• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce number and paint questions

panzerjunky

Hello
New member First post. I have a 71 M35A2 will be trying to clean her up a bit try to restore to as like new as possible. Where do the hood and bumper numbers come from. And what would be the correct color of OD green as I see newer repaints from the guys in Ogden and such to be a much lighter green than what I would expect on a Viet Nam era truck. Lastly where would you go to get paint?
Thanks Jerry

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello
New member First post. I have a 71 M35A2 will be trying to clean her up a bit try to restore to as like new as possible. Where do the hood and bumper numbers come from. And what would be the correct color of OD green as I see newer repaints from the guys in Ogden and such to be a much lighter green than what I would expect on a Viet Nam era truck. Lastly where would you go to get paint?
Thanks Jerry

First, welcome to the site.

Second, the proper spelling for the Deuce is Deuce. (Okay, so I am nitpicking...)

Third, for a donation to the site CARNAC may be able to help you with finding out where your Deuce came from.

Fourth, I suspect color is up to you depending on where the truck came from and what you want it to represent after you are done painting.

Lastly, I get my paint from Rapco. Rapco Parts Company
You can get it spray cans and or gallon containers. It just depends on what you want it to look like afterwards.

IMHO
steve

PS I lived in SD for 5.5 years around Claremont Mesa and then up in Rancho Penasquitas. (sp?)

Numbers

Hello
And what would be the correct color of OD green as I see newer repaints from the guys in Ogden and such to be a much lighter green than what I would expect on a Viet Nam era truck. Lastly where would you go to get paint?
Thanks Jerry
One place to see original paint is under your data plates. 383 Marine Forest Green is a good Vietnam era paint color. Its a semi-gloss and looks pretty good when done. M109guy has some really good photos of his vehicle refurbishment done in this color. MilitaryTrucks.ca Website - M109 Military Truck RV Project

Your in an area that has multiple options for getting your paint from. A good automotive paint store (ie... Sherman Williams and yes they are pricey, etc...) will have the mixing codes available for 383 Marine Forest Green. However, you can always order it from one of half a million online paint sources also. Just remember to add into the total cost Hazmat fees (if applicable) and shipping costs before you decide.

Enjoy the site and welcome. Oh, don't forget to post pictures of your vehicle or the photo Nazi's will be out in force :)

Last edited:

Jones

As you get farther into the color choices you'll see a five-digit code associated with the different shades. "383 Green" is 34094 for example. The code comes from the FS 595b Color Fan Deck which is the standards guide for every color the government uses from military camo colors to fluorescent "Safety Purple".
Go to www.colorserver.net and enter that code number and you'll see a sample of that color (remember that computer monitors alway have some degree of drift from a true representation). You can also search by color; greens, browns, etc. as well as gloss, matte and flat finish.

Welcome to the site, and happy painting.

Attachments

joshgar8

Use the service that CARNAC offers, just put the numbers off your data plate on his post 2009 VIN info and he will get you all the info you need. Dont forget the donation to the site though.

I just ordered some paint from Rapco. I went with the 383 green. I havent used the paint yet, it just came in yesterday so i cant verify the quality just yet but their service and shipping was top notch. I did read good reviews about their products though. If you can post pictures on here of the paint ur trying to match, some guys will let you know the color you need to buy.........FWIW