how you look at it. Ever since my classes in the Marines on rigging and vehicle retrieval I have enjoyed how people come up with interesting ways to use a winch to solve complicated extractions.

plym49

Well, my simple and straightforward observation sure seems to have struck some nerves.

Look, it's so simple: If the clutch was engaged and the tires were turning, then the Deuce moved the load. If the Deuce was parked, then the winches moved the load. The Deuce was involved in that the winches were on the Deuce, but in no universe is that the same as the Deuce towing the load using its drivetrain.

There has been no hate from me, no angst, no insults, no innuendos unlike some of what has come back. Don't shoot the messenger because someone raises what obviously is a very unpopular opinion.

rustystud

Well, my simple and straightforward observation sure seems to have struck some nerves.

Look, it's so simple: If the clutch was engaged and the tires were turning, then the Deuce moved the load. If the Deuce was parked, then the winches moved the load. The Deuce was involved in that the winches were on the Deuce, but in no universe is that the same as the Deuce towing the load using its drivetrain.

There has been no hate from me, no angst, no insults, no innuendos unlike some of what has come back. Don't shoot the messenger because someone raises what obviously is a very unpopular opinion.
Well since the deuce engine must be running and the transmission working to get the winch to work, then by your own reasoning ( ie using the drivetrain ) it was the deuce that moved it. Just stating the obvious.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd argue, it was the operator that moved it.

The vehicle is just a machine. It can not start or stop on it's own. It can do nothing without an operator.

So, the operator moved 240,000 lbs. (not the truck)

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ty,

Is this the same deuce that you fit with a wet kit and dump bed? Either way, please leave the post here. I'm always appreciative of the work you put into your rigs, and the generosity you provide by posting. Your contributions make this forum a valuable resource for many.

Maybe a moderator can clean up this thread a little to keep the conversation on track.

Rick

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ty,

Is this the same deuce that you fit with a wet kit and dump bed? Either way, please leave the post here. I'm always appreciative of the work you put into your rigs, and the generosity you provide by posting. Your contributions make this forum a valuable resource for many.

Maybe a moderator can clean up this thread a little to keep the conversation on track.

Rick
The OP is a moderator .

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the pics as promised.
Thanks for following up. That is just really neat work. I'm always impressed that the mounts and lift points hold on the equipment. It's like watching those "found" tank extractions from a deep bog or mud. I sit there and am amazed that the recovery/winch/lift point held.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ty,

Rick

Yes, it's the same truck.

As a mod, I won't delete post simply because I disagree. That could be seen as an abuse of power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks