• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce parts road trip

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:tigger:I admit, I know I have the MV sickness, sitting in my warm house, making plans to go to glens in KS to get a transfer case and to Hooks Texas for 11.00x20 tires.
2nd week of Jan we leave a balmy 18 degree OHIO, but just as we are ready to leave, Greg shows up with an envelope with cash, you might need this? We take turns driving,[my son & I] we pass through ST LOUIS MO, then run into blowing, blinding snow for 4hrs, we arrive in Salina Ks Sunday eve, motel and rest. Monday is Fantastic, got to meet GLEN and his fantastic Shepard, the yard is a paradise of parts and were like kids in a candy store!!! I call Greg and let him know what is here, the list is made,[ I think our wives hate the green fever?] We load up, transfer case, and deuce cab on pickup,[ hey, that wasn't on list?] then we load up 14x20 tire[nice], ISO sides, little back door, also 5ton cab and canvas cover. Before we leave glen asks , if we can drop off a winch to St Louis on our way, sure, whats one more thing. We leave Glens and crew, head south to pick up a pallet with deuce windows and 2 rolls of wire rope in Peabody, KS, Squeaky loads us up and we are on our way again!! We are on our way to Hooks Tx,[RED RIVER ARMY DEPOT] we travel south I 135 to I35. South Oklahoma, on a 3 lane in a construction zone, going uphill, with no berm, the fuel pump decided not to work, 4 ways on we jump out, son directs traffic, open hood, I crawl[I'm not a spring chicken] up on front of the truck and stick a ink pen into the fuel rail, no pressure? I yell to Gar, kick the gas tank, he does[3 times], gas squirts out of fuel rail and we are on our way!!! Well, we continue on to Gainesville Tx and exit onto US82 east, were driving through town and we see an autozone, gee, we haven't seen on of those since we left OHIO? Yep, you guessed it, we passed it, and even said remember where it is!! Yes, we the fuel pump stopped again 2 miles latter!! We pulled into a gas station, up goes the hood, no pressure on fuel rail, then a feller pulls up and tells us about the open autozone a couple of miles back!![ Yes Lord I'll listen] Kick the tank a few more times, bingo, FUEL pressure! we head back to the parts store, they are still open, well they will close in 15 mins. and they do have a replacement pump! Gar had change the fuel pump 3 months before, so he had left a door in the bed of truck, we made it, with 2min to spare. Rest of story and pics on next post.:popcorn:

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Duece road trip continued

0119161051.jpg aua We left Gainsville, and headed to New Boston Tx, we arrive around 2 am dead tired, we checked in motel and died on the beds. 7.30 am we rolled out to get to Red River Depot, in a hurry, we made it there, checked in went through security,[ lots of paper work, and they run a background check on ya] They gave us directions to Gov liquidations area and a map,[Base is big!!], we picked up my lot of tires,20 1100x20 tires and rims. Well, all loaded up, strapped down, we left Tx, we were just into Arkansas when people flashed their lights at us, we stopped and seen the smoke out of the front axel of the trailer. Yep toast, we jacked er up and chained it up to make it to the next exit, we stopped at 2 repair shops, the last one said they knew where to get new axle, it was back in Texarkana. So in the parking lot we jacked the trailer up and removed the axel,[ we had to borrow torch set from shop $40]. We made it to trailer place, got the axle, returned to parking lot to install axel. As we're installing axel, I look at the rear axel, WTF!! I notice that the lug nut on left rear wheel are lose?[ Now we checked them daily since we left? the only time we didn't was at the motel that morn?] So axel on $450 lighter, and lots of elbow grease we are on our way to St. Louis to drop of Winch. [ oh did I mention the winch had frame section and extentions and bumper with it]

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Duece road trip continued

0118160804a.jpg0118160804.jpg31QSCI16072002.jpgView attachment 607048View attachment 607051On our way to St. Louis, we ran into Ice storm on I55, Trucks and cars every where, we finally pulled off, and went to a motel room. The next morn we check the truck and trailer out, called don in St. Louis, on the road again, latter in the day we made it. We had good weather all the way home, BUT, as we were nearing home, the differential went south, We made it. Now its 3;53am in the morn, and I'm making plans to go to Virginia to get another Duece that I bid and won for $505, Well, that's another story.:clinto:

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've merged all your threads into one thread. Please refrain from starting a new thread each time you wish to add info.

rustystud

Your post brought back some adventurous vehicle recovery stories of my own ! One of the lessons I learned is if "God" is saying to stop and get a part then STOP and get the part ! LOL !!! Another thing is always take along cash ! Some places won't take your Credit or Debit cards !
All together sounds like you had fun !!!

Opie

View attachment 607140View attachment 607141View attachment 607139View attachment 607048View attachment 607051On our way to St. Louis, we ran into Ice storm on I55, Trucks and cars every where, we finally pulled off, and went to a motel room. The next morn we check the truck and trailer out, called don in St. Louis, on the road again, latter in the day we made it. We had good weather all the way home, BUT, as we were nearing home, the differential went south, We made it. Now its 3;53am in the morn, and I'm making plans to go to Virginia to get another Duece that I bid and won for $505, Well, that's another story.:clinto:
Roaddog, glad to see that a member here got that truck! I was eyeing it, but unable to pull the trigger. ("I DON'T need a winch, I DON'T need a winch... MUST BELIEVE that I don't need a winch...") I'm two hours northeast on I-81 near Roanoke, VA should an emergency arise or you need a place to shower/rest.

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Opie, have you looked at it? I'm hoping to hook a towbar and drop the shafts, and air up the tires and head for home. But just in case I'll bring tools and torches, been in too many spots before. I have a 67 jeep Kaiser M109 and 71amg M35w/w, thought well, I'll bib up to650, well that would be less than a winch would cost. I NEED WINCH I NEED WINCH!! HA HA the truck is an extra bonus, Thanks brother, same goes, if your up here we have room around the pond for campfires. GOD bless

Opie

Thanks Opie, have you looked at it?
Snicker. Just the same two rotten GSA pictures you saw. (Seriously. Do the photographers think they are on a stake-out and use a telephoto lens from a quarter mile away?) At least it wasn't covered by snow like I've seen in some auction pictures...
You may want to try and contact the Mechanical Lieutenant at the fire department there and see what they can tell you/what records they have/whether there are any spare parts languishing in the station that they won't be needing any longer as the truck is leaving. (This is always the interesting part of such a recovery where the new owner in addition to the vehicle itself picks up a new engine in the can, new tires, a hard top, and a picture of PFC Elvis Presley riding in that particular truck!)
May you have an uneventful recovery!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks