• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce not starting

cutnhaul

My alternator decided to give out last week. I installed my new one from Tim at Wolverine Technologies. It is an awesome kit. Install went fine. However, when I went to try to crank the truck, all I got was a click. I went back out this morning to look again and started checking wires. I havent found anything loose so far. Batteries are both fully charged. Any ideas or things to look for? Truck is 1968 Kaiser

dabtl

Check the starter relay on the passenger side of the block. I had a truck that would intermittently not start, especially after it warmed up and was shut down. I discovered the battery cable post had stripped threads and would not tighten up enough to ensure a constant connection. You could have a similar problem or even a bad relay.

KsM715

I had a "no start" problem with my deuce when I had it. There is an excellent trouble shooting guide/step by step process in the TM. Your problem could be any number of things and your going to get a number of different answers on here. What I did was print off the pages I needed then took them out to the truck with me and just followed them and go my truck running with out a bunch of back and forth, in and out, online checking different things that different people suggested trying. I don't want to be one of those RTFM guys but in this case that would be simplest way of diagnosing the problem.

edit*. TM 9-2320-209-20-2-1 Start at page 25-1

Last edited:

cutnhaul

Well turns out the starter was stuck. Got a pull start amd the truck fired up fine. My next question is, how to I check the battery voltage at the batteries? I checked and i was getting 17.5 volts on the front battery and 7.5 on the rear.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the engine running or not? If not running, and you measured from terminal to terminal on each battery, you have bad batteries. If it was running, you are boiling out the front battery because the rear battery is bad.

cutnhaul

Yes it starts fine now. I had tried to start it with the dead batteries and the starter must have engaged or bound up. It is fine now.

cutnhaul

With the engine running or not? If not running, and you measured from terminal to terminal on each battery, you have bad batteries. If it was running, you are boiling out the front battery because the rear battery is bad.
I checked them with engine running. They are reconditioned batteries from interstate. I will probably have them load tested at oreillys tomorrow.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your getting ready to have one explode on you if it was at 17v! For your own safety, do not start the truck up anymore. Remove the batterys from the truck and take them in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks