• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce oil.

JDToumanian

BLKBRD... So you don't trust Wikipedia? Me neither, it was just an example of an article that explained that "W" means "Winter". How about Castrol? Would you believe them? They make motor oil, read what they say:

Motor oil viscosity - Castrol Motor Oil

W means Winter. To write "30w" in reference to "30 weight" would be confusing terminology, "SAE 30" or "30 weight" or "30wt" is clearer, and that is the terminology the SAE and thus I, use. In your quote above, 0w does indeed mean 0winter oil, ("The "W" refers to low-temperature performance," not weight), but as you posted there is no 30winter grade.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk (like my avatar, "The Jerk"), or know-it-all, and I apologize if I come across that way. I admit I was tired and a bit grumpy when I wrote that other post, but I can lose my patience over motor oil - It's one of the few automotive subjects that I have a passionate opinion on..... Because I do my homework. How many people worry about the sulfated ash content of their oil, for example? I research which brands have the lowest percentage. (Shell Rotella, if you were curious). I read about the chemistry of oil because I like to know what oil companies have added to their base stock and why. I find such things fascinating.

Everyone if free to use whatever oil they like, but there are too many who use the "wrong" oil (meaning not what the equipment manufacturer's engineers instruct you to use) because "I always use this oil" or "My Dodge truck takes 15w-40 so it must be right for my deuce". Follow the equipment manuals (aka TMs) and you can't go wrong.

:deadhorse:

Jon

Last edited:

BLKBRD

I like Castrol and Mobil1 oils (both are pricy though). I’ve had good luck with them and according to the lab test that I have read they have a good ash and metals content. But that is nothing more than personal preference. I think people should use what they like based on past experiences and where they live. If you live where it’s nice and warm all year round and like a single weight oil I would use that, or if you like a multi weight oil in the same climate I would use that. If you live where you have extreme temperature changes you might want to use a multi weight oil unless you want to change oil twice a year. The only thing I say is a must is to use good quality oil!!!

JD I apologies also.:-D I’m not stupid and I don’t tolerate anyone talking down to me. I agree that several of the oil manufactures will refer to the multi weight oils as their winter oil or blends because it’s a lot easier than trying to explain how viscosity is computed and how they formulate a multi weight oil so its easer to say it means winter. Dealing with aircraft we use industry standards/ mil specs for everything.

jugshooter

Best synthetic oil

Hi Guys, Just to let you all know, there is another full-synthetic brand oil out there that out performs Mobil and Castrol. It's AMSOIL. I use it and sell it. Change once a year in my (civilian) Jeep. They make a full line of synthetic oils for all engines from lawnmowers to big truck diesels. Also gear lubes and greases. As well as their own filters AMSOIL dealers sell Wix and Donaldson filters so they cover a lot of applications.
Check them out at AMSOIL Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil, Engine Oil

jugshooter

ironhorsethegeneral

We have been using the Amsoil synthetic 15w40 in all our vehicles with no problems. We did see a little improvement by using this oil. We also use the Donaldson spin on oil filters from them. We also only have to change the oil once a year or 25000 miles. The only thing you have to do is change the filters once every 6 months. This saves you money in the long run.

mudguppy

the reason i ask is that you have no way of knowing the state of the oil at 25000 miles without doing an analysis. at that kind of interval your 40w could have diluted or been sheared down to 5w.

so why did you pick 25k as an interval w/out supporting documentation?

ironhorsethegeneral

You use it to check the condition of the oil that is true. If you want to check the condition of your oil that is up to you. Our vehicles do not get that many miles on it any way so we go for the 1 year interval. If I suspect there is a problem I will analyze at that time. But at this time I am not worried about it.

jugshooter

AMSOIL uses the 25,000 mile oil change interval as standard for cars and light trucks. Usually for bigger trucks they say 4 times longer between oil changes with AMSOIL because it is a better oil. THey have done much testing over the years since 1972 when they introduced synthetic motor oils to the market.

mudguppy

AMSOIL uses the 25,000 mile oil change interval as standard for cars and light trucks. Usually for bigger trucks they say 4 times longer between oil changes with AMSOIL because it is a better oil. THey have done much testing over the years since 1972 when they introduced synthetic motor oils to the market.
ok, so we're relying on advertising?

look, that's cool and all. but if you submit an oil analysis to someone like Blackstone lab, they suggest sampling at no more than a 10k interval to ensure that your oil is doing it's job. personally, i'd have to have consistent results to let some oil go 25k before changing. that's a lot of miles and oil can do amazing things in that amount of time.

jugshooter

With AMSOIL it's more than just advertising. They do the testing and so do a lot of others. As you say, the best way to know what you have is to do the oil analysis every 10-12k miles or oil change.