• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce not recognized by traffic lights.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm tellin y'all , ya gotta us BB's.. I know, I'm an idiot..lol
But there sooo much fun :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Irv

The loops sense a vehicle the same way a metal detector works, pretty much. The loop has some inductance, and that inductance will rise in the presence of a ferromagnetic object near it. Steel is ferromagnetic. One way of looking at it is that the loop(inductor) and a fixed capacitor have a natural resonant frequency. The inductor and capacitor ring, electrically speaking. The ringing, or resonant frequency, drops a little when a vehicle comes over it, because the inductance increases and the resonating combination of inductance and capacitance is changed. The deuce has plenty of steel to change the loop inductance, but it is so high up off of the ground that the effect is reduced. A motorcycle is close enough, but lacks enough steel to alter the inductance enough to trigger the light. A magnet will not affect the inductance, because it is being sensed at some high frequency, which might only be in the hundreds of cycles per second, but the important thing is that it is not sensing the DC, or unchanging magnetic field. Maybe tie a bucket of nails on a rope and drop it to the ground and back up to trigger it? :mrgreen:
Irv

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My 819 has been know to roll though a few red lights after it got tired of waiting [thumbzup]

steelandcanvas

The loops sense a vehicle the same way a metal detector works, pretty much. The loop has some inductance, and that inductance will rise in the presence of a ferromagnetic object near it. Steel is ferromagnetic. One way of looking at it is that the loop(inductor) and a fixed capacitor have a natural resonant frequency. The inductor and capacitor ring, electrically speaking. The ringing, or resonant frequency, drops a little when a vehicle comes over it, because the inductance increases and the resonating combination of inductance and capacitance is changed...Jim
Finally, the correct answer. Thanks Irv!

Cycletek

I have had to put my motorcycles kickstand down on the sensor wire to get lights to cycle sometimes. I have 20 x 14.00 Singles on my 5 Ton which even puts the metal further away.

[thumbzup]

Flyingvan911

Try revving your engine. Maybe the increase in the alternator speed will trigger it. Maybe you could get a little spike in the voltage or magnetic field. I am sure that sounds wierd but I think you get what I'm trying to say.

How about a "Trunk Monkey". If you are having trouble with the light changing push the button and a little trap door opens and out he jumps. Runs to the light controller and beats the crap out of it until the light changes. A few bananas goes a long way. Also, you can use it on road raged drivers. Push the button and he runs over and pulls the driver out by their nose, beats the crap out of them and then throws them back in the car, call it an attitude adjustment . They really work..........

barefootin

How about a "Trunk Monkey". If you are having trouble with the light changing push the button and a little trap door opens and out he jumps. Runs to the light controller and beats the crap out of it until the light changes. A few bananas goes a long way. Also, you can use it on road raged drivers. Push the button and he runs over and pulls the driver out by their nose, beats the crap out of them and then throws them back in the car, call it an attitude adjustment . They really work..........
In my house these are called kids.....................

I also have had issues tripping lights in the Deuce and in my MGB-GT. Being lowered an inch it's definately not too high off the ground and it's not a weight thing either if you've ever pushed one....... :)