• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce pictures finally

panzerbob

I finally got a chance to get some pics of my $400 truck, and got to drive it around a bit as well. Still have not had a chance to get it home, but its in a safe place!

MY truck seems to have neither the sprag or air system for engaging the front drive. Its a 1954, and it has an extra lever on the floor to engage the front axle. I have included a (bad) picture of the data plate corresponding to the drive, it labled "Reo Eager Beaver Ratio Compensator" anyone have any info on this?

thanks
Panzer bob

Attachments

comdiver

That is a "REB" kit that Memphis Equipment sold to convert a sprag box. There have been a few threads about them. They still sell some of the parts.

AZDeuce

It's hard to tell from that first picture, but I think she has a 5-ton bed on her. I'm guessing from the beds front reflector location on a raised panel, and it "looks" like the rear of the bed drops down, and goes straight across, as opposed to the deuces bed which angled up on each corner.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of REB kits, I just swapped my way into a case with one in it! Hope its still there when I go up to fetch.

panzerbob

I'm not sure on the bed, but I will be back up there next weekend, if you tell me where to look, I can take more pics

AZDeuce

panzerbob:

Just take a picture or two of the rear of the bed, from different angles, with the tailgate up. That should show the main differece. Also you could measure it, Deuce beds are 12' long, 5-tons are 14' long.

That's a pretty smoking deal for $400.00, congratulations.

Tom Kelly

AZDeuce

panzerbob:

I was just looking at the pictures of your truck, and realized, that you need to "flip" over the headlight panels. On winch equipped trucks the headlights are supposed to be in the top position, yours are still in the lower (non-winch) position. It's a fairly easy swap, it will require a couple of hours time, no big deal.

Just be careful when unscrewing the nuts off of the rubber insulated bolts, as it's possible to rip the bolt out of the rubber. These are double headed bolts incased in a rubber "donut" , if I remember correctly, you just have to disconnect/unscrew the side that connects the headlight panel to the truck, then rotate the headlight bucket, and blackout light 180 degrees then put the panel back in with the headlight in the up position.

I'm guessing that this is an early gas engined truck and not a multi-fuel, is that correct? I'm guessig that by the lack of protruding air cleaner over the right fender, and the dash panel is the gasser type (no tachometer).

I like your "Reb" set up, I've nver been sold on the sprag set up....they work great, until they break (long story)....I like my M35A2 w/airshift transfercase, as I have full control as to when it's in, or out. This is, as it should be:) Your Reb kit gives you the same control, it's a good thing. Enjoy your truck, and post some pictures of that be when you get the chance.

Tom

jh1990

AZDeuce, me and my dad have a 70 M35 w/o winch and the headlamps are in the top positions. I thought that it was just an option or unit thing as to which position the headlamps are in? I could be wrong, it wouldnt be the first time.

AZDeuce

JH1990

I don't know what year the change took place, David Doyle would have a better idea than me. But from my observation of M35 type vehicles the early gassers, had the "flippable" head light assys, low position for non-winch equipped trucks, high position for trucks w/winch. Many of these trucks stayed in the system a long time and were upgraded to A1/A2 configuration in the latter parts of their service life.

My truck is a 53 Reo, rebuilt in the early 90s to A2 standards, it had no winch, and the headlights were in the low position. I flipped them over as I anticipate adding a winch. I have eveything but the Winch, and it's driveshaft.

As far as I know, all the Deuce multi-fuels that were new built trucks, not rebuilds like mine, had their lights in the high position straight from the factory on a simplified "non-flippable" panel, yours being a '70s truck is probably one of those. I'd have to see a close up picture of your headlight panel area to know for sure.

Hope this doesn't confuse you too much.

Tom

Barney oz

I finally got a chance to get some pics of my $400 truck, and got to drive it around a bit as well. Still have not had a chance to get it home, but its in a safe place!

MY truck seems to have neither the sprag or air system for engaging the front drive. Its a 1954, and it has an extra lever on the floor to engage the front axle. I have included a (bad) picture of the data plate corresponding to the drive, it labled "Reo Eager Beaver Ratio Compensator" anyone have any info on this?

thanks
Panzer bob
Hi mate I too have same REB conversion in my 1966 M35A2 truck in Australia and was wondering the same. Why did they do this conversion to an old spag transfer case and not just update to the newer air shift model?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi mate I too have same REB conversion in my 1966 M35A2 truck in Australia and was wondering the same. Why did they do this conversion to an old spag transfer case and not just update to the newer air shift model?
Hi there.

The thread above is from 2007, so you might not get a lot of response.
The REB retrofit compared to the air shift sprag is a difference of about 35 or 40 years.

Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks