• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce on a gooseneck trailer?

Parker2

Has anyone hauled a Duece & Half on a gooseneck trailer with a 1 ton pick up? How did that go? I dont think the weight is a problem, it's just the size I am worried about.

Thanks.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't done it but there are several here that have and I've seen it done. Don't think you will have a problem.

coeder

I have hauled one to a show and it is fine. Assuming your trailer is rated for the weight.:-D

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done dozens of hauls with a deuce on my triple axle gooseneck behind by 3/4 ton and it has done very well.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 109 on a regular gooseneck puts you over the 13'6" mark but under 14', depends what the legal height is in your state. The trucks with the cage on them are actually taller than a 109.

1stDeuce

Towed mine home about 500 miles on a tandem dually gooseneck... 20k rated. I've seen one (on ss a while ago) on a tandem axle gooseneck with singles, (usually rated for 14k) and that did NOT look cool. Seriously overloaded tires, axles, bearings, springs... Eeeek.

If you've towed heavy before and respect it and have a clue, it's not anything you haven't already done, and you're good to go. If you've not pulled with a gooseneck, or not pulled anything heavy, just have some else do it, or at least have someone who has some experience go along and help you... And the brakes on the trailer had better be working GOOD!

As for the truck, this stock Dodge Cummins could have cared less that it had about 20k behind it. We were within load limits on axles by tire ratings and the door sticker, and that's all anyone seems to care about so long as it's a personal vehicle and trailer. We towed through PA, OH, and MI and nobody even looked twice.

I will say that an older or lesser truck might be challenged... My '96 GMC with a 6.5L diesel was running warm with about 17k of M1008's and trailer, but that was a short trip, and the winch blocks a good bit of air... I would NOT have picked up the deuce with this truck.

(sorry about all the words... Mostly I just thought this thread needed more pics!) :)
C

Attachments

Last edited: