• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Oil Leak Question

palskidoo

Hello Everybody,

Some of you may know that this past weekend the Northeast had an unusual heat wave run thru with temps. pushing 100 degrees! The hottest day was last Friday, which happened to be the day of a Luke Bryan country concert that I had been looking forward to driving the deuce too for a some tailgating. Needless to say running up the highway and idling in traffic for about an hour she got HOT!!! temp gage read 210 degrees when we finally stopped, no big deal, we tailgated for a few hours and then ran home around 8pm back down the highway. The motor got hot (about 210) again and then when I stopped at home after letting her idle for a moment i shut her down and noticed she was "puking" oil on the ground from the plug hole in the picture. I thought it might be a rear main seal on the motor but the leak stopped after a few min. The following day I drove her across town to a spot i can leave the truck for a while as i look up how to change the seal but when i parked there was no leak, maybe or two but not like puking oil the day before.

So could it be a rear main seal or maybe a breather tube is plugged a bit and when the motor got cooking the oil just pushed out somewhere else? I'm not the diesel mechanic i wished i was so any advice would be great and im really hoping its not a rear main!!

thanks!

Attachments

palskidoo

im 90% sure its motor oil. It was jet black too but i can confirm this when i get home from work....

Flyingvan911

If you got some diesel in the oil it may leak when hot. When my manifold heater put a gallon of diesel in my oil the engine leaked in the front. I changed the oil and the leak stopped. Do you have the intake manifold heater or is your FDC not bypassed?

palskidoo

If you got some diesel in the oil it may leak when hot. When my manifold heater put a gallon of diesel in my oil the engine leaked in the front. I changed the oil and the leak stopped. Do you have the intake manifold heater or is your FDC not bypassed?
this is why i like to ask advice on this site! i never would have thought of diesel getting into the motor oil....

i have an intake manifold heater and the truck is still 99% military so i'd venture to say the FDC is not bypassed. im making a list of things to look for now when i go see the truck tonight

scooter01922

Mine generally likes to leak more oil when its particularly hot. It certainly was a scorcher friday with sat and sun being toasty too. The thermometer on my car read 102 on the way home at 3pm. Haven't really seen much more than a few drips from that drain though, rear main would be the likely leak location but like the others said if its fuel dilution related you might have an easier fix.

ducer

That sucker was just marking it's territory!:whistle: But seriously what is the fluid level in the transmission? Oil level should be atleast 1 nuckle below the fill plug hole. Oil expands when hot and will belch out bering retainer.

Good luck,
Denny

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks