• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce pickup tomorrow - remaining questions

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am picking up my M35A2 tomorrow for the 60 mile drive home. I have test driven the truck twice but still want to go over all the fluids prior to setting off. And yes, I have searched and read past threads and the TM's and LO's until I am half blind and very frustrated. So....here goes:

1. I want to check and top off the tranny and transfer case of necessary. I know about the bent knuckle approach but I am not sure where the fluid check and add ports are on these items. I could not find a diagram, picture or narrative in the TM's other that servicing breather caps. Can anyone help?

2. I have read a hosts of threads on GL-1 and alternatives but most posts go back a year or more. I cannot find GL-1 locally (yes I checked my truck center and NAPA's) and I certainly don't want to open a whole new synthetic debate. I was planning on adding Amsoil 80/90, Castrol 75/90 or Mystik 90W gear oil if I need to add any. Has there been any concensus as to a GL-1 alternative of late?

3. What is the lug nut size for the standard wheels and for the spare winch? Will a 1/2" drive breaker bar be sufficient?

4. Will a standard 1/4" air fitting work with the Gladhands at the rear of the vehicle. My tanks are holding at 100psi. Should the vehicle be running when performing this service?

Looking forward to responses.

Heavysteven

1. There are fill plugs on both trans and transfer. Crawl under the truck and you will find them in two seconds. I use a 1/2 breaker bar non racheting from Sears. Works great for those square plugs.

2. I used Valvoline 85-90 gear oil I think.

3. Lug nut is 1-1/2". I would say you need an 1/2" impact at least or a 3/4" breaker bar with a long cheater pipe.

4. Can't say

OldDominionIron2

1. tranny and differential levels can be check with a 1/2" ratchet, level should be about 3/4" be low hole. As for the transfer case, I can't answer. I need to crawl under mine and check that out myself.
2. Most gear oil will have a "gl-1 equivalent" printed on it somewhere, I got mine at Advance.
3. Wheels will need a 1 1/2" Budd nut socket, which is a 1 1/2" hex with a 13/16" square farther inside the socket. The spare tire ratchet requires the same 1 1/2" hex. Use a 3/4" drive breaker bar/sockets, with a 4-6 ft. piece of steel pipe as a "cheater" bar. Use a long extension and support it with a jackstand. To remove just the outer tire, drive the inner tire over a piece of 2x6 to raise the outer tire off the ground.
4. As for working with the gladhands, are you talking about replacing them with a female air connection? If not, you will need a gladhand yourself to hook up with the ones on the truck. There may be a connection under the dash on the passenger side to hook an air hose/tool up to (mine was missing when I picked up my truck).

Good luck on your recovery, post pictures when you get home.

Dave

PS: don't forget, left side of truck has left hand threads, right side has normal threads.

Last edited: