• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce noses...

JCKnife

FWIW - I got my truck from the GL (Ex USAF) and it came with holes in the front bumper to mount a pintle and the heater air intake is in the lower position.
I guess I'd better get the pintle off my parts truck before i say for sure, but no way do I think it'll mount through 4 small holes like that.

OD_Coyote

I guess I'd better get the pintle off my parts truck before i say for sure, but no way do I think it'll mount through 4 small holes like that.
The bolt pattern on the front bumper of my truck matches the bolt pattern of the rear pintle of my 1944 Willys MB. I do not think you would want to have a heavier pintle than that mounted to the front bumper without adding some supporting structure behind it.2cents

Attachments

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumper steps can be the same as the tailgate steps. Others are a fold up affair. The folding steps are nicer, but tend to be much more expensive.

Heath_h49008

You wouldn't need a ton of steel there. It's not like you're towing a max load in reverse over rough terrain. Even a modest doubler should be more than enough if you think the bumper too weak.2cents

RIDDLE1

Bumper steps can be the same as the tailgate steps. Others are a fold up affair. The folding steps are nicer, but tend to be much more expensive.
The previous owner installed to of the folding steps on my truck. The only thing I see that I don't like about them is the fact that if you are going through a ditch(or the like) you have to remember to pull the pins so that they will fold. If yo don't you run the risk of bending them.

I also need to locate a hood handle!

Attachments

gunboy1656

I was told a loong time ago ( and still not sure it was correct, but made sense). The non fold step is for the W/OW trucks, and the folding style was for the winch trucks due to the height change of the bumper.

RIDDLE1

I was told a loong time ago ( and still not sure it was correct, but made sense). The non fold step is for the W/OW trucks, and the folding style was for the winch trucks due to the height change of the bumper.
That would make sense. The winch bumper sticking out further also makes the steps more likely to touch the earth.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

OD_Coyote

Is the hood handle the same part as the frame handles? If so I might have a couple spares...
McMaster-Carr lists some on their site that have similar dimensions for $2.75 ea.
I just ordered a (2) for my truck.

Part Number: 3060T47
Description: Square U-Bolt, Zinc-Plated Steel, 4" W, 2-5/8" L Inside
1090# Work Load Limit

Link to drawing:
McMaster-Carr

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
McMaster-Carr lists some on their site that have similar dimensions for $2.75 ea.
I just ordered a (2) for my truck.

Part Number: 3060T47
Description: Square U-Bolt, Zinc-Plated Steel, 4" W, 2-5/8" L Inside
1090# Work Load Limit

Link to drawing:
McMaster-Carr
FYI, The hood handles used in the MWO were 5 3/8" center to center not 4".

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use the frame tiedowns for hood handles.

Darwin T

the first picture is both trucks before i added winches. the M109a3 is newer with the lights on top. the M35a2 has the lights on the plate that can be turned (just never did it). the M35a2 lights leave a dark spot out about 20 feet infront of the truck, but it is the area that you can't see from the cab anyway. looking over the hood from the cab works fine. both trucks now have LED headlights that helps also.

Attachments

OD_Coyote

FYI, The hood handles used in the MWO were 5 3/8" center to center not 4".
Thanks for the info, I was not aware of that. I was going with the assumption they were 5.0" center to center like the hood handle on my last truck which was a 1965 M35A2. Anyway, 4.0" will do the trick for my application.

greg burns

Hood Handles

The local TruValue hardware stores carry a square U-bolt that looks very much like the hood handles I've seen. It even includes a backing plate. I think it is about 5" wide. It is made from 3/8" stock. The photo shows it next to one of the frame handles.

Attachments

TACTICAL6

1. The earlier deuces all had low-mounted lights, but the ones with winches tended to have a reduced field of vision due to the low lights and high bumper. So, over time the factory changed it to the wo/w trucks with lows and w/w highs, then everything had highs.

2. Hood grab handle is a field mod, and a very common one. Makes opening the hood just a little easier, but it's not that important.

3. Later trucks, about after 1970, came from the factory with the stone guard, some of the earlier trucks had the mod done to it later on. If your truck is 1960 or before, and you want a perfect resto, no stone guard. I wouldn't worry too much about it, odds are if you're driving a deuce you don't need to worry about traffic bunching up in FRONT of you to sling gravel in your radiator.

4. I've only seen the intake going in the top hole, some with a "air funnel", some without. I have never seen the air intake for the heater going in the lower hole, at least not in any of the 100+ trucks I have previewed.

5. If you have a winch truck, notch SHOULD be on top.

6. USMC clips were on front bumpers, but sometimes they were cut off if the truck went back into Army service from the USMC. If they were cut off, you'll see the "feet" of the paper clip still on the bumper, and the "loop" removed.

7. Front pintle hitch, I haven't seen any of the trucks come out of GL with this on, but I have seen a few guys here add them. They are very useful for hooking up to a trailer, and winching something onto it, if you have a w/w truck.

A couple other pics with front end mods you might like:

Here are a couple with a pintle hitch I found awhile back.

Attachments