• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce moving disabled M816

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last weekend the excellent Merrickville, Ontario car show - for the first time - had MVs on display. I brought my deuce, my friend had his brand-new-to-him M816 and another local collector had brought a couple of M1008s and a mule.

The M816 ended up with empty batteries, after having spent the night with the low air buzzer on. Murphy also ensured that, while everybody else has 2-pin slave setups, the wrecker has a single pin receptacle. A little charger hooked up during the day struggled to charge the four wrecker batteries enough for a couple of starting attempts, but it was not enough to get fuel into the engine.

I hooked the 36k lbs wrecker to my empty 14k lbs Deuce with my tow bar and pulled him out of the cramped, sloping laneway where he was parked. Low range, first gear. The 90 degree turn on the road was fun...I actually needed to engage the front axle, because the Deuce was laying down rubber with the spinning rears. I felt like a toy poodle pulling on the leash!

On the level street, I could shift to second and the wrecker driver did his best to spin up the engine in second and third. In the Deuce, it felt ...well...like the toy poodle getting yanked back. I stopped the rig gingerly, but on asphalt it worked quite well.

In the end, we needed to leave the wrecker behind; it seemed that clogged filters from a tank of what stank like paint thinner was the main cause for the no-start. We switched to the second tank that appeared to have a small amount of clean diesel in it and added some more, but the primary filter was too clogged already. M1008 maintenance truck provided boost support.

Those that have pulled a wrecker with their deuce probably think "so, what?", but I thought I post my experience because:
- if you have never done this, you might mistakenly believe that with your Deuce, you are driving a "heavy truck" and
- unless you have hauled heavy, you really have no concept of how heavy a lump of iron a wrecker is, and
- while on level ground the Deuce can pull the wrecker with relative ease in a straight line, do NOT slow down or stop in a turn
- all of the above will get you into a shi**y situation in no time. In a populated environment, you run out of room very quickly, if your rig doesn't stop or turn as you intend it to.

My conclusion: If you have to pull a wrecker with a Deuce, only do it only on level or very gently sloping ground. If getting going is already a challenge, think about how and on which road surface you will stop the rig. At any faster-than-briskly-walking-speed on level ground with good grip, the wrecker has enough momentum to simply push the rear end of your Deuce out of the way, if you brake too hard.

If you have gladhand equipped air hoses or can borrow them from a semi rig, DO hook up the front glad hands of the wrecker to your Deuce's trailer gladhands and enjoy full braking action from the wrecker! If I had had this setup yesterday, I might have considered slowly towing the guy home...

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
BFR had the deuce (no bed, just stright frame) that can, He pulled the 819 though Gainesville when the pressure plate cracked

1958 M274

On the level street, I could shift to second and the wrecker driver did his best to spin up the engine in second and third. In the Deuce, it felt ...well...like the toy poodle getting yanked back. I stopped the rig gingerly, but on asphalt it worked quite well.

In the end, we needed to leave the wrecker behind; it seemed that clogged filters from a tank of what stank like paint thinner was the main cause for the no-start. We switched to the second tank that appeared to have a small amount of clean diesel in it and added some more, but the primary filter was too clogged already. M1008 maintenance truck provided boost support.
If the batteries were low, are you sure there was enough power to open the electric fuel shutoff solenoid? Did y'all manually open it by screwing in the thumb screw, to be sure it was getting fuel? I had one of these shutoffs burn out on me one time, that is why I ask...
Joe

CGarbee

I'll agree with the theory that it is a sludged up filter, especially if it has funky smelling stuff in the tank and the owner hasn't driven it much since it was purchased and, perhaps, has not yet changed the filter.

Running out the thumbscrew in this kind of event just to make sure that you are getting fuel is a good idea. I'll aslo mention that I had a truck that ran well when parked, that would not stay running when I went to pick it up. It turned out that the emergency shut off lever had slightly rotated. The handle was tight to the dash, but the lever was slightly turned so a tweak was all it needed to fire off and run like a champ.

I'm sure that it has already been thought about by the folks on the scene... but: Every one of my M809 series trucks carries a spare fuel filter and control box in the truck... They seem to be items that fail often enough to want one on hand...at least as a talisman to prevent needing them. I'd also consider swapping out the slave plug to one that matched my buddies' trucks or snagging a NATO single pin cable with a two pin adapter...

Thanks for starting this thread. Hopefully, it will help folks out in the future.

sandcobra164

I've pulled some M818's and M817's with my Deuce. I used to be a little crazy and I recovered some trucks off the base in Albany. All you state is true. However, I don't see any chains connecting the vehicles and no air hoses on the setup. I'd only pull a 5 ton in an emergency with a Deuce for the above mentioned reasons. The last 5 ton I pulled was a M818 and I pulled it with the M936. Didn't even feel the truck back there. When pulling one with a Deuce, you'll top out about 35 mph, you'll have to use low range and you'll feel it trying to push you around when coming to a stop or rounding corners. Not much fun there.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did flat tow a Peterbilt one time about 5-miles. There was a guy riding in the Peterbilt to apply the brakes at a stop (I ran deuce air to the truck). I wouldn't have done it without somebody in the back to help me stop.

P.S.- Before everybody tells me how illegal this was, the cops were there and they said to get the thing out of the road. I made do with what I had.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Pete tractor weighs half what the 816 weighs and does not scrub rears.

Why was it illegal? Like you said, you did with what you had. No harm no foul......

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only question I have is, why do they make 816's so heavy in Canada? Mine only weighs 35K down here in Florida :jumpin:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why was it illegal? Like you said, you did with what you had. No harm no foul......
It is generally frowned upon by law enforcement to have somebody riding in the towed vehicle. I'm not sure I could have stopped it going down hills without somebody back there.

The Pete weighed 26k according to the scrap yard scales.

jimmcld

I had a friend pull my 816 with his deuce. I stayed in the 816 to apply the brakes and help with steering, if needed. The difference was that my 816 was running. I had just dropped a drive shaft and it wouldn't go.

m816

Even wreckers don't like towing wreckers. They are heavy and only want to go in a straignt line and tend to not want to stop. Doing any of the above mentioned things with a deuce is asking for trouble. Always use the same size or larger truck for a tow vehicle. Use tow bars and chains and air lines where available. Dueces are no more than big pick up trucks.

jwaller

I once towed an 816 with my 818 that weights 26k. Getting moving was easy, stopping required skill. I never got above about 25 mph for the entire 20 mile trip. Wouldn't do that again. I had the air lines hooked up but the reason it was being towed was bc it had no brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks